• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent broken or bruised wing?

kukubirb

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
kuku the birb
Hey guys! About two weeks ago i came home to my one year old female cockatiel, KUKU, having scab-like dried blood on both her wings. When i took her to the vet, he said its nothing to worry about and will heal on its own (probably a very bad night fright) He prescribed an oral medicine to mix in her water for five days, which i did ofcourse, and also gave some vitamins for regular intake. Ever since taking her medicine, she felt better, was more active, and the dried blood disappeared, leaving only a pink-ish bruise like mark on both the wings.

However, since yesterday, she has been feeling a little down again? While there isnt any swelling, the pink-ish bruise or whatever, isnt going away. I was reading into it on the internet and found out that it could be a fracture. In that case, what should i do? My vet isnt available for the coming three days and im worried sick (no other vet in my city). Today, while regular preening, i think she felt a little bit pain when preening that area because she was making these faint noises. ALSO, I heard after fractures, birds cant fly again?? im really worried.. kuku didnt fly much even before this incidence but after this, she only flies when absolutely necessary (like moving short distances not proper flying) She doesnt seem to have any problem in moving her wings, but sometimes tend to "stretch" one of them out and walks around like that. Is her lack of flight because of the wing bruise/supposed fracture or because of the tail feathers and primary wings molting.

*note: when i got her, her wing feathers were already cut except theprimary feathers. plus, her tail was pretty weird, dirty, and didnt look very "strong". because of her first big molt, a few of her primary feathers molted and so did her tail feathers right before the incidence. I noticed that ever since her molt started, she wasnt flying much anyway, but it still wasnt as bad as it is now.

Other than that, shes fine, chirping, preening, poop looks well.

Please any information will be very helpful. I really want her to be able to fly around because i dont plan on clipping her wings aftre they fullly grow.

Attaching videos of her because i dont want to forcefully hold her to take a picture. I was only able to capture one of the wing while she was preening, as it is not viisble otherwise. BOTH the wings have the same marks. please watch the videos here:
AND

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew