• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Broken Toe?

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
So my conure isn’t using one of his toes to grab and it’s just sticking out straight. He doesn’t care if I touch or move it but he does favor it a bit.
Any suggestions as to what is wrong?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It could be arthritis, infection, injured, ??? It could be something very temporary that will get better on its own or something that will need medical intervention. Difficult for us to make a diagnosis. Consider taking your conure to the vet to check on that.

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
It could be arthritis, infection, injured, ??? It could be something very temporary that will get better on its own or something that will need medical intervention. Difficult for us to make a diagnosis. Consider taking your conure to the vet to check on that.
I plan on taking him soon if it doesnt get better. It's not arthritis, or an infection. I'm assuming injured, but like I said, he favors it, but doesn't care if i touch it. I'll try to get a picture when I can. but at the moment he's sleeping and I don't wanna wake him up

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Sometimes soon is too late. What stops you from going to the vet tomorrow?

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
So I know in reptiles they can get a vitamin deficiency that causes their toes to stick out, does anyone know if that can happen in birds? Also could it be a cramp? Can you bend it?
If it isn't better in the morning I would take him in to be safe. Über is the bomb for getting a ride :)

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
So I know in reptiles they can get a vitamin deficiency that causes their toes to stick out, does anyone know if that can happen in birds? Also could it be a cramp? Can you bend it?
If it isn't better in the morning I would take him in to be safe. Über is the bomb for getting a ride :)
Ubers are pretty hard to get around here, but I'll try it! And it could be a cramp maybe? I posted a (shizzty) video on my instagram if you want to see it (it should be up in a second) Vah Medoh (@divinebeastvahmedoh) • Instagram photos and videos . I can bend it, and hes still walking around, hes just limping

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I have to make an appointment for the first thing, as well as the fact that I don't drive.
Oh sorry. I’m spoiled. I’ve been going to this vet for fifteen years and if she’s in, the girls at the front desk fit me in between appointments. If it’s an emergency she sees me right away. Hope you get an appt. soon.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What kind of perches is your bird using? Pedicure perches can cause injuries and skin problems. What is the diet like? Can you post a photo?

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
What kind of perches is your bird using? Pedicure perches can cause injuries and skin problems. What is the diet like? Can you post a photo?
He's got several different perches, some wood, and one pedicure perch but he hardly ever stands on it. Vah Medoh (@divinebeastvahmedoh) • Instagram photos and videos has a video of him walking around. He eats Zupreem pellets for his diet (wont eat fruit or veggies). Dont think his diet has anything to do with it though, I think he just injured his foot

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
It actually looks like it is stuck in a curled position. He looks fine and running around in the video from 3 hours ago and is peeved with you for trying to look at his tootsies!

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
It actually looks like it is stuck in a curled position. He looks fine and running around in the video from 3 hours ago and is peeved with you for trying to look at his tootsies!
SO should I not be worried? At least for tonight I mean? It’s just cramped or something?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
The house finch we rescued and raised had several toes like that due to being bitten on the foot by my Pionus before I realized they could no longer be around each other safely. For her the tendons tightened up and if I messaged and straightened her toes she could use and move them but they kept curling back up and she hated being grabbed and adapted fine. I'd say your guy cuaght his toe or something happened as it looks kinda locked and sorta painful. If it gets better shortly great but I'd take him in either way. If nothing else they can tell you what might have happened and give pain meds if needed. Beepers foot really bothered her till it healed and I knew nothing about safe bird pain meds back then.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I would take him in. That is not a natural position; it looks like he's having trouble moving it.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I would take him in. That is not a natural position; it looks like he's having trouble moving it.
Yeah I would take him in too. But I wouldn't worry too much if you can't get him right away. I know how annoying it is not to drive especially when you need to go to the vets. Just get him in as soon as you can :)

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well lets hope it's something not serious that will come around easily with a little help and time. I kinda think in Beepers case if I had been able to keep working on her toes they might have gotten much straighter and workable with time but it wasn't worth stressing her out once they stopped hurting and she adapted.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll definitely be taking him, since hes still limping pretty bad today. He's eating and drinking like normal, and still moving around alot though
Good that you decided to take him to the vet. Hope things will be OK and that the foot issue will be resolved.

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
My dad decided on a spontaneous trip to see my grandparents and is insisting I go, even though I’ve told him about Medoh.
I’m terrified of leaving him and don’t want to, but it seems like I may have no choice.
What can I do??

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have to make an appointment for the first thing, as well as the fact that I don't drive.
If you haven't using time on creating this thread that appointment could already been made.
I’m terrified of leaving him and don’t want to, but it seems like I may have no choice.
What can I do??
If it's broken your bird needs to see an avian vet ASAP so of course you can't leave him.
And don't wait! That needs to be fixed now and not tomorrow.
I'll definitely be taking him, since hes still limping pretty bad today.
So what are you waiting for?