• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby conure not eating as much anymore

Melve

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mel
Hi all! I got 2 sun conures a few weeks ago. The guy told me they were around 3 weeks and they've been doing fine ever since. Lately I've noticed a few things about them, they aren't wanting as much of the baby formula which is heated to about 105-110° and i do make sure the crop is empty before the next feeding. I have tried to introduce things like fruits and veggies and they are very receptive to them, like they stay there chewing on them for a good 25 minutes before they start running around and exploring. Then maybe 2 days ago i thought I'd introduce them to their big bird food which are the natural zupreem pellets. I softened them in warm water and they also seem to nibble on those for a while. And yesterday both of them start actually flying maybe a foot of the ground. They are pooping normal and they don't have signs of crop burn. They both seem alert, playful and energetic. So anyway, they just seem to be wanting less and less of their hand feeding formula but are open to trying other stuff out. But from what I've read, sun conures don't start the weaning process until about 10 weeks. Is it possible that they are starting early? Or should i just do more frequent but lesser quantity hand feedings?

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
it seems to me that they are starting early. It could be possible he told you the wrong age. I'm sorry, I don't have much experience. I hope others can chime in.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
They were probably a little older than you were told. They fledge and wean around the same time. I would continue the weaning process and let them tell you when they are done with the formula. Usually they will do this by rejecting 3 or more times in a row. Be sure to keep a scale handy and weigh them every day. You can pick one up through amazon for about $10 USD. While it’s normal for them to lose a little weight when they wean/fledge you need to make sure it isn’t too much. Good luck with your babies :)

Melve

Real Name
Mel
Yeah i hope that's what it is because i used to feed them 17 ml, then 15 ml, now im lucky if they eat 10 at each feeding. They'll turn their heads or when i put a little in their mouths, they just shake their heads. Do you know whats a good weight they should be at?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum Mel,

I agree with @Kodigirl210 , sounds like you were lied to.

Or should i just do more frequent but lesser quantity hand feedings?
No, during weaning they eat formula less often, usually morning and night, as the chick will eat food during the day.

let them tell you when they are done with the formula. Usually they will do this by rejecting 3 or more times in a row.
I like to offer it for a full week after they start rejecting formula, just to be sure. I don´t force them to eat, and it usually gets wasted, but best to offer just incase.

Maybe you can post a picture?

Kodigirl210

Fully grown they weigh around 100-130g. All different kinds of things affect weight and not all babies are the same despite the being the same type. I can only guess but all things being equal, your babies should probably weigh 80-90g more or less by 5g.

Don’t get hung up on the numbers and worry about what they “should” weigh. Really you just need to watch the day to day. Make sure to weigh them at the same time every day. A 3-5g variance is pretty normal. If it’s more like a 6-10g loss then you may need to up attempting to feed or there may be another issue such as sour crop or something.

I usually weigh in the afternoon before the afternoon feeding. I feel the morning is too unreliable as their biggest poop is then. Followed by binge eating lol.

Melve

Real Name
Mel
20190420_074510.jpg okay so the first picture is when we first got them and the one on the chair is them after their feeding this morning. The one looking at the camera flew a little higher this morning and is just as long as the the one looking to the side.

Attachments

Kodigirl210

They look like they are doing fine. Like I said don’t get hung up on a day to day, must weigh this much or else. Just keep an eye on the overall pattern of them staying within 3-5g of their daily weight with an overall upward trend unless you have a sudden huge drop. Cute babies ;)

Melve

Real Name
Mel
I'll be monitoring their weight now. Thanks for responding!