• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best way to oderize the cage?

Daz

Moving in
Real Name
Daz
I am changing jaspers cage twice a day but wondered if there was any tricks of the trade you people use to stop the room smelling thanks in advance.

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
I always used Nature's Miracle Oxy Orange for the floor and walls around Reza's cage. If he wasn't inside the cage, I would dilute it with a little warm water and do a lighter clean for the time before it was hauled outside for a deep clean. It leaves a light orange scent without any streaky residue. There is another one that claims "for cats". I always used the other one though. Just something to keep an eye out for if you decide to try it out.

If you are changing papers twice a day, including his water bowl, and keeping fresh food then his cage really shouldn't stink. Almost makes me wonder if his poop is smelling. You might want to make sure because if it is foul smelling, it is time for an avian vet visit!!

Daz

Moving in
Real Name
Daz
So you put this miracle orange stuff on the tray where he poo's? it was musty smell rather than poo smell. Hope you can buy this stuff in uk ha ha : ).

Tim

Avenue Veteran
What are you using at the bottom of the cage?

Daz

Moving in
Real Name
Daz
What are you using at the bottom of the cage?
I sue foil as wet paper doesnt suit my chest, there is grill bottom between Jasper and the foil so cant get to it.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
Like, aluminum foil? Doesn't that get expensive? It also doesn't seem like a good idea. Are you re-using it? That could be your problem. I have never had a bird cage smell.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
I've always just used newspaper and usually change it once every day or two... have never noticed a bad smell. Are you certain it's coming from the bird cages??

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Newspaper is easiest to keep above the grates in the cage. That way it keeps the grates from getting dirty as eclectus can have poop that isn't as solid as other parrots and because they like to fling their fresh food everywhere!

The Nature's Miracle is something I would use to do a quick clean. Newspaper doesn't keep everything out of the trays underneath the grate so I would spray it and wipe it up. If using anywhere else then I would dilute with warm water and use a rag to clean areas like around the food bowl.

Do you spray him down to keep his feathers clean? That is the only reason I could see an eclectus having a musty smell; but even then, not enough to create a smell in his room/area.

If you are sure it is coming from his poop, then I still suggest taking him into the vet just to have him checked out. An odor to their poop is a red flag for sure that something may be going on! Better to catch it sooner rather than later.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I realized you mentioned wet paper doesn't suit your chest. Do you mean it irritates your allergies or something? Eclectus on a fresh diet shouldn't really get papers wet with their poop. It should dry fairly quickly and be solid. This may sound gross... but if you can, possibly post a picture of it. That could be a clue right there that something like an infection could be going on, especially with the odor.

The only times Reza would have poop that seemed to get the newspaper wet was if he had bathed or ate something with high water content.

Daz

Moving in
Real Name
Daz
I realized you mentioned wet paper doesn't suit your chest. Do you mean it irritates your allergies or something? Eclectus on a fresh diet shouldn't really get papers wet with their poop. It should dry fairly quickly and be solid. This may sound gross... but if you can, possibly post a picture of it. That could be a clue right there that something like an infection could be going on, especially with the odor.

The only times Reza would have poop that seemed to get the newspaper wet was if he had bathed or ate something with high water content.
his poop is a bit runny but thats because only thing he is eating fruit wise at minute is grapes so it says that can cause runny poop. Nut no it defo coming from Jasper. I wonder if its because he is on special seed mix with no peanuts or sunflower seeds. I dont re-use the foil I bin it and use fressh but thinking of buying towling as then I can wash it and re-use it. I am changing his tray once a days I have tryed giving veg but he wont have it he is 13 weeks old. I really dont want to send him back but smells do effect my chest I researched my but of on breeds what would suit me so I am rather destroyed with me having problems. I showered him today and smelled better after.
The guy I got it from is on holiday for 10 days so I am trying new things like repersitioning Air purifier this is the seed mix AS30 No peanut no sunflower seed also on psittacus omega pellets which are not coloured and its what breeder gave me.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
That is quite young to have left the breeder. Are you hand feeding him? Grapes is not going to be enough to get him through. It is good that the seed doesn't have peanuts.

This is a good mix that doesn't have any added vitamins which eclectus can't have. Volkman Seed Company

Please, go to this website and look at the diet for eclectus. Eclectus Parrots For Sale Eclectus Parrot Breeder Eclectus Babies Follow it and keep trying the veggies.

Because of his age and lack of a varied diet, he really needs to see an avian vet. Its important to weigh him daily and keep track of it so you know if he is keeping weight on. Also, the smell whether it is from his beak area or poop, needs to be checked out. At the beginning of your post, I assumed this was an older eclectus.

If you post your general location, we may be able to help you find an avian vet.

Daz

Moving in
Real Name
Daz
Atlast I am proven I am not going crazy ha ha so now what would people advise? info this is from bottom of the page......Eclectus Parrots have an odour and a lot of people say the Eclectus odour is not like any other parrots odour. Most people say their birds odour is either sweet like honey or musky. The odour smell can also have a lot to do with your own sense of smell as well as what they have eaten. If your Eclectus has eaten a piece of fruit then they're likely to have a sweet smell to them. More seed and pellets offered can give a musky smell (which is what I smell), and if you give them a sliver of raw garlic they will smell like raw garlic! Some people have said Eclectus odours seem stronger during their hormonal periods as well. I haven't noticed this smell myself.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I was about to say, actually that eclectus normally have a sweeter smell. To me Reza always smelled like a hint of Fruit Loops. He ate many different fruits, veggies, and grains daily. No pellets and a 1/4 of Volkmann's eclectus mix.

Sometimes pellets or fortified foods can cause toe tapping, wing flipping, and plucking.

Daz

Moving in
Real Name
Daz
I was about to say, actually that eclectus normally have a sweeter smell. To me Reza always smelled like a hint of Fruit Loops. He ate many different fruits, veggies, and grains daily. No pellets and a 1/4 of Volkmann's eclectus mix.

Sometimes pellets or fortified foods can cause toe tapping, wing flipping, and plucking.
yeah I know about the toe tapping think I need to try get him to eat more see if I can turn the muskyness into sweet. Otherwise I may have to return him : ( I never new about this musky smell and I read that site loads. I was just concerned the feathers wouldnt effect me the whole smell thing didnt even crop into my mind grrrr.

Heather F

A quick internet search tells me that average weaning age for an eclectus is 12-17 weeks, so 13 weeks is very young and he many not actually be fully weaned and should still be getting hand feedings. An odd smell and runny droppings could indicate that he is getting sick. He definitely shouldn't smell unpleasant. I'd second the recommendation to get him checked out by an avian vet.

I think it very irresponsible for the breeder to stick you with a bird who isn't yet eating well and then go out of town, at least without giving you supplies and instructions about supplemental feeding.

Daz

Moving in
Real Name
Daz
Ive been told if I feed him fruit and veg and very little seed then he wont smell musky but sweet. Only thing is will he be ok doing it? he loves apple specily grapes. I waas thinking going to buy passion fruits and pomagrnates. But what example could you give for meals?

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
If you click on the second link I provided it gives you all you need to know for their diet.

But, I do not think the focus should be on getting him to smell better through foods.

The goal right now should be to get him to vet. Let the vet look him over and see/test his poop. Figure out if stress from not weaning properly (assumption because of age) is lowering his ability to fight off infections. Stress is a huge factor in how his immune system is going to respond. Birds hide illness very well, so you have to be on the lookout for little clues and from what you have described there are already 3 valid reasons to take him in.

The vet could recommend something to help keep him in good health during this rough patch. At this age, and experiencing these issues with his diet, it could affect him later in life health wise.

Last edited:

Daz

Moving in
Real Name
Daz
Some yes but Ekkies are meant to be non alergic hence I got one didnt realised they smelled musky apparently it can be there diet though

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
It is not uncommon for birds to make an odor.....many of us on here have admitted frequently sniffing our Amazons and Pionus.
They give off a wonderful smell from around their nostrils.