• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird harness? Help?

Hunter

Meeting neighbors
I got 2 budgies about 3-4 months ago and finally got them hand tamed and learning some simple commands and hand gestures. I've seen some people take their birds outside but only with a harness on them, does anyone know where I can get a harness? I can find all sorts of leashes for the harness but not the harness itself.

As of right now my budgies can not fly due to the wings being clipped from the pet store I got them from and I don' plan on getting them clipped ever again

Is a harness a good idea to begin with? I want to take my budgies outside when the weather gets warm again without worry of them flying away and without being confined to a cage every time and I don't currently have an aviary of any sort for them.

If I do get them harnesses how do I train them with it and get them used to them?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to AA :)
When I bought my harness (the Aviator) it came with an instructional DVD teaching you how use the Aviator Harness. I am not sure if all the other brands of harnesses have an instructional DVD or not. I got my Aviator from one of the parrot stores I buy my bird food and other stuff from. I believe you can also buy them online directly from the Aviator company.

Hunter

Meeting neighbors
Welcome to AA :)
When I bought my harness (the Aviator) it came with an instructional DVD teaching you how use the Aviator Harness. I am not sure if all the other brands of harnesses have an instructional DVD or not. I got my Aviator from one of the parrot stores I buy my bird food and other stuff from. I believe you can also buy them online directly from the Aviator company.
There are no parrot stores near me only pet stores, they sell basic stuff and small rodents mostly I will have to search the stores around me but I only know 3 stores, PetSmart, pet supplies plus, and pet valu so I might habe to order online

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What country are you in? I actually ordered mine online from a parrot store as all the pet supplies stores that I would be happy to use are hours away from where I live. I purchase nearly everything online.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
My Jenday especially loved her aviator which was ordered online. Aviators always worked well for me. Flight suits... My Pineapple hated it so much, she wouldn't even chew on it.

I started using Avian Web though and the conures seem to take to them faster. Duchess, BCC, came with an Avian Web harness. I really like their leash.

Many of us live far from pet supply stores. My closest one is a small, family-owned shop that doesn't carry the brand of pellets my birds eat. (It doesn't carry much.) I JUST found a store by accident about an hour and a half away that said give her a week notice and she'd have anything for me.

Drs. Foster and Smith have pellet berries for parakeets and parakeet seeds on sale. In fact, they're having their seasonal sale right now. They have some harnesses but I don't know what size on their site, too.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hey @LSA what are the differences between the Aviator and the Avian Web? I have not heard of the Avian web, would I just google the name to find more information about it?

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Google AVIANWEB BIRD HARNESS for more precise results.

The avianweb is seems more comfortable and less scary than an Aviator. The Aviator is more like a dog-style harness whereas an AvianWeb is a vest-style harness. The bird must put its head through the hole

The aviator didn't seem to me to be as sturdy. Daytona, especially, is a big-time chewer and destroyed her Aviator but the Avianweb is virtually chew-proof.

I prefer the leash attachment of the aviator, but given that most of my birds will wear an AvianWeb rather than struggle against the Aviator, it's my chosen harness.

Also, the Avianweb company has MUCH better customer service!

Hunter

Meeting neighbors
What country are you in? I actually ordered mine online from a parrot store as all the pet supplies stores that I would be happy to use are hours away from where I live. I purchase nearly everything online.
I live in ohio

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]