• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting is out of control, need advice.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
ABA - Applied Behavior Analytics

"Bank Account" - there's actually an article about this

Re: Sprouts - I feed China Prairie. It's one of the cheaper blends out there but still has a good variety - there's also Sprout People or other companies that also sell sprouts.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch used to love to jump on me and ride into the bathroom while I cleaned up and all that after getting home from work. After a bit he's scream and bite my neck. I couldn't figure it out so I stopped letting him get on my shoulder in there but one day I decided to take the hit and see what he did. I went in and he was all excited, I was running the water and he was watching so I put my arm down to the counter and he ran to the edge of the sink by the faucet and started drinking and playing with the water. After that any time he went in there he would wait nicely for me to finish my business, then I'd say you want a drink and he'd run down my arm and drink and play on the faucet, after a bit I'd ask are you done now, and he'd run back up my arm to my shoulder and ride out very happy. I NEVER got bit when I went in there with him again. I learned what he was trying to ask for and he learned that I knew what he wanted but he had to nicely wait his till his turn to play in the water.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
What is the Bird and Bank Account? Is it a thread on here? What is ABA?
"ABA (against biting always or applied behaviour analysis). I am not saying I never get bitten anymore because I am human and I make mistakes and that is the key, it is my mistake, not my birds."

In my case it was me that caused the biting. Most times when I wanted him to step up was to put him back in his cage.
So I changed my routine and asked him to step up, he said no by trying to jab me, I then walked away and turned all the lights out and darkened the room a bit. I had his treat and he flew to the top of his cage then stepped up and let me place him on his perch. BUT before this I started to interact with him for a couple of days and had him on my hand but never went near his cage, he played nice with no bites. If he got rough I walked away and did something else. I'm amazed at how fast he responded to it all.

Last edited:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
That leads to my next question, why is he so gentle and nibbles the food off of my fingers so delicately and then chomps my arm when I offer it to step up?
Why are you asking him to step up. Are you going to play or put him in his cage? Try changing the routine to something fun for him.Tinker shows me by his looks when I say Davids got to go to work that he will be put there. I now avoid saying it till he does ( he says Davids going to work) and I try to make stepping up a fun time. It seems to have worked.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I still want to find a dry treat I can leave in his cup
What's the temperature of your house? Mine is at 70F all day and night and that is fine for leaving his chop for the day. Tinker likes his food at room temps.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Lurch used to love to jump on me and ride into the bathroom while I cleaned up and all that after getting home from work. After a bit he's scream and bite my neck. I couldn't figure it out so I stopped letting him get on my shoulder in there but one day I decided to take the hit and see what he did. I went in and he was all excited, I was running the water and he was watching so I put my arm down to the counter and he ran to the edge of the sink by the faucet and started drinking and playing with the water. After that any time he went in there he would wait nicely for me to finish my business, then I'd say you want a drink and he'd run down my arm and drink and play on the faucet, after a bit I'd ask are you done now, and he'd run back up my arm to my shoulder and ride out very happy. I NEVER got bit when I went in there with him again. I learned what he was trying to ask for and he learned that I knew what he wanted but he had to nicely wait his till his turn to play in the water.
Funny you mentioned that....Poppers had an obsession with the bathroom. Loved to watch me shower or shave.
Same with grey grey. No he mimics me shaving and combing hair. He'll take a popcycle stick and use it like he's shaving under his chin or use it on top of his head like combing his hair.
Now when people come over I give him a popsicle stick and say comb your hair, does, then say ok shave... And he pretends to shave, does both sides of his under beak...quite hilarious.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@BertAllen temp is 74 in house, however he is in the back room that is not as warm. Its a modular home and the farthest room from the furnace. He is in there being Mr Chatterbox as I type. I did check out Unapproved Vendor's Dailey's however I am not able to get a S & H price. My income is very limited right now, but he is eating a good diet. Sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower rice. I do wonder about the "veggie" pasta and how much wheat is actually in them. He loves them.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@BertAllen temp is 74 in house, however he is in the back room that is not as warm. Its a modular home and the farthest room from the furnace. He is in there being Mr Chatterbox as I type. I did check out Unapproved Vendor's Dailey's however I am not able to get a S & H price. My income is very limited right now, but he is eating a good diet. Sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower rice. I do wonder about the "veggie" pasta and how much wheat is actually in them. He loves them.
Please avoid this food darling. We have sick & dead birds from it. You'd be better off ordering freeze dried, there is less of a chance of issues from things like mold. Dehydrated foods can get crappy if not stored properly.

