• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding a red mosaic satinette/isabel

aria_prime

Checking out the neighborhood
I am new here, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right category.

I have a red mosaic canary that is either a satinette or isabel. I would like to buy a female to breed him, and was thinking of buying a lipochrome red mosaic.
Is this a good combination to breed?
What if I buy a plain white canary for him? Is that a good combination?

I am breeding him to a blue/white variegated hen right now but then read that red factors should only be bred to red factors for the best color. But I'm curious if breeding him to a plain white hen would result in good colors.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Not familiar enough with canary mutations to comment....

Other than the fact that the "red factor" is a result of hybridization with a red siskin finch... so although they are labeled as canaries, they still carry the gene to produce red colors when fed a diet with red dye or beta-carotene's. Therefore, it would make sense to breed red factor to red factor to get the best red factor offspring. Breeding to a non-red factor canary could result in offspring that either don't have the ability to produce red or maybe the ability isn't strong enough?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
the is something about hard feather/soft feather though - Claire will know. I will send her a note.

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hi

Im not sure that a red mosaic can be a satinette or isabel..as they are their own colour mutations...unless he is a cross.

I may get cast out for saying this but I run my own Facebook group called Pet and Show Canaries, novice to expert. My group is aimed for all. There are a few experts who could tell you exactly which type your canary is and what is best to breed with. Please pm me on here if you are interested then i can accept your request to join.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Not familiar enough with canary mutations to comment....

Other than the fact that the "red factor" is a result of hybridization with a red siskin finch... so although they are labeled as canaries, they still carry the gene to produce red colors when fed a diet with red dye or beta-carotene's. Therefore, it would make sense to breed red factor to red factor to get the best red factor offspring. Breeding to a non-red factor canary could result in offspring that either don't have the ability to produce red or maybe the ability isn't strong enough?
A dilution of the red mosaic mutation would occur

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
the is something about hard feather/soft feather though - Claire will know. I will send her a note.
Thank you, feather type is also important..but i am still learning about all the other colour mutations. If it is a mosaic the male presents with more colour and hen does not ..i think?

aria_prime

Checking out the neighborhood
Okay, so if I bred him with a plain white canary, would the red be diluted or the grey?
I know breeding reds to yellows isn't recommended. I've seen pictures and I don't like how they look either. But I feel like breeding to a white would produce different results than a yellow.

He is definitely a red mosaic isabel/satinette. If you google it there are pictures that come up and he looks just like them.

I would love to buy a lipochrome red mosaic hen but they are a lot harder to find so I might not be able to get one until the end of the year. A white canary, on the other hand, I can get tomorrow if I wanted to.