• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BN-babies-UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Was out feeding the birds and Daddy BN was calling and trying to get my attention. Normally he avoids me. I thought he might have wanted some papaya because a baby should of hatched. When I put the papaya in he just cried harder and was throwing himself against the cage side. That alerted me that something was not right. I had avoided checking the nest, and was going to look later on after all of them ate and were settled. I looked on one side and Ruby was hovered over the nest. I looked on the other side and food a baby partially throung the wire of the nest bottom (lousey pix) ready to fall. As I opened the door to the cage daddy bird got out and I had to chased him all over the patio. I got him, held him as I got the baby. Ice cold...BUT ALIVE. I raced inside and Kirby, my husband is holding him on his stomach warming him up. There is a bruise on the side of his head. I suspect it was from Daddy bird trying to pull the baby back. I checked the nest and one egg was in the nest and the other egg over where the baby was at.

So it is not the birds...it is my fault for not having a safe nest :( Since they are good sitter, I will try and modify it some. And (fingers crossed) when the baby is good and warm put it back.

This little one is half the size of the baby found yesterday. So the other baby must've been a day old.

Attachments

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
:omg: how scary!! You're right. I think the daddy was trying to get your help and I am sure glad he did. What a smart bird. Great job on listening to your instincts and reacting quickly. I hope this baby makes it! Keep us posted :)

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
WOW! Smart & brave mousers & good quick thinking on your part! Here goes another prayer for the chicks.

Did the one yesterday surrive in the incubator?

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Oh no! Hope the little baby survives.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I hope this baby makes it! Keep us posted :)
---------------------------------------------

Thanks! Kirby got the baby warm. It appears active, so we put it under Momma Bird. She got right on it and has been keeping it warm.

Daddy bird was a hero, and he tried so heroically to get my attention. I beleive he would have alerted me yesterday if I had been near the cage sooner with the other baby. But the other one got chilled so bad we couldn't bring it back.

After I get all the birds feed, we are going to try and modify the nest some so that this doesn't happen again.

This was a human error, not the birds.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
How about cutting a piece of plastic canvas to fit the bottom of the nest platform???

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Missi, thanks! Yes I have to get something solid under the nest, but have to take care not to make any radical changes for fear of them abandoning the nest. What a delemia.

Thanks All, for being here. And Carole for being a phone call away :)

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Susanne what a wonderful father bird!

I am amazed seeing how teeny that baby is, it fits in his belly button!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
We're off to the cigar store. We noticed that empty cigar boxes would make perfect pans for nesting. so hoping to find one that I can slip the bottom of the nest into, attach, and hang it back up.

More later...

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
*standing by for updates* Best of luck to you guys & the mousies :swoon:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what an amazingly smart father bird...he knew enough and trusted you enough to alert you to the problem..I s ure hope the little gaffer pulls through...let us know please

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Just a quick update :) We got a good assortment of cigar boxes...some are real interesting for future use. Got the nest modified, put the nest back. Parents went right back to the nest...Ruby is sitting good...the baby is lively and doing well. Will post pix a little later. Whew!!!

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
Oh no... I'm so glad that the cigar boxes make great nests!! I hope these work better for you! What a hero daddy bird is!! These mousers keep amazing me!!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Tell Kirby, good thing he has an inny and not an outy..:laughing12::rofl:
So glad the switch worked out well.:hug8: Back from the store and got your message on the phone.;)

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Fantastic news! Thanks for the update! I'm gonna pm ya Susanne..

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
That is excellent news!!

What a great team effort to get family reunited and safe. :hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
:dance5::dance5::dance5:This is good news Susanne!:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK...some pix's :)

Look at the variety of cigar boxes we got...and they were FREE! The square one with the lid that lifts up gives me the idea to try and convert it into a BN nestbox because it is more open that the woven hooded baskets which they would not go near except to poop on them.

We took the bottom half of a low cigar box and used woven coconut (in the orchid section of Home Depot) planter mats to line the box, then took the mouser nest out of the cage and inserted and attached it together.

Here is the little baby and eggs. And the Mommy mouser went right on the nest...YAY!! And the next pix' is Kirby the nest craftsperson :) All the mousers are settled in. I'll eventually replace this nest with a deeper cigar box on a platform for the next time around. Most mousers will go 2, possibly 3 clutches in a row, then stop until late fall.

Whew!...I am glad this day is almost over, and things worked out OK. The WB were really noisey and calling toward the end of the afternoon. They are due to start hatching, so hopefully there may be some new babies tomorrow. They are in a hooded finch basket, so all should be well.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Great job, is that your hubby looking "thrilled" to pose for us? lol

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Great job, is that your hubby looking "thrilled" to pose for us? lol
------------------------------------------

Yes...he was glad to have it done because I was a basket case, and difficult and bossy...poor guy.

BUT...he excells in warming up chilled babies...:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.