• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Conure Not Bonding, Barely Wants Anything to do With me

bcaylor

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brandon
Hey all. I created this account to hopefully get some advice. I purchased a baby conure in which I named Xatu when he (still waiting on the DNA results, but I'm used to saying he) was 3 months old, and I've had him for almost 3 months now. I have a cockatiel as well, and sometimes they get along, sometimes they don't, but if they start fighting, I just separate and cage them for a little bit, or if it's a really bad day, only one comes out at a time.

I work full time from home, and both of the bird cages are in my office near my desk, with Xatu's cage being the closest near me. I talk sweetly and gently to him, worked on target training (he's doing decent at it), and also sometimes am able to hold him. This is where things get sticky and have caused me so much frustration (no, I don't take it out on the bird). He will only step up when he is getting out of his cage, because he absolutely hates his cage and always has. Always clean, has fresh water and food, large, and plenty of toys to play with. He has a play stand on top of his cage where he spends most of the day. He will eat, play, bath, and just mainly perch near me and watch me. He fluffs himself up and beak grinds as well while just facing towards me. Unfortunately, he is damn near impossible to get to step up when he's out of the cage without bribing him with millet (which I feel is bad because in my view it just enforces him that he will get a treat to step up if he waits), will screech and bite me randomly if I'm either asking for him to step up or if he is already on my finger, and he just literally wants nothing to do with me about 90% of the time. It's so frustrating because I've done nothing but pour love into it. I don't force him to step up unless he's on the floor or if I'm trying to get him into his cage, in which I just bribe him with millet. 80% of the time he will step up without an issue if he's on the floor.

I just don't know what to do at this point. I've tried everything on YouTube, these forums, reddit, books, etc and nothing seems to work. He just doesn't want me 99% of the time unless he wants something in the end (getting out of his cage, treat, etc). I'm just about to give up on him and just not try to bond at all anymore and let him just be by himself all the time. Take him out of his cage, set him on top and leave him be with 0 interaction, and put him back when it's time for him to go to bed. I've never had a bird that has taken this long to even want anything to do with me, and I have next to no hope that he ever will. Does anyone have any ideas at all? Am I just destined for him to never bond with me?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just don't know what to do at this point. I've tried everything on YouTube, these forums, reddit, books, etc and nothing seems to work. He just doesn't want me 99% of the time unless he wants something in the end (getting out of his cage, treat, etc). I'm just about to give up on him and just not try to bond at all anymore and let him just be by himself all the time. Take him out of his cage, set him on top and leave him be with 0 interaction, and put him back when it's time for him to go to bed. I've never had a bird that has taken this long to even want anything to do with me, and I have next to no hope that he ever will. Does anyone have any ideas at all? Am I just destined for him to never bond with me?
After reading your post my first thought is you can't put a time limit on if or when a bird wants to step up/bond or interact with you each bird is there own self you see loads of threads and people get a bird home and it's out the cage best of friends straight away however thats doesnt always happen, I know i have a GCC coure that is now just about deciding she trusts me enough to step up all very much on her own terms though i have had her for just under a year.
during this time there has been lots of interaction target training, offering treats,playing with foot toys,attempts at step up training she also has my other conure that she plays with. ( my other conure will climb all over me kiss me they are worlds apart )
For me patience is the key allow the bird to settle in get to know you and keep on working on developing a relationship.

Hey all. I created this account to hopefully get some advice. I purchased a baby conure in which I named Xatu when he (still waiting on the DNA results, but I'm used to saying he) was 3 months old, and I've had him for almost 3 months now. I have a cockatiel as well, and sometimes they get along, sometimes they don't, but if they start fighting, I just separate and cage them for a little bit, or if it's a really bad day, only one comes out at a time.
This cant be a good thing if you are having to cage them for fighting i think you need to seriously consider seperate out of cage time how did you introduce them to each other and over what period of time ?

Put yourself in your new birds feathers it's in a new home settling in getting used you starting to trust you to then there is a fight the birds are seperated and caged you putting him back in a cage like this is putting any progress made back a quick fix would be seperate out of cage time.
If he doesnt like hands train him to go back in the cage by himeself this time will help build trust and will remove the need to force him to step up to return him to his cage.
You will need to bribe with treats at first this is what i did i offered lots of praise calling her a clever girl now when it's bedtime i say clever girl KiKi and she off to her cage no problem she still gets the occasional treat.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he doesnt like hands train him to go m
You will need to bribe with treats at first this is what i did i offered lots of praise calling her a clever girl now when it's bedtime i say clever girl KiKi and she off to her cage no problem she still gets the occasional treat.
Agree with Wardy.
Don't be afraid to offer treats when he steps up or when interacting with him. You want him to associate your hands in a positive light, especially when first starting out

You mentioned that you're afraid of him expecting treats when stepping up but that's part of training too. You gradually ask for "more" and offer rewards after more "commands" (interactions) etc

For the start though, I would offer a little bit of treats to him unprompted at times. When you're taking a break from work etc. You want to let him know that being around you rewards him

If you're only offering treats when asking him to step up to cage him then I think that also cancels out some of the positive reward of the millet