• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blueberry has been diagnosed with an abdominal tumour

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How will I know when it is time...I can't think about it! I love him so much! He is another heart bird of mine. I just can't have budgies anymore...the grief is too much to handle. I think I am done with keeping birds.
I totally understand. Some budgies have a short life no matter how good the care has been. I too blame it on inbreeding as he was from a show line of EB and lived for only 3 years.

How will you know when its time?

difficulty breathing is the main one.
no preening or care of feathers any more
sleeping for long periods of time
inactivity
not eating
sitting on the bottom of cage

Did vet give you any pain medication? Pressure from tumors can be painful

Hugs to you and know that we all here on AA care very much.

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
I totally understand. Some budgies have a short life no matter how good the care has been. I too blame it on inbreeding as he was from a show line of EB and lived for only 3 years.

How will you know when its time?

difficulty breathing is the main one.
no preening or care of feathers any more
sleeping for long periods of time
inactivity
not eating
sitting on the bottom of cage

Did vet give you any pain medication? Pressure from tumors can be painful

Hugs to you and know that we all here on AA care very much.
Thank you..I will question about the pain meds. It is so

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m so sorry to read about your sweet blue! Sending you tons of hugs and support! Please come and talk it out here all you need :hug2:

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Unfortunately budgies are little tumour factories. I can't in all honesty say that anything or anyone is to blame. Diet and exercise just like in humans can only get you so far. These small creatures however are smarter than they are given credit. I think they understand their limitations and may accept them better than we do. Pain meds are definitely something I'd be asking for. I said I'd never have another as well because loosing them hurts too much. But here I am looking for yet another. They make me a better person and I can't argue with that. I am hurting with you...

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Hi All! Thank you for all the love and support! Here is my morning update: Yesterday I had Blue's cage covered on three sides. I wanted him to rest as much as possible after that traumatic vet visit on Tuesday. This morning I am happy to report that he is eating and drinking. I also heard lots of beak grinding. I so love beak grinding. I have been choked up for the last two days thinking this day might be his last. His breathing isn't worse...Thank God. His poops look normal and nothing is stuck to his vent. Of course, I want a miracle! His vet is calling me hopefully today with the lab results of his fecal test. I want a miracle medicine to make him the bird that he was.

This might sound crazy, but, I already miss cleaning bird poop in certain rooms that he loved to fly in! I can't see my life without him.

Just to let everyone know that he has never had a bird sitter watch him. I haven't been on a vacation in five years, because, I didn't trust anyone to care for him without me watching them. Actually, he is the love of my life. Thanks for listening!

FeatherMan

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
I am so glad to hear he is feeling a little better! Sending out much love to you both. :bighug:

Bookwyrm

I'm so sorry about your baby! I hope he can pull through! I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts. Let us know what the lab results say!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That is all you can do now. Make sure you both are comfortable. Tell him a few stories about your life, take more photos, shower him with whatever he loves. I never did birdie hospice, only human hospice which is not all that different.

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
:sad3: :budgie2:He is eating and drinking pooping too! I am just monitoring his quality of life until the time comes.
So sorry! I will be in the same boat at some point as well with my English Budgie Bubbles. We should start a "bird hospice" thread! I did "hamster hospice" with our 3 year old winter white hamster when her time was near. She got cheese cubes and all kinds of special snacks.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s a relief to learn that your sweet Blueberry isn’t suffering from parasites, too! I hope you and he can make some precious memories together today!

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Good Morning Everyone! I soooooo appreciate the support that I have been receiving. This is a testimony to what a wonderful avian community we have here!
Quick Update...Blueberry is eating (favorite seed), drinking, pooping (showing more urine in droppings), perching and preening. He just stays in one upper corner of his cage with his favorite toy! He is doing lots of beak grinding and that makes me HAPPY!!!! I read to him nightly and say prayers for the Lord to Bless him! He is not ready to go to the Rainbow Bridge...no way. He is not his playful self...but...as long as I have with him, I will savor each precious moment.

This turn of events made me realize that life changes in a instant! I will love him forever...my little heart BIRDIE!!! :budgie2:

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I'm so sorry. Keep fighting Blueberry!

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
He really is surprising me! I also think that he is still very traumatized from the lengthy vet visit on Tuesday! It took alot out on him. It is so weird. He was on his swing (the one in the photo here), just last week. I am not giving up hope. Maybe it isn't a tumour!!! She didn't take an x-ray, due to him having so much anxiety and respiratory distress!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Whether or not it's terminal, it sounds like Blueberry is very well loved & has a great life. You'll know when the time comes, be it sooner or later. :bluhug: