• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Love Bird Questions

alexisiv

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alexis Velasco
Hello,
Im new here and have a few questions! I have 2 baby love birds, one almost completely feathered, the other still growing feathers on the back. I dont know there age as they were a gift. I can post pictures if needed. I wanted to know how often I should be handling them as I want them to be tame. For now I take them out for 30 minutes a day and let them sit in my shirt. They are used to me now. I also need advice on this. I have to see my mother in big bear the first week of january. Can I take them up to the mountains, the elevation is 7-8,000 ft. Will it harm them? I do not feel comfortable leaving them as I am still hand feeding. Any advice would be helpful in relation to these questions and on raising baby love birds!
Thank you so much

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello Alexis, Welcome to the avenue :)

Yes, the picture would help. If they were feathered and you had to go somewhere you would have to take them with you, thought it´s not ideal, you would just have to do it or cancel the trip.
The problem is if they are still lacking feathers and can´t regulate their own heat and stay warm, you will need a heat source all the way there, and while you are away too, again, not really good to be moving the really young chicks, but if there´s no one to care for them in your absense, you will have to find a way to make it work. Keep a thermometer and hygrometer attached so you can monitor temp and humidity during the journey and your stay.

Another consideration, check for vets in that area should something go wrong and you need medical assistance for the little ones. (you just never know, especially with some movement).

January is still a good 10 days away so the little ones will grow a lot in that time.

Last thing would be to remember they need to be interacted with, and possibly introduced new foods to (depending on age).

If you can post a picture, especially of the tail and wings, I can give you a somewhat decent estimate on age :)

Can I take them up to the mountains, the elevation is 7-8,000 ft
I don´t know about the altitude.
@Hankmacaw ?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know. I only know that I would not take my Jasper up to that altitude because I knew her respiratory system was compromised. Babies have tiny lungs and I have no idea if the lack of oxygen at that altitude would effect their breathing and oxygen saturation.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe i should consult a vet then
I would definitely do that and ask about the altitude. Sounds like it could be a problem.

Also keep an eye on those little ones because the one on the right has been plucked either by parents or by that other bird.

You will have to take them for a check up, as with all new birds acquired, so I would take them in have tests run to be sure they are illness/disease free (mainly polyoma, pbfd and psittacosis), and ask about the trip.