• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Self Disinfecting Machines Safe/ Ozone in Water?

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
Hi everyone!
I have a weird question. Long story short, we live on a farm and have a tank system for water. While the water is city water I have never trusted that something might get in our tank (it is cleaned regularly but I'm just paranoid). So my birds have been getting bottled water. I would like to change as there is so much plastic waste but a little confused about what's safe. The current bottles they drink are ozonated but from my understanding, that's safe as ozone has a half-life of thirty minutes (or at least I think that's what it is) and should be out of the water waaaaayyy before it gets to a consumer. However, we have a water dispenser for ourselves that we buy big jugs for. I was considering using it for the birds as well. It is a self-cleaning one and using ozone to self-clean. Logically I would think this would not be a problem for them but I'm not 100% sure and can't seem to find much about ozone in water for parrots or with the self-cleaning. I know ozone in the air for them is not good but can't seem to find any other answers. Not sure if anyone would have any ideas but if you do, they would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

How long does Ozone last in water?
Due to its short half-life, Ozone will start to decay as soon as it is produced. Lasting an average of 20 minutes in the water before it begins to decay, Ozone concentration will reduce by half within this time period.
I figure that if you leave an open jug overnight most will be gone but it wouldn't hurt to then run the water through a carbon filter (britta) to remove any remnants. If you put freshly drawn ozonated water through a carbon filter it'll destroy the carbon in double quick time.
In theory boiling the water would get rid of a lot of the Ozone too.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can’t you just boil and filter your water from the tank?
My birds get either rain water from our tank or town water when it doesn’t smell like pool water sometimes.

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer

I figure that if you leave an open jug overnight most will be gone but it wouldn't hurt to then run the water through a carbon filter (britta) to remove any remnants. If you put freshly drawn ozonated water through a carbon filter it'll destroy the carbon in double quick time.
In theory boiling the water would get rid of a lot of the Ozone too.
Can’t you just boil and filter your water from the tank?
My birds get either rain water from our tank or town water when it doesn’t smell like pool water sometimes.
I was thinking about boiling but does it remove even the good minerals? I thought I read it's best for the water to still have some healthy stuff in it but I wasn't sure if boiling gets rid of that. I also wasn't sure about a britta, but if those are safe that would be a good option.