• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Himalayan salt lamps safe?

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I've been researching as much as I can before I turn this on but all I see are mixed reviews. Are these safe for use with my parrot?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
IMHO No

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I think these Himalayan salt lamps are just a bunch of marketing hoopla. Seems to me you’re paying for rock that doesn’t do anything. JMHO

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I have not researched them but my mother-in-law has a huge one that’s simply beautiful.

Wondering what in them would be bad for parrots?

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I have not researched them but my mother-in-law has a huge one that’s simply beautiful.

Wondering what in them would be bad for parrots?
They release negative Ions when heated, which is what the light inside it does, the debate is- are the ions the same as Ionic which is bad for birds or is it a small amount that is safe and not the same as what is in, say Ionic hair blowers.

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I think these Himalayan salt lamps are just a bunch of marketing hoopla. Seems to me you’re paying for rock that doesn’t do anything. JMHO
They aren't marketing, they actually do work when heated. I am a horrible allergy sufferer..to the point where my eyes itch uncontrollably, I snort like a rabid pig, and sneeze over and over, my nose will block up to where I cant breath or it will run like a water faucet when I get an allergy attack. Currently I'm staying at parents since a water pipe broke in my house and my childhood bedroom is SO DUSTY since no one has stayed here in forever. They also have dogs which sadly I'm allergic to as well. My allergies kicked up full blast yesterday so my mom bought me the lamp, I put Pickles in the spare room and turned it on in my room last night and I feel completely fine now and it even smells better when b4 it smelt of dust. I literally cant even believe the difference it makes...normally the max I can stay here is a few days when visiting, even when I bring their hepa filter in here, but the lamp seriously made a difference. I am obsessed and in love with this thing now. Also there are A LOT of fakes out there that aren't real so when purchasing one you have to make sure you get a real and authentic one. I'm literally the cheapest person you will ever meet, so if I felt like it was B.S. I would have been like nope take this trash back but IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE...now I just need to know if its safe around birds because I would like to bring the green chicken back in my room but wont if it is not. I don't want to turn it on near her if it can harm her. It's easy to say not to do it if you don't know but I really would like to hear peoples experience with it that have used it and know if it is safe or not.

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
We have one in the house, always thought it was just a rock with a light bulb inside it to make a pretty lamp :lol:
If it is a real one it will melt if you bring it into the bathroom because it will suck up all the steam since it is salt, Also being curious I licked mine...so yea its literally a HUGE ROCK OF SALT....yuck...YUCK...if you research the benefits you can see all that it does...so it's beneficial and gorgeous. The one my mom got me you can raise and lower the light...I just adore it so I am hoping it is safe, if it is then I can take it back home with me :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was going to buy one but decided not to because they produce negative ions.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I have one, but I'm too afraid to take it out of storage incase my birds try to chew on it and get sick. I wouldn't chance it if I were you.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I use pink Himalayan salt & its tasty & has minerals!

Clean air means clean environment/ clean with white vinegar. Use a good air filter.

lyx

Sprinting down the street
If it is a real one it will melt if you bring it into the bathroom because it will suck up all the steam since it is salt, Also being curious I licked mine...so yea its literally a HUGE ROCK OF SALT....yuck...YUCK...if you research the benefits you can see all that it does...so it's beneficial and gorgeous. The one my mom got me you can raise and lower the light...I just adore it so I am hoping it is safe, if it is then I can take it back home with me :)
Oh I had no idea it had health benefits! It's my housemates and I knew it was an actual Salt rock but I didn't know anything about what they do, that's really interesting actually :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
being curious I licked mine...so yea its literally a HUGE ROCK OF SALT....yuck...YUCK...
:coffeescreen: That sounds like something I would do! :rofl: I am admittedly not the sharpest crayon in the box, but it's good to know I have company!

A friend gave us one for Christmas. I was thinking of putting it under Bug's sleep cage as a nightlight for her because it's not bright enough to disturb us, but that's when I thought the whole "ion" thing was bupkis. If they really work that's great, I just won't put it near the birds. I figure if the ionic air purifiers are bad for them it stands to reason these would be, too. If anyone knows if the two are different I'm curious, but until then I won't.

But if they're awesome for allergies I'll put it by my step daughter's bed. Poor girly has awful allergies & likes nightlights anyway. :) Plus I think this one changes colors so she'll love that. Thanks for the info @CrazyCakes. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
:coffeescreen: That sounds like something I would do! :rofl: I am admittedly not the sharped crayon in the box, but it's good to know I have company!

A friend gave us one for Christmas. I was thinking of putting it under Bug's sleep cage as a nightlight for her because it's not bright enough to disturb us, but that's when I thought the whole "ion" thing was bupkis. If they really work that's great, I just won't put it near the birds. I figure if the ionic air purifiers are bad for them it stands to reason these would be, too. If anyone knows if the two are different I'm curious, but until then I won't.

But if they're awesome for allergies I'll put it by my step daughter's bed. Poor girly has awful allergies & likes nightlights anyway. :) Plus I think this one changes colors so she'll love that. Thanks for the info @CrazyCakes. :thumbsup:

It def works for allergies. I'm going to have to research more about this to see the difference in the two. It's just so many different responses all over the internet I don't know which is accurate or not, since they have become such a big thing now I was hoping more people would know or there would be more credible sources with information. I know they only recently became popular but have been a thing for a while.

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I use pink Himalayan salt & its tasty & has minerals!

Clean air means clean environment/ clean with white vinegar. Use a good air filter.
Yea I totally licked the lamp when my mom handed it to me, instant regret haha

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I had two lovely HSL and found myself not using them very much. All they did is take up space. to my knowledge they are safe with birds. There are even HS rooms people go into and say they feel much better for having done so.

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I was going to buy one but decided not to because they produce negative ions.
Is that the same as what hair blowers produce or is that different? What exactly are negative ions and the effect that it has on parrots? Is it the same as bad stuff that is ionic or is it different. I wanted to research all this but I've been like a maniac trying running around trying to get the house back together lol

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Is that the same as what hair blowers produce or is that different? What exactly are negative ions and the effect that it has on parrots? Is it the same as bad stuff that is ionic or is it different. I wanted to research all this but I've been like a maniac trying running around trying to get the house back together lol
I think the hair dryer issue is that a lot of them are lined with Teflon/PTFE.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Yea I totally licked the lamp when my mom handed it to me, instant regret haha
So what you're saying is to taste it in the store, if it's salty it'll probably help with allergies. But how do you know where to lick so you're trying a different spot than the last customer? :angel4:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
So what you're saying is to taste it in the store, if it's salty it'll probably help with allergies. But how do you know where to lick so you're trying a different spot than the last customer? :angel4:
:laughin:

Why didn't I get you as a sister? Man, I missed out!