• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Quick Fill Lixit Bottles Safe?

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
Hello Everyone!
I'm wondering if anyone has or used this water bottle (Lixit Quick Fill Medium Bird Bottle, 20-Ounce: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies) and what their thoughts are on it.
I'm looking into getting a water bottle to train and use from some new carries I am getting for my birds. The one that is recommended for the carriers are the Lixit quick fill. I was researching them and all seemed good until I came across this concerning review. It stated (Will include pictures of the review for ease),

I'm not too sure why Lixit is promoting that this valve on their bottles are SS when they are plainly hot dipped and electroplated.
Emailed owner of Lixit concerning this issue her response: "I'll look into it"
See pics!
I have many SS drinking valves and NONE look like this not in color, material or quality with pitting, OBVIOUS plating and thickness of material.
1. STOP promoting these are SS when they are NOT!
2. The quality is terrible to top it off per the pictures, what I need to know is the amount of zinc that is being used in your products.
Zinc is toxic to birds especially yet you market these products to birds and other animals! Why? Your quality has gone down over the years instead of improving which is sad for this company!
RETURNING DO NOT RECOMMEND!!

Now I'm actually not clear on what they are talking about but want to be really sure everything is safe before I buy it. Does anyone know what this is about? Or if this is true? If there is any other recommendations of bottles, I'm open to hear that as well! Thanks!

Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG Capture3.PNG Capture4.PNG

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hmmm I’ll be watching this thread!
I have one of those bottles for Burt’s carrier.
I’ve been wanting another because my complaint is that it the tops leaks like crazy so on the very bumpy roads I have to travel to get anywhere with Burt in the car I need to put a towel under it and make sure there’s enough water still in it when we get to where we are going.

I don’t know about any of the stuff you posted about though so I’m interested to learn more from other members.

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
Hmmm I’ll be watching this thread!
I have one of those bottles for Burt’s carrier.
I’ve been wanting another because my complaint is that it the tops leaks like crazy so on the very bumpy roads I have to travel to get anywhere with Burt in the car I need to put a towel under it and make sure there’s enough water still in it when we get to where we are going.

I don’t know about any of the stuff you posted about though so I’m interested to learn more from other members.
Yea, that was the only other complaint about these bottles that I've seen. That was a little concerning as well but was going to try it as it was recommended for the carrier and I really didn't know what other one to try. If you don't mind me asking, which carrier do you have? I've just ordered the Pak-O-Bird for my Conures and it had great reviews but wasn't able to ask anyone personally how they liked their carriers, just read some reviews. I'm super excited to try mine out and be able to get my birds used to their new carriers!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have the Calltei Pak-O-Bird for Burt.
I love it but am overall a little disappointed in it now I’ve had it a while and know it well, lots of design flaws or maybe just not thought out as well as they could have been for the big birds.
I have some issues carrying it as none of the straps tighten up enough for the bag to fit me properly- there is no way either Burt or myself would be comfortable with me having to hike with the carrier for any length of time due to the fact that I can not adjust the bag to fit my frame so I have to hold the straps with both hands when wearing it to keep the carrier sturdy on my back and to keep it from dropping down and banging into the back of my legs. I am a rather small frame but I was assured it would fit me..... unfortunately they were very wrong!!
He has managed to do some damage to the inside of the bag :( as he got bored and cranky when he had to sit in there for longer than he wanted to during our move last year. lol. I think he’s now found every weak spot of which there are many which is very sad for the price they cost! He has totally broken all the metal protectors on the inside- they were a joke and begging him to chew them lol.
If he’s busy watching things or being carried/driven somewhere he doesn’t try to damage the bag at all but boredom or excitement to get out and he tries to find a way out of the bag. I would love to be able to alter a few things for the Macaw size bag..... I guess maybe they tested the carriers on smaller birds?? I do believe they were designed with much smaller birds in mind and they didn’t make enough alterations for the extra damage a macaw beak can do- I’m guessing a destructive cockatoo could do the same sort of damage.

If I ever got another one I would be paying someone to alter many parts of it before using it so it is actually suitable for a macaw who gets bored!

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it for smaller birds though!

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
I have the Calltei Pak-O-Bird for Burt.
I love it but am overall a little disappointed in it now I’ve had it a while and know it well, lots of design flaws or maybe just not thought out as well as they could have been for the big birds.
I have some issues carrying it as none of the straps tighten up enough for the bag to fit me properly- there is no way either Burt or myself would be comfortable with me having to hike with the carrier for any length of time due to the fact that I can not adjust the bag to fit my frame so I have to hold the straps with both hands when wearing it to keep the carrier sturdy on my back and to keep it from dropping down and banging into the back of my legs. I am a rather small frame but I was assured it would fit me..... unfortunately they were very wrong!!
He has managed to do some damage to the inside of the bag :( as he got bored and cranky when he had to sit in there for longer than he wanted to during our move last year. lol. I think he’s now found every weak spot of which there are many which is very sad for the price they cost! He has totally broken all the metal protectors on the inside- they were a joke and begging him to chew them lol.
If he’s busy watching things or being carried/driven somewhere he doesn’t try to damage the bag at all but boredom or excitement to get out and he tries to find a way out of the bag. I would love to be able to alter a few things for the Macaw size bag..... I guess maybe they tested the carriers on smaller birds?? I do believe they were designed with much smaller birds in mind and they didn’t make enough alterations for the extra damage a macaw beak can do- I’m guessing a destructive cockatoo could do the same sort of damage.

If I ever got another one I would be paying someone to alter many parts of it before using it so it is actually suitable for a macaw who gets bored!

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it for smaller birds though!
I never really thought about what it would be like with a larger bird. I've only owned smaller birds (Sun Conure being the largest) and I know even they like to chew sometimes and rip up papers and such. I do know that much larger birds can be destructive and can see how this could be a BIG issue lol. It also definitely seems like having one large enough for a Macaw, might be a little hard. I've never seen the size of the carriers in person but can imagine the size! I'm also on the smaller side and I think carrying that sized carrier around might be a little uncomfortable.
The straps on the medium sized carrier looked similar to some regular backpack straps I have worn before. These were a little large for me but not uncomfortable enough that I could wear them for long periods of time. I never thought about it being uncomfortable to wear as I assumed it was the same as a backpack. Hoping that holds true!!
From what I saw online, I would definitely agree that it seems like a good buy for smaller birds!