• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behavior of 2 green cheek conures relationship

peaches13

Strolling the yard
Hello.
I have 2 green cheek conure. Preening, touching tongue, and cuddling each other. Then one conure bites the feet of another conure, and the other conure screams. I don't know if this behavior means that the two of us like or dislike each other. I still don't know if the two have a good relationship with each other. They both stay in their own cages in case something will happen.

Attachments

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Based on the image, I'd say they are friends. Friends can still squabble and do things the other doesn't like. I know my pairs will pick at feet of the other until they tuck it or give head scritches.

peaches13

Strolling the yard
Based on the image, I'd say they are friends. Friends can still squabble and do things the other doesn't like. I know my pairs will pick at feet of the other until they tuck it or give head scritches.
Thank you! I would say they bond well but Rich keeps attack Peach’s feet. Peach yell that sounds pain? So I want to make sure they are okay their relationship.

Skye

Strolling the yard
Thank you! I would say they bond well but Rich keeps attack Peach’s feet. Peach yell that sounds pain? So I want to make sure they are okay their relationship.
Hello!

I have never kept conures before, but I guess I could share my experience with my current budgies Picka and Green Bean. I got them from a friend of mine who never really provided them with a proper cage and enrichment. Once I brought them home, I immediately put them in a bigger cage (because the friend gave me hers) with a bunch of toys. I did not notice any weird behavior or aggression happening between them. They weren't (and still are not) as affectionate towards each other as your two are, but they were definitely friends. After about a couple weeks, that friend comes over and watches them play. She saw Green Bean come up to Picka and said "oh, he's probably going to chew on her tail because he used to do that all the time." However, he did not do that. In fact, I was quite surprised to hear that from her, because it seemed that all the birds wanted to do was play with their toys, not pick on each other.

Now, please *do not* think that I am passive-aggressively telling you that you do not provide your birds with enough enrichment! Maybe you have the best set up you could possibly think of making, which I respect! What I am trying to say is maybe try doing little things like swapping/moving toys, sticking in a new swing, or simply giving them a veggie kabob. In short, provide them with fresh, but simple, entertainment. That way, maybe they could distract themselves and focus on doing something more interesting than annoying each other. :)

peaches13

Strolling the yard
Hello!

I have never kept conures before, but I guess I could share my experience with my current budgies Picka and Green Bean. I got them from a friend of mine who never really provided them with a proper cage and enrichment. Once I brought them home, I immediately put them in a bigger cage (because the friend gave me hers) with a bunch of toys. I did not notice any weird behavior or aggression happening between them. They weren't (and still are not) as affectionate towards each other as your two are, but they were definitely friends. After about a couple weeks, that friend comes over and watches them play. She saw Green Bean come up to Picka and said "oh, he's probably going to chew on her tail because he used to do that all the time." However, he did not do that. In fact, I was quite surprised to hear that from her, because it seemed that all the birds wanted to do was play with their toys, not pick on each other.

Now, please *do not* think that I am passive-aggressively telling you that you do not provide your birds with enough enrichment! Maybe you have the best set up you could possibly think of making, which I respect! What I am trying to say is maybe try doing little things like swapping/moving toys, sticking in a new swing, or simply giving them a veggie kabob. In short, provide them with fresh, but simple, entertainment. That way, maybe they could distract themselves and focus on doing something more interesting than annoying each other. :)
Oh that is good idea! Also, he came to home only 1 week right now. One bite bird (Rich) cage has 4 toys and 6 natural perches. Unfortunately he bites hard so my first bird (Peach) scream hard today and he yell some high pitch so Peach freaks out then he flew a room. Later, Peach got window hard and fall down on my bed. I have a sea grass mat in window to prevent hit window. I feed my bird twice a day for breakfast and dinner. During dinner time when I wash their feed and water bowls wash, Peach flew crazy after Rich scream and Peach fall off in deep water not toilet (I am always cover toilet).
My problems are Rich eats food by my finger, but he bites is crazy my skin take off. I did say NO and blew air hard in his nose does not work.. He bites to Peaches beak, feet, etc.. Rich is in cage, but Peach is out of cage most time. I bring a new friend to Peach because I will work a full time so not many times to play with him. Ik this is sad, but I am thinking to rehome Rich. Today, I saw Peach start to pluck his feather. I do not want to stress both of birds.. I feel bad so much rn. Do you think conure and conure bond well or conure and other small bird bond well? I am thinking cockatiel to make his friend.
But thank you your comment! :)

Attachments

Skye

Strolling the yard
Oh wow, this sounds like a complicated situation!

Do you think conure and conure bond well or conure and other small bird bond well? I am thinking cockatiel to make his friend.
After reading through the entire comment, I personally think that instead of getting another bird, you should start the introduction process all over again with the current two birds you have. It looks like Peach's main problem is that Rich screams very loud so he gets scared and gets him/herself into dangerous situations. Because of that, I would recommend, for now, not to let Peach out to play in the same room that Rich is in, even if Rich is in the cage. I do not know if that is possible for you, but it looks like it will be safest if Peach would first get completely used to Rich's vocalizations before having him exercise in the same area. Not letting Peach exercise in the same room will also protect him/her from Rich's bites.

Also, while Peach is getting used to Rich, do not keep their cages side by side. Have a safe distance between them so that they could not come in contact at all. Only once Peach is completely used to Rich's vocals, move their cages right next to each other so that they could feel each other through the bars. Watch them carefully. If you see that one becomes aggressive or wants to attack the other one, I do not think you could go further from there. You would probably have to continue letting them out separately. But if the worst thing they do is gentle nibbling, then I think that is fine, even my bonded pair of budgies does that. If they do well, leave them like that for a couple of days. Then, you could try letting them out on a neutral territory. The best neutral territory would be another room. If you are unable to do that, then you can let them out in the same room, just be sure to put something on top of the cages beforehand in case one is on top of the others cage while that other bird is still in the cage. Watch how they interact. By then Peach should not be triggered by Rich screaming, so I guess the main thing you should watch for are biting habits.

But, again, what you should focus on now is getting Peach used to Rich's vocals in a safe way. It would be nice if you got someone else's advice, so maybe @Mockinbirdiva could constructively-criticize what I wrote and speak from her experience? :)

Skye

Strolling the yard
@webchirp ? I am not sure who else had experience with more than one conure... :o: :anyone:

Edit: with keeping more than one conure at the same time