• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby bird has left the nest

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
Hi, so my baby budgie is 6 weeks old now, and this morning I walked out to find it was sitting on the bottom of the cage. I heard that budgies fledge around 5 weeks, but I’m unsure if the baby should be out or if the parents have kicked it out. For the last couple days I’ve noticed it sitting right at the entrance of the box sticking his head out, if that helps. What should I do? The baby isn’t perching just sitting on the bottom, and the dad is sitting on the lowest perch above it watching it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds fine to me :)
Be sure to have out some food on small plates that the chick has access to as well as fresh water down there.

Any more chicks in the nest?

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
Sounds fine to me :)
Be sure to have out some food on small plates that the chick has access to as well as fresh water down there.

Any more chicks in the nest?
Alright, thanks. I did put the baby back in the nest after a while because all it did for a few hours was sit in the corner. I am going to be taking it to the vet as soon as I can because it seems to have a splayed leg and can’t hold onto anything properly. I was just wondering if you had any tips for taming it before it’s fully out of the nest and flying? Is it safe to be removing it from the nest and handling it? Sorry about all the questions but this is the first time I’ve had baby birds and after the other 3 babies passed I want to be extra careful.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
it seems to have a splayed leg
Some info to have a read of;
Be sure to act quickly. The quicker you seek help, the best chance of success you have. If the bird is feathered, I would be making plans to get him to the vet asap.

Is it safe to be removing it from the nest and handling it?
Sure if he´s not too frightened. You can even offer some little millet seeds to the youngster from your hand to show him you mean no harm.
Millet spray is a really good choice of food, most little birds LOVE it, and you can cut it longer or shorter to match how comfortable the bird is with you. Start by offering a longer piece, and you can make it shorter as they get comfortable around you.

I did put the baby back in the nest after a while because all it did for a few hours was sit in the corner
I wonder how able he is to move around. A young bird should be quite active and adventurous. At first they might sit still observing, but most ill start to explore after a while.
Monitor closely to be sure the parents still feed it, but the birds should be coming out of the box now to wean to start eating things on their own. Did you put food on the ground level for the little one?

As a side note, if you post a clear picture of your birds cere in natural light, some members of the board might be able to sex him/her for you.