• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting is out of control, need advice.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh wow, I had no idea, I post bad mouthing birdie people was confusing. I'm so glad I checked with you guys!

scott199

Walking the driveway
Well good news Paco has stepped up twice now with no biting...we shall see, dunno what changed for him not to bite now.
Great news, fingers crossed he keeps going.

any ideas what you done to get the calm step up ?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@scott199 I honestly don't know. I just stopped asking him to step up, was telling him, "I have to go to work, you need to get into cage, I have to go bye bye" every time I had to leave, this has been for about three weeks. I keep the same routine, I would bribe him with at treat, and had him get in the cage that way. After I closed the door, I would put on my coat, (he is still weird about clothes, I tell him its laundry) I would look him at eye level tell him I love him, I'm going by by be a good boy. I"m not a bird behaviorist. My wild caught Amazon would fly to her cage when she heard me pick up my keys. So I have no idea what I did to make this change.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
He probably decided your trustworthy now and so he steps up nicely and goes in. Dobby hates going in but he's so well socialized that he will almost always step up when asked, if he doesn't want to he flies away or runs away. He'll try to fly away when we get to his door sometimes so we grab a toe gently and he knows he's caught and goes in. Sometimes he's really ready to go to bed and just goes in when we bring him to his door.
It6's a process and sounds like he's deciding he trusts you and to allows it to happen. Bribes are always a great thing to get him to realize going in means good things besides bed time.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I hope so, my erratic work schedule is hard on both of us. Yesterday not sure if he didn't have a good grip or what but he wobbled a little bit when I moved him to perch. This is so exciting and I feel that we are getribg ro know each other better every day. We jammed to rock and roll last night, somerhing we haven't done in 3 weeks.