• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blueberry has been diagnosed with an abdominal tumour

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
:budgie2: I am so sad to report that my five year old male budgie Blueberry has been diagnosed with a tumour in his abdominal region. I brought him to the vet yesterday because he had large wet dropping stuck to his vent area. He respiratory system was working very hard with tail bobbing. His abdomen was distended. His vet said that she is very concerned, as his weight increased 10 grams from August 4, 2020. She also stated that he has a large mass of feces stuck to the vent. She removed it and thankfully, got a fresh sample to send to the lab. He also has fluid build up (ascites), thus the weight increase. I am so beside myself!!! He is eating and drinking. I have been supplementing with iodine (Lugol's), as we think he has a goiter also. The clicking sound upon breathing is better. The labs of the fecal matter will be back in another 24 hours. She said at this point there is nothing they can do. Even with more diagnostics,the prognosis is not good. She said when a bird exhibits these symptoms, that he was sick for a long period of time, without showing symptoms. I am also supplementing with Herb Salad for birds...(milk thistle and dandelion root), maybe if it is a liver issue. I sprinkle ground Harrisons High Potency over his seed. He won't come out of his cage, and he is just perching and making no sounds!!! My poor baby!!!

I am so sad...I love him so much....

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
His vet also said that when he starts acting more lethargic and his breathing get very heavy it will be time for humane euthanasia! I was left without words, but thanked her for her transparency and being up front with me.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just heartbreaking. I'm so very sorry. :heart:

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
I'm so sorry.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I'm so sorry to hear this. I will be keeping you both in my thoughts.

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Thanks so much Everyone...I want to cry but the emotions are stuck in my throat! I am at work and going home at lunch or course to see Blue! Just an FYI...Blueberry did come from a bin o budgies (as I call them). I just think that those birds are so inbred, and I hate the pet trade! I have had a budgie in my home for the last fourteen years. My heart can't take losing another!:sad3:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m so sorry for Blueberry´s diagnosis. Enjoy all the moments you have together, make them all count :sadhug:

Sending positive thoughts and warmest hugs.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry. :sadhug2:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
.Blueberry did come from a bin o budgies (as I call them). I just think that those birds are so inbred, and I hate the pet trade! I have had a budgie in my home for the last fourteen years. My heart can't take losing another!:sad3:
I agree, I've always had a budgie but I lost the last 3 to cancer and don't think I can do it again.
The last 2 I got from small breeders and the last one was an AmericanxEnglish cross, which I thought would be hybrid protection. I feed organic, grow my own greens hydroponically year round and feed sprouts. I thought I had it all covered. But there just seems to be something wrong with the genetics anymore.
I am thinking of you and Blueberry and sending hugs.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so very sorry. I hope that you have some quality time left together that you can treasure.

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Thank you for the warm hugs and thoughts! I went home at lunch and Blueberry is just sitting on a rope perch...he is still breathing heavy with a tail bob. I have not heard from the vet about the lab tests. He has gone to his bowls eating and drinking...Thank God. I am going to ask the vet if he needs pain meds.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about the diagnosis.

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
How will I know when it is time...I can't think about it! I love him so much! He is another heart bird of mine. I just can't have budgies anymore...the grief is too much to handle. I think I am done with keeping birds.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Love him every minute, just like you have for the last five years. I hope you have enough love in your heart to show it to another bird - there is one out there that needs you and Blueberry would be pleased, I'm sure.

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
I agree, I've always had a budgie but I lost the last 3 to cancer and don't think I can do it again.
The last 2 I got from small breeders and the last one was an AmericanxEnglish cross, which I thought would be hybrid protection. I feed organic, grow my own greens hydroponically year round and feed sprouts. I thought I had it all covered. But there just seems to be something wrong with the genetics anymore.
I am thinking of you and Blueberry and sending hugs.
Yes, I recently got confirmation that my 2 year old English Budgie (bought from a small breeder) has a tumor in her reproductive tract. Most likely an ovarian tumor. Vet said similar, she will not have a long life. I blame in-breeding.