• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Beak chipping, normal?

Loor

Meeting neighbors
175DCA15-F17D-4C15-83E1-A39934FDB2C0.jpeg Looked at my girl today to see that her beak was chipped in a weird fashion. Is this a normal part of beak growth? It doesn’t seem like something urgent, no blood or scabs or anything, but you can never be too sure. Also, her feathers look like that because she just finished having a bath.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
:bump7:

Duel

Walking the driveway
Hasn't happened to my bird, I'm pretty sure that's gonna need a vet visit. Has your bird flew into anything or has it bumped into anything at all?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The beak will constantly chip away and be ground down over time. It seems that is a large chunk but the beak will grow and be ground down. You can visit the vet and get it buffed a little.
It is important that your bird gets a healthy diet and also has things that will help keep his beak in good condition, a pedi perch (one with a smooth edge), wooden blocks to chew (if your bird takes to them), cuttlefish bones are also good grroming tools.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
That is normal for some lovebirds. you have the side of the beak, where the edge is irregular and that is chipping and is 100% normal. Then you have that deep notch and then the downward pointing stylus of the upper beak. That notch is where the lower beak fits into the upper beak when the beak is closed. Look at the beak when it is closed and you will see what I mean. The thing that causes most of the chipping on parrot beaks is just moving around grabbing the cage bars with their beak; hard metal against that thin portion of the beak.

Your bird is beautiful. I had a lutino many, many moons ago....

Loor

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much! I know a little peeling is normal, I was just a bit concerned that that whole section chipped. Happy to know everything’s good. :)

Tweetypie_

Moving in
Real Name
Serena
That is totally normal and don't worry my two love birds Tweety and Summer always have chipped beaks and so does my conure and it's completely fine no need to worry

Duel

Walking the driveway
Wow guess I still got a lot to learn about birds since I really thought its not normal. Then again I only have one bird and hes my first pet/bird.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Wow guess I still got a lot to learn about birds since I really thought its not normal. Then again I only have one bird and hes my first pet/bird.
Some birds do present a little differently. I think it is comforting that your first thought was to get professional help. That is the sign of a caring bird owner! It does looks like a rather radical chip. It is great to share the info and to see all the differences between birds. Learning everyday is the way of birds
:grouphug2: