• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Bosco Updates

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bosco got to come out today now that he's been settling in more here :) was exploring the sides of his cage for about 90 mins before he went back in for lunch. Figured it was best to keep it a short positive session vs potentially stressing him out.

PXL_20230524_151318568.MP~2.jpg

Ripley was caged and covered, and I put a barrier between cages so Bosco didn't beeline to him. I would like to get a mosquito net or similar that I can hang from the ceiling and go all the way to the floor.

PXL_20230524_151828152~2.jpg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bosco got to come out today now that he's been settling in more here :) was exploring the sides of his cage for about 90 mins before he went back in for lunch. Figured it was best to keep it a short positive session vs potentially stressing him out.

View attachment 429669

Ripley was caged and covered, and I put a barrier between cages so Bosco didn't beeline to him. I would like to get a mosquito net or similar that I can hang from the ceiling and go all the way to the floor.

View attachment 429671
Im beyond thrilled that he's able to come out and explore to his hearts content. :heart:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So right after his last excursion, my mom brought her mini Aussie over to stay with me for the weekend. I love her dog, but I trust her not at all with the birds. I decided it was better to not take any risks, and both bird were in their cages for the weekend.

I am trying to only let him out when I have a good 4 hours available where I don't have anywhere to be or anything to do, as I want to make sure he's safe and the experience is stress free. So it wasn't until this Thursday we tried again. Though the door was open for 2-3 hours, he didn't venture out.

Today we had some more free time, and within 10 minutes he was perching outside!

PXL_20230603_161441794~2.jpg

Then he fluttered onto the floor. He has most/all his flights but still learning to use them.

He kept coming closer to me on the couch and then dashing under Ripley's cage and inspecting the mess.

PXL_20230603_173803855~2.jpg

At one point he learned that his wings do work a little and managed to fly 6 inches off the floor about 8-10 feet, where he promptly inspected the kids mess at the other end of the room.

PXL_20230603_180412883~2.jpg

Finally he made his way back up to the top of his cage, where he had a quick preen and a small nap.

PXL_20230603_191839837~2.jpg

He finally climbed back into his cage for food and drink (I did have a bowl of water on the ground for him, but you know how the water at your house always tastes better ;) )

Anyways, he got a little over 3 hours out today, no pressure, no chasing, and he got to call all the shots. :)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So right after his last excursion, my mom brought her mini Aussie over to stay with me for the weekend. I love her dog, but I trust her not at all with the birds. I decided it was better to not take any risks, and both bird were in their cages for the weekend.

I am trying to only let him out when I have a good 4 hours available where I don't have anywhere to be or anything to do, as I want to make sure he's safe and the experience is stress free. So it wasn't until this Thursday we tried again. Though the door was open for 2-3 hours, he didn't venture out.

Today we had some more free time, and within 10 minutes he was perching outside!

View attachment 430190

Then he fluttered onto the floor. He has most/all his flights but still learning to use them.

He kept coming closer to me on the couch and then dashing under Ripley's cage and inspecting the mess.

View attachment 430191

At one point he learned that his wings do work a little and managed to fly 6 inches off the floor about 8-10 feet, where he promptly inspected the kids mess at the other end of the room.

View attachment 430192

Finally he made his way back up to the top of his cage, where he had a quick preen and a small nap.

View attachment 430193

He finally climbed back into his cage for food and drink (I did have a bowl of water on the ground for him, but you know how the water at your house always tastes better ;) )

Anyways, he got a little over 3 hours out today, no pressure, no chasing, and he got to call all the shots. :)
I can't even put into words how happy I am for him :heart:

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

View attachment 430190

View attachment 430191

View attachment 430192

View attachment 430193

Awwwwww so sweet!!

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
oh wow seems like Bosco is coming out of his shell! that's awesome! So proud of him. How do you catch him if you need to put him back in his cage? Having issues with this with Mojo, hes fine with me touching him but not inside his cage yet and if he's out and I try to put him back up, he just flies around out of my reach. Any ideas? He's fully flighted btw.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
oh wow seems like Bosco is coming out of his shell! that's awesome! So proud of him. How do you catch him if you need to put him back in his cage? Having issues with this with Mojo, hes fine with me touching him but not inside his cage yet and if he's out and I try to put him back up, he just flies around out of my reach. Any ideas? He's fully flighted btw.
I specifically am only doing it during times I don't have to catch him right now, and waiting for him to return to his cage for food/water.

In the past with other untame/hands off birds I reserved their favorite treat until they had to go back home. I would show them the treat, put it on a platform perch or other visible spot in the cage, say "Home!" and walk away a bit. When they went inside the cage, I said "Home" again, and closed the door, and gave them another of the treat through the bars.

If you can do this a few times a day, it's even better. That way you can let them out almost as soon as they are closed in, and it shows them that "Home" doesn't necessarily mean a long in cage time.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I specifically am only doing it during times I don't have to catch him right now, and waiting for him to return to his cage for food/water.

In the past with other untame/hands off birds I reserved their favorite treat until they had to go back home. I would show them the treat, put it on a platform perch or other visible spot in the cage, say "Home!" and walk away a bit. When they went inside the cage, I said "Home" again, and closed the door, and gave them another of the treat through the bars.

If you can do this a few times a day, it's even better. That way you can let them out almost as soon as they are closed in, and it shows them that "Home" doesn't necessarily mean a long in cage time.
Excellent idea... I'll try it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Excellent idea... I'll try it.
Hope it works for you! (And for me with Bosco!) My quakers and green cheek especially all started going Home on command :)

Ripley is a bit more stubborn, but he can't resist almonds too long :rofl:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Problem is, I couldn't find THE TREAT for Pestaa yet. Rio is not food motivated, but Inca goes inside on request and with almonds:p

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Problem is, I couldn't find THE TREAT for Pestaa yet. Rio is not food motivated, but Inca goes inside on request and with almonds:p
Any special toy types? My green cheek loved noisy foot toys :)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobby got wise to the treat trick but he doesn't fight going in for the night as hard as he used to.
He gets tired and really wantd to go to bed but doesn't want the fun and chewing to stop so he'll fly away once or twice then step up and we'll gently hold a toe and put him inside.
Sometimes he'll just go in when he's ready and not rush out when we grab the door.
We usually give him a treat to reward him and keep things positive.
He also knows he doesn't get to come out till everyone is home for the day and not going back outside again so he generally sits nicely and munched and plays with his toys till he knows it's time to release the hound, then he starts whistling and being cute so we let him out.
We do this after losing Lurch when he woke up as my sister walked in the kitchen door and flew in to see what was up and continued right out the door :crycry:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bosco is getting more brave :) He can fly, though he's still not very good at figuring out where he wants to go :lol:

Still loves chop (corn is still the best thing ever), has discovered millet is tasty, and has learned to imitate the sound of his fountain being low on water :lol:

PXL_20230623_160135667.jpg PXL_20230624_231120861.jpg PXL_20230623_180047519.jpg PXL_20230623_174603778.jpg IMG_20230620_164755_596.jpg

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
He's beautiful....

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Such a cutie.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bosco is getting more brave :) He can fly, though he's still not very good at figuring out where he wants to go :lol:

Still loves chop (corn is still the best thing ever), has discovered millet is tasty, and has learned to imitate the sound of his fountain being low on water :lol:

View attachment 431209 View attachment 431210 View attachment 431211 View attachment 431212 View attachment 431213
It just makes me beyond happy to see the amazing life that he's living now. I'll never ever be able to thank you enough Shawna :heart:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Did little man do all that damage to the toy bolted to the outside of his cage?! I'm impressed with his chewing capacity, if so!

He's so pretty! And....he's learning to be happy there, which is great news!
I'm not sure to be honest :lol: That was one of the toys @April sent home with him. He does chew quite a bit though! Chips at 1/8" pine, balsa blocks, paper rope, palm stars, mahogany pods, strips bark off perches... It takes him a while but he gets there!