• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black primary feathers?

faithapaul1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faith Paul
Hey everyone,

My green cheek is almost two and has periodically gotten one or two feathers with black edges on him. However, as of this month I’ve noticed that although his other affected feathers have seemed to return to normal, the black pigmentation is now occurring on his primary feathers.

Due to coronavirus we have been staying at my parents house and originally, he was consuming a lot of their cockatiels seeds (but I have since put a stop to that). Perhaps it is a result of the excess fat? Or, could this be stress bars from when he got his wings clipped? I’ve attached pictures. He has been maintaining weight and eats La Faber pellets and a homemade chop daily. The rest of his feathers are gorgeous!

Just worried about him and interested in learning what this is as well! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I can’t see the pictures clearly but I’m guessing it will be bronzing.
Stress bars don’t show up on already formed feathers- they happen as the feather is developing.
A bronzed feather won’t return to normal colour but will eventually fall out and a new pretty one without black edges will grow in to replace it.
How long since your bird molted? Are the feathers with black older feathers?

faithapaul1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faith Paul
I can’t see the pictures clearly but I’m guessing it will be bronzing.
Stress bars don’t show up on already formed feathers- they happen as the feather is developing.
A bronzed feather won’t return to normal colour but will eventually fall out and a new pretty one without black edges will grow in to replace it.
How long since your bird molted? Are the feathers with black older feathers?
He molted a month or so ago! I uploaded it again to this comment, so maybe you will be able to see it better!

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I don't see anything you need to be concerned about. The feathers look normal to me.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It's normal bronzing. I'd only be worried if you hadn't had them clipped. If you haven't had him clipped again since his moult then he hasn't moulted his primaries.