• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie got red skin, itching & feathers loss issue

Hadoop

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nimra
Hi! I am new to this forum. Today I just woke up to see my budgie loss most of her feathers over night, and she is very itchy atm. I am attaching a picture of her where you can see, she even got red skin showing. Further I woke up to see her in blood, might i add I cover her completely and securely at night for anything external factors to harm her.
Also the night before she was totally fine and i am unsure what just happened over night. I am very anxious and saddened to see her in much pain. Additionally since her skin is irritated, she keeps scratching and picking more of her feathers and i dont know how to stop her from doing that?

also i gave her corn the other day. Besides that I had an addition of cockatiel to my little family.Thats the only new that happened yesterday other than that everything is as per normal.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is the cockatiel housed with the budgie?

It's possible something spooked her? Maybe got caught on a toy or perch somehow?

Hadoop

Real Name
Nimra
Is the cockatiel housed with the budgie?

It's possible something spooked her? Maybe got caught on a toy or perch somehow?
No the cockatiels are housed separately. No, not really there isn’t any toy or perches that could harm her like that, i have safe proofed them already.

Hadoop

Real Name
Nimra
Hi, any recommendations for my pet? What measures should I take? I took her to the vet and he wrote an anti allergy syrup and a spray. Besides that my budgie is losing more of her feathers which is now spreading up to her hair

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I would think this is linked to an internal health issue, kidney, ovaries would be my first guess.
Allergy would never even be something I would consider it is beyond rare .
Was this an avian veterinarian????
How do poops look?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Was that an avian vet? I agree this could be something else. Is this budgie fairly new in your home? I would look into a feather loss disease.