• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Babes cockatiel

StarFl

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Estrella
Hello, I’m new here (English is not my first language) and also my first time taking care of a bird. I put a box “home” to my grownups cockatiels and they had two babies for the first time. At 5th day they stopped getting inside the box and let the babies alone for a whole day and a whole night. I took care of them and took them to the only vet in town that checks on birds and she say they are ok but I am still worried.

I have read that the proper temperature is 28c but they always seek for heat so I try to keep a little more of temperature 34

They are 19 and 18 days old but they development is sooo slow. They are small and they only have grown feathers on the wings (too slow). The older one is smaller than the second

They are always hungry (even after eating) and craving for attention.

What do you think of them? Skinny? Anormal? Sick?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello,

It is important they are kept warm at a steady temperature. Humidity around 60-65%. Changes to temperature and humidity can affect development and crop movement.
Try to not have them out of the brooder for too long as to not catch a chill. Warm your hands before handling them, and sit them in a bowl lined wih a towel or dry cloth for feeds so they are warm.

Food should be given at 105F (40C), unless package instructions indicate otherwise (some can be fed one or two degrees cooler) - use a thermometer to monitor. Throw away any unused food.
You should be feeding them 10% of their body weight per feeding, and a little more if they ask for it as long as the crop does not overfill. So if they weigh 25g, you should be feeding about 2.5-3CC.

I have read that the proper temperature is 28c but they always seek for heat so I try to keep a little more of temperature 34
28 is too cold for their age and development. Should be 31 - 34 C. You can reduce to 25C in a week or so as long as they start growing.

edit;
I forgot to add this link to the Cockatiel Cottage, thereś lots of info and tips there for cockatiel chicks.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:welave:

Good luck with the little babies.
Zara's giving you great advice.
Hope we get to read many happy updates .

StarFl

Real Name
Estrella
Hello,

It is important they are kept warm at a steady temperature. Humidity around 60-65%. Changes to temperature and humidity can affect development and crop movement.
Try to not have them out of the brooder for too long as to not catch a chill. Warm your hands before handling them, and sit them in a bowl lined wih a towel or dry cloth for feeds so they are warm.

Food should be given at 105F (40C), unless package instructions indicate otherwise (some can be fed one or two degrees cooler) - use a thermometer to monitor. Throw away any unused food.
You should be feeding them 10% of their body weight per feeding, and a little more if they ask for it as long as the crop does not overfill. So if they weigh 25g, you should be feeding about 2.5-3CC.

28 is too cold for their age and development. Should be 31 - 34 C. You can reduce to 25C in a week or so as long as they start growing.

edit;
I forgot to add this link to the Cockatiel Cottage, thereś lots of info and tips there for cockatiel chicks.
Thank you both your help and kind words.
I really appreciate the help since I really don’t know what to do the most of the time. The vet says one thing (everything is fine, she said) and internet show me other things is kinda crazy.

I try to keep them at 32C but I live in hot town where the weather is crazy and change constantly so keep the same 32C is a hell.
Do you guys think they’re fine with the feathers? I mean, Wednesday will be three weeks already and they just have grow a few in the wings, tail and between eyes.

But, oh boy! They have a lot of energy!! They can’t see me or they will start to yell like crazy, mostly after I feed them. (I use the fórmula the vet gave me and three drops of glicopan pet). Is it normal they are that hungry? Even where they are full they still are hungry! But I think it is lack of affection. When I pick up the youngest one (the loudest) he/she yell for a few minutes and then he falls asleep in my hands. He is always awake.
The oldest one likes to sleep near the source of heat but if he listen to his brother… he is up for a screaming match.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I try to keep them at 32C but I live in hot town where the weather is crazy and change constantly so keep the same 32C is a hell.
It is easier to do this when housing the birds inside a brooder. You can DIY a brooder using a critter carrier (like a small plastic box/small fish tank type looking tub), if you can't find something like that, you can use a large plastic container with a lid, and cut holes for air circulation. Line the brooder with aspen shavings (you can use coarse pine if no aspen is available - avoid fine pine, and never use cedar).

They have a lot of energy!!
That is a good sign. Chicks should be active, or at least have active spurts between lots of naps.

glicopan pet)
Sorry, I do not know what that is.

Is it normal they are that hungry? Even where they are full they still are hungry! But I think it is lack of affection.
Weigh each chick in the morning, and then feed them 10% of that weight per feed. You can go a little over as long as the crop is not full.
It is always better to feed a little less more often, than to over feed and feed less often - I hope that makes sense. Too much food in the crop can stretch it which will lead to problems.

