• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brotogeris

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Bee Bees are awesome little birds with huge personalities! Congrats on Timmy! He is adorable!

Tomsde

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tom Santomartino
It sounds like Peanut is already somewhat tame and settling in. It takes a bit of time for a new bird to settle into it's new home. Connie hardly made a sound for the first 2 weeks after we got her; but then all of a sudden it's like a switch was turned on and she was a different bird. Best wishes with Timmy.

Last edited:

KenDRAGON

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kendra
Used to work at a Pet Supermarket, did know that they could even get brotogeris....glad he got a good home! not one of the best stores to be selling parrots, since its all about the money.

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
He's very cute, congratulations!

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
I agree they are adorable. I had wanted one for a long time, but in the final analysis we found another little conure blended more harmoniously with our flock than I think a canary winged would have. Best wishes with your new addition. Bird Paradise in NJ has literally an entire flock of them up for sale. I've never seen so many at one place at one time before.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Aww, he is so cute! Sounds like he will come around in no time. What a find! :dance5:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Aww! He is just too freaking CUTE! :heart::heart::heart:

BIPE02

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Is this a really old thread? I'm confused. Would love a Timmy update...he's a cutie. They have them all over Panama and they sell for like $5...it's crazy when I see them in the US for $300-500.

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Timmy is adorable! Poor birdie, he had a hard time finding a home at the pet store. At my local pet store, they have two poor greys that only have about 3 toes each (they were just born with out them). They function fine but, because of their messed up appearance, no one has shown interest in adopting them. The pet store has already bumped them down 300 dollars. I would buy them, but I don't have room or money for any more birds right now. :(

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
I love Timmy! I have never seen a birdie like that before!:heart::hug8:

teagal

Moving in
I just got one 2 weeks ago for $50.00 at a bird show. Only problem is he was not hand fed or handled.
It's gonna be a long road to get him tamed.

ariana&mia

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ari
Awwww:heart:
Is petsupermarket a bad place? My local petsupermarket is super pet friendly and the employees always play with the animals, hehe I'm a regular there :)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Congrats!!

PghBirdGirl

Moving in
I know this is an older thread, but I'm looking for help/information on my Brotogeris.

What type/brand of food is best for them? I was told that whatever I fed my 'tiel, I could feed him. As I watch him eat, he throws a lot of various things out of the dish and concentrates on the sunflower seeds, could care less about the millet spray, and just kind of picks and chooses what he eats.

Should he have a dish for baths, or is a spritzing okay?

What type of toys should he have? I feel bad that he only has five different toys, but they are one of each "type" of toy I could think of: a bright, spinning plastic thing, what looks like baby toy keys, a bright colored thing that has feathers sticking out of it, but looks like it's made with hay, and what they called a "destruction" toy where he can pull it apart and there are fun things inside and he can make a nest out of them, and a ladder with a mirror on it.

I'm using "small animal paper bedding" for the tray.

He also has a cuttle bone.

I read somewhere that they need to have a nest like space to be happy...what should I be looking for?

I can feel the trip to the pet store brewing... :)

starrynightxxi

Meeting neighbors
PGH, these links Eliza provided on the second page are great resources for info on the Brotos. Here is another quick link as well;
Resources

Unfortunately Brotos are a bit on the rarer side, not a lot of people keep or have heard of them. Most of what I read when I was starting out said the same, that cockatiel food is fine, but cockatiels are grassland birds, and the canary wings are from the Amazon Basin, so they do have different nutritional requirements, although the size is about right.

My white-wing parakeet focuses heavily on sunflower seeds, too, also pumpkin seeds, so I often will pick them out of his food to use as rewards. He has a huge sweet tooth and readily takes any food that his Royal Taster (me) has first tested for possible poison ;) He loves most fruits, vegetables are a little more iffy, also egg, chicken, and dry cereal. One of the Royal Decrees is that I cannot eat unbeaked rice pudding. If I keep it out of his reach I am guilted with ALL THE KISSY NOISES until I cave.

Depending on your bird, it might take a little while to convince him to try new foods. Leonard was a right pain about that until he gained enough trust in me to try things he saw me eating.

Five toys is plenty for now! but keep in mind that you'll need to build a collection of others to rotate out on occasion. One more link regarding organizing the cage; Companion Parrots - Arranging The Cage | everythingbirdsonline.com

PghBirdGirl

Moving in
Thank you!

My goal is to put various types of food in little dishes in the cage and figure out what he likes the most. As long as they are "every day" foods, I can mix them together and make my own mixed feed.

Oh, yeah! We use an old computer desk as a cage stand (for now) and the drawers are full of 'tiel toys of all shapes, sizes, colors, textures, ect. I was just wondering if there was a specific toy that they loved the most; 'tiels...well...at least mine...love anything that has a bell or that has multiple spinning/twirling pieces. My GSD loves his Kevlar stuff, and so on...Thank you for the link!

Oh, one more question: Is there such a thing as too big of a cage? I know for dogs, you don't want a kennel larger than what they can comfortably stand/turn/lay down in...but I'm considering getting a large, free standing cage...like a standing Parrot cage. Within the next month or two, I plan on adding another bird; a Conure to Keisel's cage (The Conure was Keisels' cage mate at the pet store he came from and the Avian person at the store said they were buddies) but I don't know how big is too big...