• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Himalayan salt lamps safe?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:laughin:Why didn't I get you as a sister? Man, I missed out!
If you want a sister you can have mine. :sneaky: Just kidding, I like you. I'd never do that to you! :roflmao:

Besides, we're all AA family. :angel2:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wellp, nobody told me to worry about the birds, so I have one I use all the time. Nothing has happened to anyone yet.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have one (smaller crystals in basket kind) in my bed room, and occasionally turn it on, mainly when I feel like a good relaxing bath, along with LED candles (because I do not want harsh lights) . I would only have it on only for a few hours, and I have not noticed any benefit (it is pretty, though). Interesting to know that it may help with allergies, but I don't live things that I am allergic to (cats and mold). When I use it, my birds are sleeping in their bedroom, the door closed.

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
So what you're saying is to taste it in the store, if it's salty it'll probably help with allergies. But how do you know where to lick so you're trying a different spot than the last customer? :angel4:
Haha...I tasted it after she already bought it, I picked it up and was like hmmm I wonder...is this actually a salt rock? Or is it a crystal? It feels like salt..I just wonder if..........YEP its salt!!!! hehe..I actually knew about them but thought it was a crystal like a big quartz chunk. I didn't realize it was actually a salt rock until I licked it, which then of course I started doing all the research on it after the fact. :D

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've thought about buying a few several times, but I always hesitated because I'm not sure if they are bird-safe. So, I'd rather not chance it since I can find other lamps that are just as pretty without worrying about harmful ions.

Peachey111

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Carrie
I brought one home to cheer up my Lovebird when she had to have antibiotics & wear a cone. She was in a clear plastic tub for recovey. She looked really sad. Spent hours in the corner near a hanging toy, her head bent slightly down. When I placed the Himalayan salt lamp nearby and let her out she responded immediately. She seemed to know what it was. She made way to the lamp, hopping, climbing and sliding, restricted by the cone. She went right up to it, rubbed her beak on it and licked it twice. It was nice to see her acting less depressed. Now that the cone is off, I noticed she flies to it a few times a week and has a couple licks.

If only there were broccoli lamps...

Last edited:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have one and it never occurred to me to be concerned about it around the birds, but it is in my bedroom away from them…and I haven’t used it in a while. I wonder if there is a way to measure the ions produced?

BirdyBee

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anè(she/her)
I wonder if there is a way to measure the ions produced?
It'd be a very expensive process, and probably hard to find someone to do it.