• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Backpack bird Carrier or Bag Carrier?

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
Since harness training is going to take a long time and because we just need a bird carrier, what kinda do you prefer? I would love to take my bird on walks so that she can get some vitamin D :D

Also any tips with introducing the outside to birds would be great.

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
I use a backpack cause I find it more convenient to carry. I like being handsfree on walks too :)

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I prefer backpacks, but I have also used travel cages too. I have had two different backpack carriers for my birds, I really like both of them, but I prefer (and honestly the birds do too) this one which I got recently:

It's sturdy and I like that it has a clear front, but also has the darker piece of material that you can put over the front if needed. And it has decent ventilation on the sides, it also has a stainless steel food cup, but not a water cup. But there is a water bottle holder and hole for the water bottle to go through on the side of the carrier. I really don't like using water bottles, but I found a glass one on Amazon and it is only ever used for short times and works well with the carrier. I'm trying to figure out a way to change the perch to a natural wood branch or something too eventually, instead of the dowel. I've also added toys to it and my cockatiel has really liked it so far.

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
The backpack is the best. Even m guys like it. Its so easy to carry.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I use a backpack for Burt and a small cage for Squeak.

@JewellBird how is your dowel fixed in place? Burt’s carrier has a bolt either side of the perch on the outside of the bag so the perch can be changed easily. Is yours the same?

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
I prefer backpacks, but I have also used travel cages too. I have had two different backpack carriers for my birds, I really like both of them, but I prefer (and honestly the birds do too) this one which I got recently:

It's sturdy and I like that it has a clear front, but also has the darker piece of material that you can put over the front if needed. And it has decent ventilation on the sides, it also has a stainless steel food cup, but not a water cup. But there is a water bottle holder and hole for the water bottle to go through on the side of the carrier. I really don't like using water bottles, but I found a glass one on Amazon and it is only ever used for short times and works well with the carrier. I'm trying to figure out a way to change the perch to a natural wood branch or something too eventually, instead of the dowel. I've also added toys to it and my cockatiel has really liked it so far.
Thank you so much for sharing what backpack carrier you use! It is pricey but honestly it sounds so worth it and I’m going to order it! Also thanks for talking about the glass water bottle. I was wondering about water spillage :smuggrin:

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
Is

@JewellBird how is your dowel fixed in place? Burt’s carrier has a bolt either side of the perch on the outside of the bag so the perch can be changed easily. Is yours the same?
I noticed that you said you used a small cage for your other bird Squeak. How will I know if my bird is comfortable with being a carrier? Will I have to condition my bird to get used to being inside it and how would I know when to stop training if my bird refuses to stay in it?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is

I noticed that you said you used a small cage for your other bird Squeak. How will I know if my bird is comfortable with being a carrier? Will I have to condition my bird to get used to being inside it and how would I know when to stop training if my bird refuses to stay in it?
You’ll do exactly the same kind of training for a smaller cage and a backpack... as neither is the cage/carrier they’re going to be used to, you leave it within their sight (at a safe distance) for a while and let them interact with it when they’re out of their cage having free time- you may find favourite treats work well for this.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda

The dowel has holes on both sides of it and two screws go into those. It isn't difficult to change out, it's just finding a good natural perch to fit in nice and securely, that won't move too much. I'm planning on going to the local parrot store soon and finding one that fits perfect in person rather than ordering one online and not being able to see how well it fits etc.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
Is

With my new carrier/backpack I started by having it out near the birds play areas so they could be near it while they were out and I put some of their favorite treats and toys in it and they started exploring and getting in it pretty quick. At this point they have gotten used to the backpack carrier being out by their playgrounds so much that they even will just go in and sit on the perch and play with the toys in there while out now just like any other part of their playgrounds lol. As for getting them used to going out in it, I just started with short times of having any of them in the carrier and would just go outside for a few minutes or so and then take them right back and take them out and I just slowly extended the time from there.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The dowel has holes on both sides of it and two screws go into those. It isn't difficult to change out, it's just finding a good natural perch to fit in nice and securely, that won't move too much. I'm planning on going to the local parrot store soon and finding one that fits perfect in person rather than ordering one online and not being able to see how well it fits etc.
I’d give your measurements to one of our perch making vendors and get one from one of them ;)

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
You’ll do exactly the same kind of training for a smaller cage and a backpack... as neither is the cage/carrier they’re going to be used to, you leave it within their sight (at a safe distance) for a while and let them interact with it when they’re out of their cage having free time- you may find favourite treats work well for this.
Okay thank you!

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
With my new carrier/backpack I started by having it out near the birds play areas so they could be near it while they were out and I put some of their favorite treats and toys in it and they started exploring and getting in it pretty quick. At this point they have gotten used to the backpack carrier being out by their playgrounds so much that they even will just go in and sit on the perch and play with the toys in there while out now just like any other part of their playgrounds lol. As for getting them used to going out in it, I just started with short times of having any of them in the carrier and would just go outside for a few minutes or so and then take them right back and take them out and I just slowly extended the time from there.
Thank you for the advice! Will definitely try these methods out and take it slow going outside :)