• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best bird for a beginner?

MisterSnuf

Moving in
Real Name
Daniel
Hey everyone. Im new here and I am a minor. I used to own a budgie and 2 diamond doves, but I was very young and the care mostly went to my mom. I have been wanting to get a bird as of late, and have done a bit of research. I have three birds in mind, but I am not sure which would be best for a beginner. I want a bird that will be happy to be with me and a good mimicker. I like the idea of a bird mindlessly repeating things lol. Budget is a factor as well as noise. However my budgie was loud and never had complaints. My neighbors kid is louder than most animals in the area lol. I live in a 2 story townhouse that does share walls. Ideally I would like the cage to be in my room (2nd floor) and have it come out often in the day to hangout. Of course I am aware of the cost, mess, food, attention, and responsibilities that go into a bird. Im willing to do my best. I currently have a small scaredy-cat dog and a fish tank with a sealed lid if that helps.

1. Indian Ringneck: I love this bird so much from what I’ve seen. A beautiful bird thats reasonably priced. They are a bit bigger than a cockatiel and have more responsibilities. They are great mimickers and are hilarious. However I have heard they can extremely loud and not the most loving bird.

2. Cockatiel: An adorable little bird that can be loving from what I’ve seen. They aren’t the best at talking but can whistle songs quite well. But they can be pretty dusty and some say they are kind of fussy.

3. Pacific Parrotlet: An adorably tiny bird with minimal noise. They can mimic but arent the best at talking. They can be very sweet as well. However they require a lot of cage space and are a but expensive for their size.

So overall I really love the Ringneck and a local store has babies for sale quite often. I absolutely LOVE these guys and their mimicking ability. But price, noise, and if they aren’t very affectionate may turn the tide. I would be alright settling for a cockatiel. And i really love the tiny but personality-packed Parrotlet. I don’t mind a budgie but it’s something a bit to “basic(?)” since I’ve had one, and there really isn’t such thing as a beginner bird if you do your research. So these are the three I have in mind. But which would be the best for a beginner? All comments, concerns, and questions are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The key issue here is what the next ten to fifteen (or more) years of your life will look like. You are on the cusp of some really big changes in your life: perhaps attending university, finding work or vocational training, moving out of the family home, and maybe meeting someone to share your life with. These are enormous changes for a person to navigate and very hard to do with a bird in tow. Parrots are long-lived animals - we have cockatiels on the forum who are in their thirties! That is a very long commitment and one that you, as a minor, cannot make. Your life is about to change dramatically in ways that you cannot predict and many many birds end up having to be rehomed because their human carer could not find pet-friendly housing, they didn't have time for them, they couldn't afford their care or the bird was aggressive to a new partner.

Having a bird to care for may mean you are unable to take up opportunities for travel, further training, education and even cheap rent - it's hard to find roommates that you can trust to keep a bird's environment safe for them.

Instead, enjoy the next ten years or so, seize every opportunity offered to you and, when you are in a more stable position in terms of housing, relationships, education, work and so on, then think about getting a bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How big of a cage can you fit?

What is your monthly budget for pellets, seeds, fresh veggies, and toys?

Do you have an avian vet available near you, and parents willing and able to take you for visits? (Most visits will average $90+ for a checkup, more for illness)

What if the bird doesn't mimic? Tiktok and Youtube are full of birds that talk and whistle, but the majority of them simply don't.

MisterSnuf

Moving in
Real Name
Daniel
The key issue here is what the next ten to fifteen (or more) years of your life will look like. You are on the cusp of some really big changes in your life: perhaps attending university, finding work or vocational training, moving out of the family home, and maybe meeting someone to share your life with. These are enormous changes for a person to navigate and very hard to do with a bird in tow. Parrots are long-lived animals - we have cockatiels on the forum who are in their thirties! That is a very long commitment and one that you, as a minor, cannot make. Your life is about to change dramatically in ways that you cannot predict and many many birds end up having to be rehomed because their human carer could not find pet-friendly housing, they didn't have time for them, they couldn't afford their care or the bird was aggressive to a new partner.

Having a bird to care for may mean you are unable to take up opportunities for travel, further training, education and even cheap rent - it's hard to find roommates that you can trust to keep a bird's environment safe for them.

Instead, enjoy the next ten years or so, seize every opportunity offered to you and, when you are in a more stable position in terms of housing, relationships, education, work and so on, then think about getting a bird.
Wow yea you are so right. Thank you for that. I would love one of these guys but you are right, I wont be able to afford certain things. Maybe its best to hold off till I am at least done with college. Tysm!

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'm glad you decided to wait, it was the best and hardest choice to make. Don't get too discouraged though, in the future you may be able to get the bird of your dreams.