I am waiting for food from AO right now...

@JoJo&Loki. Have you ordered from Danita & Nikomania both? I have not ordered freeze dried myself yet but have done a ton of reading since everyone's birds started dying from WDs stuff. Freeze dried is by far superior.

Here's the link to the thread about WDs (I think this is the third thread the other 2 were like going into 75-100 pages)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Don't panic as this should be fine. The veggie pasta should say if wheat is in them.
Continue what your doing as it seems to be working.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I was really tired last night. Not sure how my post came up as Unapproved Vendor Dailey's, I was referring to Unapproved Vendor's Dailies, they sell sproutable food. So its o.k. that veggie pasta has some wheat in them? Even the organic ones say they have wheat in them.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Ok new question, well two new ones. Should I start a new thread with each change of topic or just keep my questions here?
I don't want to monopolize African Grey Alley group with constant threads of Paco this and Paco that.

Some days I get up at 5:00am and its still dark, I leave for work at 7:00 am. Is it better to leave Paco in the dark and sleep or get him up so he has more out of cage time? He is still a challenge getting him in the cage, I have stopped asking him to step up as I don't want him to bite me. Bribing him with a treat and he gets in on his own. I stopped using peanuts so now I use cheerio's. I don't want to deprive him of necessary darkness, neither do I want to get stressed out and have him bite if I need him in his cage so I'm not late for work.

I really need a 8 to 5 job, Monday through Friday, this too shall pass.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I was really tired last night. Not sure how my post came up as Unapproved Vendor Dailey's, I was referring to Unapproved Vendor's Dailies, they sell sproutable food.
Please view the thread that @BertAllen shared

As for questions - it is possible to get more specific answers to your questions if you start a new thread on the topic(s) you wish to discuss, likewise, those who follow this thread may also be able to help you with those same questions. Ultimately, it's up to you.

If it's an issue getting Paco back in his cage, you might want to keep him in his cage in the morning before leaving for work, but do uncover him and feed him at least before you go.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I did keep him in his cage this morning, he has gotten comfy I guess and sits in his cage with one foot tucked up instead of coming out. I felt guilty that he wouldn't come out so I just reached for his water bowel, BIG STEP for us. He didn't flinch, a feather just scooted over. I have to reach into his cage and my arm crosses his perch and seed bowl. I have to unscrew it from the bottom. Whew, lots of nerves there but he just sat there and watched me. No nip, no chomp nothing!!!

I don't cover him, he has never been covered, I tried the first night and he freaked out so bad almost gave me a coronary. Nope, not doing that again.

Again this site keeps changing the words of Unapproved Vendor'S DAILIES to Unapproved Vendor Dailies, I typed it in caps this time to see if it will still change it. Has anyone used this sprouting company?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I guess their name is blocked as it changed to unapproved vendor I could have sworn I got that info from here as I don't seek advice from any other site.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
wow, I didn't know WD was killing birds, so glad you guys told me!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sounds like things went alright in the morning with Paco! :)

And yes... in regards to the vendor.... there's been reports of sick birds (including here on this forum), dead birds, moldy food, food infested with bugs, sugar/salt used when the food was supposed to be sugar/salt free...

All that aside, this vendor has bad customer service. Instead of filling back-ordered products, they are only filling new orders... and then people with back-ordered products are getting the run-around as to when their product will ship... and it takes 3+ months from when their items should have originally shipped!

A lot of people have also brought up her past history, including getting in trouble with the law... some people were not happy that it appeared that she was making food out of a basement.... no one can seem to find proof that she has a business license.... the only proof is directly from her, no one in the state she works in can find proof that she has an actual business license through the state...

WD used to be a member here... but has since been banned after things started going downhill.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Please avoid this food darling. We have sick & dead birds from it. You'd be better off ordering freeze dried, there is less of a chance of issues from things like mold. Dehydrated foods can get crappy if not stored properly.

I am waiting for food from AO right now...

@JoJo&Loki. Have you ordered from Danita & Nikomania both? I have not ordered freeze dried myself yet but have done a ton of reading since everyone's birds started dying from WDs stuff. Freeze dried is by far superior.

Here's the link to the thread about WDs (I think this is the third thread the other 2 were like going into 75-100 pages)

Yep, I’ve tried both and my birbs LOVE both! @Snowghost Avian Organics and Bodacious Birdie Bites have great freeze dried options as Rain said. I agree with the above issues about the other vendor. Hope you find something that works for you
:)