• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bird nostril sounds

Popplizzie

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth
Hello,
My green cheek Conure started making little noises as if there was something in his nose, there isn’t any discharge and he’s been sneezing every once in a while and he’s never done this before so I’m a little nervous. It’s in the middle of the night here so I can’t contact a vet. He’s acting normal aside from the little nostril noises. Any advice?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How long since he had an opportunity to bathe?

How dry is the air in his area?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I often find my Macaw in particular will start sneezing when the air is extra dry or the air purifier has been turned off which happens if the power flickers at all.

As I am unsure of the noise you mention I am just assuming it is likely a sneeze or attempt to remove dust or irritant from the nares.

I have found I can give my bird some fast relief from sneezing issues by adding some humidity to the air (I am unsure if this is your problem) by spritzing the air in his room with water in a spray bottle- if the light spray of water around the room is enough to relieve his sneezing I then make sure the air purifier is running and I keep adding humidity to the air.

Reactions: tka

Popplizzie

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth
Okay, thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. I’ve never had any health issues with him so I get very anxious if something is not quite Normal.

Is there a humidifier you recommend? I never know which is the safest to have around him since there are so many different opinions when I look up online.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I honestly can not advise as I do not even own a humidifier and thankfully it is not really needed where I live.
When I need more moisture in the air and have no washing to hang indoors then I boil water to release steam, mist the air with a fine mist sprayer, wet a towel or two and hang them indoors mop the floor etc.

Popplizzie

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth
I honestly can not advise as I do not even own a humidifier and thankfully it is not really needed where I live.
When I need more moisture in the air and have no washing to hang indoors then I boil water to release steam, mist the air with a fine mist sprayer, wet a towel or two and hang them indoors mop the floor etc.
Thank you. You have been so helpful!!