• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie hangs out at the bottom of cage and other questions

Carp5699

Meeting neighbors
So I heard budgies or other birds stay at the bottom of their cage if there's a problem. Cloudy is a healthy budgie and goes to the top of his cage to eat and sleep, but for the majority of the day stays at the bottom. I think it may be because he loves the sola ball toys down there, but I'm not sure. Anyone seem to know whats down (hehe)?

And now for the other questions. Ever since I bought Cloudy little sola balls, he's been obsessed with them. He especially loves throwing then out of his cage, making me fetch them (reverse throw and fetch basically). The thing is, they are almost the only toys he plays with, other than the few other balls and things that hang far down enough for him to reach on the floor. He has a variety of other toys at the top, and I feel like part of the reason he doesn't touch them is because he likes to hang out at the bottom.
So, anyone know what other toys similar to sola material I should buy for him, and does anyone know the reason for this behavior?

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Remove the sola balls for a day and see if he continues behaviour at the top of his cage. Also keep an eye out for other signs like tail bobbing, wheezing, coughing etc. I don't particularly like Spearmint on the floor of his cage, as then he's with his poop and mess from that week as I only clean every saturday (sometimes during the week if it needs it). So perhaps you can get a sort of wooden 'box' to attach to the cage with the sola balls in them, sort of like this but with taller sides:

1670746482587.png ----------------------------------
I've never actually felt sola wood, but from what it looks like, i'd assume its a similar texture to 'soft yucca wood'. I like to use bird kabobs, Spearmint goes crazy for these

Carp5699

Meeting neighbors
Like I said, Cloudy is a healthy little guy, always active and chirping and doesn't have any signs of sickness.

He's not on the actual floor of the cage, I meant on the grate, but I'll see whatll happen if I take away the balls.
He has a bird kabob in his cage, but rarely touches it, unlike my other past budgies who really loved it.

Carp5699

Meeting neighbors
I removed the toys from the grate, and now he's staying at the top, but kinda became a perch potato.
Remove the sola balls for a day and see if he continues behaviour at the top of his cage.

Carp5699

Meeting neighbors
I put them back and he instantly hopped down and started playing with all of them

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I put them back and he instantly hopped down and started playing with all of them
my lovebird pico spends time at bottom of his cage with his bell balls and loves his sola balls too which were at bottom I tried the flat platform he just pushed them off and went back to bottom to save him being on grate I’ve put them in a largish storage tub he’s got room to play in it and it’s so easy to clean everyday so he’s not playing on grate with poo it’s in corner that hasn’t got a perch above so stays clean but I still clean it daily he loves throwing around his link chain too which always fell through grate now he throws it around storage box saves it falling through all time too