• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bleeding from the mouth

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
I am very worried, i have a parrotlet and she is 7 years old, she got something in her mouth and have been doing this for a while, so she shakes her head and then scratchas her mouth to get the stuff out today,So it started to bleed but know it has stopped. This only happend two times but a long time ago. The thing that concerns me is that she always had this abcess in her tounge. We took a vet checkup on my other bird that time, but the vet examined both of them, at the time she du did not say anything about the abcess but it have been there in months since i started noticing it. So i maybe think that is was the abcess that bled but i dont know. I am just worried and i dont want her to have cancer or anything like that. No change in her behavior, same apetite. Im just really really worried.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I wonder if the vet did not notice this? It’s too bad you didn’t tell them about the mouth problem.

If she’s not bleeding now, that’s good. But she likely needs someone to take a look at her mouth sore. If she gets stuff caught in it or is scratching at it, it may be painful. I would get it checked out!

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
Yes, ive seen that she has been doing this a couple of times today, but she eats normalt and dont have problem at that point. But when she gets something in her mouth she starts shaking it. I will see if i will have to take her to the vet.

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
She started bleeding a little bit agin, she seems in pain but need a vet

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
She started bleeding a little bit agin, she seems in pain but need a vet
I wonder if the vet did not notice this? It’s too bad you didn’t tell them about the mouth problem.

If she’s not bleeding now, that’s good. But she likely needs someone to take a look at her mouth sore. If she gets stuff caught in it or is scratching at it, it may be painful. I would get it checked out!
There is no vet until tomorrow, om freaking out

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
She’s gotten along for a long time. Hopefully she will be ok until tomorrow.

If you are very concerned you could feed her soft foods.

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
She’s gotten along for a long time. Hopefully she will be ok until tomorrow.

If you are very concerned you could feed her soft foods.
Yes i sillfisket that but she cant stop scratchande on her tounge and its bleeding really bad

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Cornstarch on her tongue will stop bleeding.
I’m sorry I didn’t see this earlier.
I hope she’s ok.

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
Cornstarch on her tongue will stop bleeding.
I’m sorry I didn’t see this earlier.
I hope she’s ok.
thankyou! She is fine now, i think her tounge is a bit store still but i does not bleed until she shakes her head or scratches it. I have a vet appointment tomorrow, i hope it Will go fine!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Awww...this is a scary concerning issue.
There is definitely pain, that's why she keeps scratching at it .

I hope you will keep us updated on the cause and treatment. We all learn from each other.

Good luck at the vets! Praying you guys get good help

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
Awww...this is a scary concerning issue.
There is definitely pain, that's why she keeps scratching at it .

I hope you will keep us updated on the cause and treatment. We all learn from each other.

Good luck at the vets! Praying you guys get good help
So today we will take her to the vet, but its so devastating to se her in pain, her eyes are squinting and seems stressed, the good news is that she still eats her favourite food like a horse. I still see some bleeding after she ate or sharpen her beak. But not much, she just needs to rest until we take her to the vet so she does not feel stress

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I hope the vet can offer some help and relief for your little one.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I hope she’s ok.

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
UPDATE!!

So ive had her checked now, she did not have some kind of wound and said her mouth was fine, maybe a slight injury in the mouth but will be treated with a painkilling medecine. She seems fine now and are eating well! The only thing that was off was some swelling around the cloaca, ive had checked this before and said it was becuase of an egg, this swelling have been around for a very long time and have not grown anything at all, but for now she is fine! They only said we need to take her in if the swelling has grown, but it have not.Thankyou for the souport and advice! I aprecieate it!

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’m glad it was not a big deal. I was pretty worried so thank you for letting me know. Yes, female birds get “egg butt” in the breeding season if their bodies want to lay eggsz

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
Yes, she maybe do that, but the vet told is that the lump kind of was soft, and that often presents as lipomas ive had reaserch about, but in not a vet myself, it is only a guess, but the mainly thing is that she is ok and got the medecation she needed!! it was so funny that she was so calm , she preens herself when she was at the vet, and also wanted to eat some pellets on the ride home, that was a little diffucult do

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
No source of the blood was found?

Well I'm glad to hear she feels better and has pain relief. Hopefully no repeats!

I would monitor her weight weekly.

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
No source of the blood was found?

Well I'm glad to hear she feels better and has pain relief. Hopefully no repeats!

I would monitor her weight weekly.
they said that they did not find sometjing on her tounge, they checked the crop and the throat but did not find anything there neither, she bleeds sometimes but not much only when she eats and the food maybe touches some sore place, but she still tries to eat. We have given her pain medication and i hope in the week it Will be better!

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Are you feeding her soft food?

I hope she’s ok.

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
Yes she gets soft good but dont have problem with hard food, she is ok , she seems to be a little under the weather still but she can eat. A little puffed up and squinty eyes when she rests,She almost ate the whole time thorugh the day, she has been wagging her tail and also flied today!! I will just let her recover and have a calm week until she feels better and that the medication will have full effect!