• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breaking the Biting Habit

Natalie K Lim

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Natalie K Lim
hi everyone!

I have a green cheek and I just need some insight or advice about his/her biting habits (currently waiting on DNA results for its gender but been calling him a he for now :) ).

Here is a list of some pointers:
1) he doesn't play with or bite his toys
2) he bites and nibbles everything else and I mean EVERYTHING
3) they said he's 4-6 months old
4) had him for 2 weeks
5) he was the last one sold of his lot cuz he was the one who bit the most
6) favorite things to bite are phone cases and fingernails

I've read and watched a lot videos about breaking a bird's biting habits and the only thing that really helped was trying to put the bird gently but quickly down and walk away for a bit...however it isn't easy to do every time he bites hard. He definitely has his good days when he knows not to bite skin hard. There are days where he would lightly nibble then gradually goes to a harder bite like he's testing me.

I know he's young and a lot of patience is needed but I just want the right guidance.

Here are some general questions I have but any sort of insight is greatly appreciated!!

Am I encouraging bad behavior if I let him bite my fingernails, my phone case or any non toy items??

Do I have to wait until he is out of this biting phase to start training him to do other tricks?

What is the best tactic you used to break the biting habit?

Good ways to play with him to help him stop biting?

Did I just get a bad biter and have to deal? Lol

Thank you for your help!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
1) he doesn't play with or bite his toys
Maybe he's afraid of his toys? Or they aren't very interesting? Or maybe he doesn't know how to play with toys?

You could try adding in some different toys and try hiding treats and food in, on and around the toys to make them more interesting! ;)

2) he bites and nibbles everything else and I mean EVERYTHING
That's normal! Especially for a young bird! Basically, a puppy with feathers! ;)

Now, if he's chewing on something he shouldn't be, try to give him something more interesting and fun that he can chew on instead and make a big deal about playing with that!

6) favorite things to bite are phone cases and fingernails
All very interesting things!

I've read and watched a lot videos about breaking a bird's biting habits and the only thing that really helped was trying to put the bird gently but quickly down and walk away for a bit...however it isn't easy to do every time he bites hard. He definitely has his good days when he knows not to bite skin hard. There are days where he would lightly nibble then gradually goes to a harder bite like he's testing me.
Birds bite for many reasons. Biting can also be self-rewarding. The only bite that can't be rewarded is the bite that never occurs.

Is he biting out of boredom? Try to teach him new behaviors, such as target training and turn around, or try and engage him in toys and foraging activities.

Is he biting because he's scared? Back off or remove whatever item that's scaring him.

Is he tired? Try taking him back to his cage and keep interactions with him short.

Is he hungry or thirsty? Make sure to have food and water with you or take frequent trips back to his cage to see if he needs anything.

Am I encouraging bad behavior if I let him bite my fingernails, my phone case or any non toy items??
Potentially. I would recommend avoiding that and teaching him to play with bird appropriate items.

Do I have to wait until he is out of this biting phase to start training him to do other tricks?
Birds can learn new behaviors before they are even weaned, so he's not too young at all to start learning! ;)

What is the best tactic you used to break the biting habit?
Don't get bit! (easier said than done! I know!)

Main thing is is to learn to read his body language and to back off before the bite occurs and avoid situations where you know a bite is likely to happen. Then teach alternative behaviors that you can also cue him to do that would prevent him from biting - such as picking up an object with his beak.

Good ways to play with him to help him stop biting?
Target training with him in the cage! ;) If he's in the cage, then the only reason you'd get bit is if your flesh is too close and he nabs you! You do however need to learn how to give him rewards without getting bit, and there are several ways!

Did I just get a bad biter and have to deal? Lol
Not at all! But it does require changing how you think to better avoid getting bitten and learning how to communicate with him!

Start here! :D

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I realized that mine was biting because she was mimicking me kissing her. She's almost 7 months and like a child she interacts by putting her mouth on everything. Sometimes I can tell she's just tasting my skin because she will run her tongue over my finger, but not clamp down. Sometime she bites and makes a kissing sound. I've stopped kissing her and she does it less now. When she does, I distract her by making her move to another finger. She does still nip at my finger when it's time to go back in the cage. Now I tell her it's time to go back in the cage and play with her for a minute or two before, then slip her in the door before she realizes what I'm doing. I make her get onto the ladder and it requires more coordination, less chance of her nipping me before she steps off. It's been a work in progress, but I feel like I'm finally making some. The Blue Crown is another story. He has a wicked beak and has only been with us a few weeks. He will take some time.

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
he bites and nibbles everything else and I mean EVERYTHING
favorite things to bite are phone cases and fingernails
That sounds just like Sunflower! She is a 6mo GCC. They are nibbly birds, and Sunflower isn't destructive when she nibbles. If she bites too hard, we make a loud eep! sound like another bird would make if play got too rough. You can also tell if they are upset. Sunflower bites hard when she doesn't want to go in her cage. She lets us know before she bites, though. She also apologizes when she bites too, too hard.
I realized that mine was biting because she was mimicking me kissing her.
Sunflower also gives kisses by nibbling our lips. It's adorable how she asks for kisses. She will lean in when she wants a kiss. When I get home from work, Sunflower flies to me and she won't fly off until she has given me an excited (read: somewhat painful) kiss. She also gives kisses on command. It's pretty awesome because we didn't really train her to do it. She gets a "Thank you for the kissy!" and goes on her way.

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Kylo likes to chew fingernails and phone cases too! I'm working on discouraging that by giving him foot toys like a finger trap or vine ball.