Chicks are noisy. Sometimes it is for food, other times for affection. Your chicks should settle easier as they have each other to snuggle into. Be sure to return them to the brooder quite quickly after feeding so they can huddle and sleep. While they are unfeathered, keep interactions to just a few minutes a time. If the room temp and humidity is similar to inside the brooder, they can be out for a bit longer, but remember they need to rest.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
three drops of glicopan pet)
Are you sure that is the correct dosage? 3 drops seems like a lot of supplement. This is one I am not familiar with but for formula for two small chicks, 3 drops is a lot.
Do you know what the brand of food is that you are feeding? Most hand rearing formulas are complete and have all the vitamins and nutrition a baby bird needs.

StarFl

Real Name
Estrella
Hello again, thank you for your time!

I just found this information in English:
Glicopan

Weigh each chick in the morning, and then feed them 10% of that weight per feed. You can go a little over as long as the crop is not full.
It is always better to feed a little less more often, than to over feed and feed less often - I hope that makes sense. Too much food in the crop can stretch it which will lead to problems.
The older one's weight is 15g and the other is 20g (weighted on last Saturday) I feed them with this given by the vet

Captura de Pantalla 2023-05-01 a la(s) 6.42.20 p. m..png

Chicks are noisy. Sometimes it is for food, other times for affection. Your chicks should settle easier as they have each other to snuggle into. Be sure to return them to the brooder quite quickly after feeding so they can huddle and sleep. While they are unfeathered, keep interactions to just a few minutes a time. If the room temp and humidity is similar to inside the brooder, they can be out for a bit longer, but remember they need to rest.
I had to separate them one week ago. The older one is kind of aggressive, he bite the other one in the wings, and because of this, the younger one became aggressive too (he wasn't like that).

By the way, these are pictures of them today

Captura de Pantalla 2023-05-01 a la(s) 6.53.16 p. m..png Captura de Pantalla 2023-05-01 a la(s) 6.53.26 p. m..png

You know... the older one... he fell from the cage and my cat found him but didn't do anything against him (I thought that maybe one of the parents took him out, actually don't know but they accepted him back) . Then five days after they were born, the parents stopped getting inside the box and they spent that night alone in the cold (on a rainy day the weather is 20C-22C) I didn't know what to do, I spent the whole night crying because I thought they would be dead by morning, but they didn't so I watch videos buy them food and started feeding them. I took them to the only "exotic vet" (I didn't know that was a thing, I just thought all of the vets accepted birds) and she gave me the Glicopan and another food because their crop didn't emptied properly, and she always say they are ok but I watch videos and by now they should be covered on feathers and they are not so I'm worried. :( I never intended for my mother's birds to have babies and then abandoned them, and I never expected them to survive under my care... but it is exhausting and I don't see good results, I just don't want them to suffer and I think that maybe I am doing something wrong.

Sorry for my rambling :'(

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The little one does look a bit stunted but it's hard to see in pictures. Try not to worry over what they should or shouldn't look like and focus on keeping them warm, with 60-65% humidity. Keep the crops moving. As long as the crop is digesting the food and they are growing, even if only slowly, it is a good sign and there is hope for your little birds.
If you worry, it can stress the birds. And there's not much you can do to help them grow at this point aside from the above. Remember to keep the environment constant, steady.
It is good to be aware that they are not as developed as they should be, but try not to fret or get down, stay positive :)

StarFl

Real Name
Estrella
The little one does look a bit stunted but it's hard to see in pictures. Try not to worry over what they should or shouldn't look like and focus on keeping them warm, with 60-65% humidity. Keep the crops moving. As long as the crop is digesting the food and they are growing, even if only slowly, it is a good sign and there is hope for your little birds.
If you worry, it can stress the birds. And there's not much you can do to help them grow at this point aside from the above. Remember to keep the environment constant, steady.
It is good to be aware that they are not as developed as they should be, but try not to fret or get down, stay positive :)
Hello!! Here an update:
The older one… he died he ate wood shavings and I couldn’t save him. It’s been a week and I am still mourning

I received help from a fellow citizen and she helped me to change the food for an imported one from USA. Now the other one is growing sooo good that makes me feel worse that I could have given the older one a better life but I didn’t know
Aaaaaand…
I have this situation:
This little guy has been doing this movements, I don’t know if he is regurgitating or panting.

You see, the normal temperature in my city is 28C but in order to keep the box warm, I put a bulb and glass bottles of warm water inside the box.
Buuuut, the weather is being a Karma and the temperature is 34/35c and he started doing this since yesterday. And now he has more feathers than the last week so I guess he doesn’t need the his older range of temperature… but… in the nights the weather is 21/22c so I don’t know what to do!!

is he hot? Why he is doing whatever he is doing ?
Should I turn on the air-con?
Ty!!!

Attachments