MisterSnuf

Moving in
Real Name
Daniel
I'm glad you decided to wait, it was the best and hardest choice to make. Don't get too discouraged though, in the future you may be able to get the bird of your dreams.
Definitely. I’ll have a better and easier time once this next phase in my life is over. Wouldn’t want my bird to have a hard time as well.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I don’t mind a budgie but it’s something a bit to “basic(?)”
I wouldn't ever call any bird "basic", they are all complex and amazing in their own way :)

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I once had someone tell me that if I thought I was in a place time and commitment and money-wise to adopt a 3 year old child and raise it on my own until they were adult on their own, then it is a good time to think about adopting a parrot.

So far with my ringneck I've absolutely discovered that to be true - same level of effort and time and can easily be $100/month on toys for him to shred :)

Before I felt like I could adopt my bird, I spent time visiting a parrot rescue every week to get to know different species and how their general behaviors and care went. It was so helpful! It also helped reinforce that most birds don't talk - that was ways the first thing people asked when they came in :(

Good luck to you, and have fun researching in the meantime!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I always say a bird is a family pet. It has to be because the entire family has to make changes to welcome a bird into a house. No teflon, candles, etc. I know some wonderful young bird owners but I always worry about the things already mentioned- when the person goes to college, vacation, wants to hang out with friends etc. If the family views it as a family bird and fills in, that's one thing. Otherwise, it's just going to be another bird in the endless rehoming cycle. You sound like a very mature young person and I am glad you are thinking about the pros and cons.

As for IRNs. I would suggest meeting some before you would ultimately make a decision. Those super cute IRN videos suck you in. In my limited IRN experience, most aren't like that. They are beautiful birds but the ones I have met have been way more hands off, independent birds and not like the birds you see in the youtube videos. Or perhaps those birds are like that a few minutes a day and aren't showing what they're like all the time. Don't get me wrong, I really like IRNs. I just think those videos lead people to believe that all birds are IRNs are like that.

MisterSnuf

Moving in
Real Name
Daniel
I once had someone tell me that if I thought I was in a place time and commitment and money-wise to adopt a 3 year old child and raise it on my own until they were adult on their own, then it is a good time to think about adopting a parrot.

So far with my ringneck I've absolutely discovered that to be true - same level of effort and time and can easily be $100/month on toys for him to shred :)

Before I felt like I could adopt my bird, I spent time visiting a parrot rescue every week to get to know different species and how their general behaviors and care went. It was so helpful! It also helped reinforce that most birds don't talk - that was ways the first thing people asked when they came in :(

Good luck to you, and have fun researching in the meantime!
Lol thats a perfect comparison. But you are totally right! And its totally alright with me if a bird didnt talk :). But yea im still researching, but going to parrot rescues sounds pike a good and fun idea.

MisterSnuf

Moving in
Real Name
Daniel
I always say a bird is a family pet. It has to be because the entire family has to make changes to welcome a bird into a house. No teflon, candles, etc. I know some wonderful young bird owners but I always worry about the things already mentioned- when the person goes to college, vacation, wants to hang out with friends etc. If the family views it as a family bird and fills in, that's one thing. Otherwise, it's just going to be another bird in the endless rehoming cycle. You sound like a very mature young person and I am glad you are thinking about the pros and cons.

As for IRNs. I would suggest meeting some before you would ultimately make a decision. Those super cute IRN videos suck you in. In my limited IRN experience, most aren't like that. They are beautiful birds but the ones I have met have been way more hands off, independent birds and not like the birds you see in the youtube videos. Or perhaps those birds are like that a few minutes a day and aren't showing what they're like all the time. Don't get me wrong, I really like IRNs. I just think those videos lead people to believe that all birds are IRNs are like that.
Yea the burd would be a family bird but to an extent. And thats where the proble mm lies. I would be the one giving it it’s attention and time. I don’t have long before going to college. And while it is local to me to where I can stay home, who know ls if I would have time for it.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you're making a very wise and mature decision, and this bodes well for your future :) Sometimes we can want something very badly but it's simply not the right time for it: learning to delay our gratification is an important part of growing up that honestly, some adults never quite get the hang of.

College is busy: you will have scheduled classes, work and reading to do outside classes, study groups and social activities. There are often student groups for anything from knitting to rock-climbing to salsa dancing. You will make new friends, maybe take up new hobbies and learn new skills. It can be an enormously fulfilling part of someone's life and you can learn so much about the world, other people and yourself.

I am sure that you will make a parrot very happy in a few years when you have finished your education and have a better idea of what your adult life will look like.

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew

Hi Sunnysmom

What kind of bird is Elvis? Lovely cockatiels. All parrots are beautiful but imho tiels are just gorgeous

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hi Sunnysmom

What kind of bird is Elvis? Lovely cockatiels. All parrots are beautiful but imho tiels are just gorgeous
Elvis is a goffin cockatoo. And thank you. My tiels are sweethearts.