• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Not Responding "Normally" to Taming Attempts, Any Advice???

budgie❤️

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Madilynn
I got a parakeet several months ago, and she's not responding to my attempts to tame her...or at least, not responding "normally". For starters, when I go over to the cage and (slowly) open up the cage door to interact with her, she starts screeching and tries desperately to get as far away from me as possible. She will hop onto the perch farthest away from me, lean up against the side of the cage and turn her head away. She pretty much does this any time I walk up to her cage even without opening the door, minus the screeching. She's okay with eating millet when I pinch it in between my fingers and hold it up to her, but she won't eat directly out of my hands. When I open the cage door, and move my hand toward her as slowly as possible, she relaxes a bit, and will step up onto my finger as soon as it's within her jumping range (I had her wings clipped for taming, and they're starting to grow back :)As soon as I make any motion to bring her out of her cage, even with her facing the cage door and not the inside of her cage, she will immediately turn around and hop back onto a perch. If I do get her out of the cage, she'll try to jump on top of it. If she's out of the cage and she can see it, she'll try to get to it, no matter how high up off the ground she is or how far away the cage is. Of course since her wings are clipped she falls to the ground if I dont catch her when she jumps, and as a result has broken several blood feathers on her wings recently. The only time she's happy when I'm around is when I'm sitting down next to her cage and she's on top of it, when shes sitting on my shoulder, when I'm in my room on the opposite of where her cage is and sitting perfectly still, when I sing or play music, or around my brother's parakeet. Oh and also she is scared of literally EVERYTHING. If I have her on my shoulder and I head to a window and open the blinds, it scares her to see the blinds opening so she'll fly off my shoulder onto the floor. She's ridiculously skittish. She doesn't pluck her feathers, which is good but I'm kinda surprised since everything seems to be a threat to her except perches, toys and food. Is she cage bound? Phobic? Is there any way I can tame her properly with the kind of personality she has? I've tried for the 5 months I've had her and for the past 2 I havent been getting anywhere. I'm out of ideas. Help!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What is there to do outside the cage? How big is the cage?

I would make sure you have perches outside (not on) the cage for her to go to, and as high up as possible. It may take time for her to discover or trust them, but giving her the option is helpful. The clipping may have set you back, since wings = confidence. She needs to completely rely on you...and she doesn't trust you yet. You need to go at her pace, not yours.

Open the cage door and walk away, ideally with several hours free to let her come out at her pace. Talk to her, sing around her, dance, etc. Try to take your hands out of the equation completely. Offer incentives just outside the cage like millet to encourage her to come out. Don't reach in and take her out at all.

You can try to make your hands less scary by dropping a treat in her cage (through the bars into a bowl) every time you pass by or enter the room. Make a point to show her the treat, drop it in, and then walk away.

Good luck! She's definitely acting 100% normal.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Budgies are very skittish little birds - especially since you have only had her a short time. They don't like fast movements, so try moving ultra slowly when you are interacting with her. I think it's amazing that you can get her to sit on your shoulder. And if you can put yourself in her place, being clipped is like if we had no legs and giants were picking us up at their will. Scary thought, isn't it?

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
She’s telling you what she is comfortable with, and she needs you to listen. To build her trust, you need to move waaaay back to the same frequency as her. Talk very gently to her, sit and read next to her so she gets used to your company. @Mizzely gave you great advice- try and be patient. It can take a very long time to win the trust of a feathered friend but is well worth it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I got a parakeet several months ago, and she's not responding to my attempts to tame her...or at least, not responding "normally".
I would examine my expectations for training a budgie you have had only a few months ago. I suggest you slow down and wait until this budgie is more comfortable and used to new surroundings. Her message to you is crystal clear.

What do you consider a normal response?