• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone have a Vasa Parrot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Yes yes! post pics of all your fids! It sounds like you have quite a family!

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
And who shall I send the pictures to for posting?

If it is easier for you, you may send them to me and I will post them for you.
I'm just dying to see your vasa! :O

Last edited:

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
I've always wanted a vasa. I've never seen one in person. Maybe someday I'll get one. :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There's a female at the local bird shop here. I always feel so horrible when I see her, because ever since maturing, she's looked like utter crap! I mean, I know females go bald, but she's picked up odd habits (probably due to being hormonal) and her feathers just look horrible. She gets a bald head and then the feathers around her shoulders and front appear shredded.

One hen in good feather condition, plus bald head
female greater vasa parrot | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And another that looks like she may be an over-preener?
Controversies and anomalies

I don't think I could get over the fact of having a hen and her going bald...I'd feel as if there was always something wrong with the poor bird when in fact there isn't! Other than that though, ya, they're unique birds!

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I guess the question is...

Do you prefer a balding female?
Or a male with a hemipenis?!

:lol:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I think I could probably handle a male with a hemipenis better! :rofl: At least, they can hide it! :cool1: But oh... the thoughts of an overly hormonal male.... :eek:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I guess the question is...

Do you prefer a balding female?
Or a male with a hemipenis?!

:lol:
I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the balding female. :huh::hehe:
Vasas are such cool birds. :dreamyeyes: I'd love to meet one in person someday.

AngelsMonsters

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angel Morris
I have a Lesser Vasa named Banjo :) They are seriously the coolest birds ever. They have such strange behaviors, like they can change the colors of their feathers without molting, and the female's head loses its feathers and turns yellow during breeding season. I wish I could obtain a Greater Vasa because I really would like to study these guys some more.

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I have a Lesser Vasa named Banjo :) They are seriously the coolest birds ever. They have such strange behaviors, like they can change the colors of their feathers without molting, and the female's head loses its feathers and turns yellow during breeding season. I wish I could obtain a Greater Vasa because I really would like to study these guys some more.

Awesome!
Please post photos! How long have you had them?
What's the difference between the lesser and greater?

AngelsMonsters

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angel Morris
IMG_0328.jpg

Here's a pic of my Banjo :) Sorry he looks so scraggly, he came from a hoarder who neglected him and he has some feathering and nutrition issues that i'm trying to solve.

I've had him for almost 2 years. Lessers are definitely smaller than greaters, and there's a few other small differences, but otherwise they're pretty much the same as Greaters :)

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is very handsome! Thank you for rescuing him!

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
_gvasandlvas.jpg

A greater and lesser vasa together.

The lesser seems to "sing" more than the greater; it's really very, lovely whistling.

AngelsMonsters

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angel Morris

A greater and lesser vasa together.

The lesser seems to "sing" more than the greater; it's really very, lovely whistling.
I know my Lesser LOVES to sing all the time, especially when i'm watching tv and he hears the background music. He doesn't really talk, i've heard him say "Hello", but other than that he just likes to sing and mumble. He also make an "alarm" sound every few hours during the day.

Rick Wilton

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello all,

We have a Vasa parrot named Shadow, she is a very cool parrot. People here have been talking about the males Hemi-junk but the females have a whole other wierd thing going on, where the cloaca pulses and inverts. These are strange birds.

IMG_1273.jpg IMG_1281.jpg

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome Rick! Shadow is beautiful!!!:heart:

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Rick, Welcome!
I'm so glad there's another vasa owner here.
The Greater is my dreambird and I would love to hear anything and everything you have to say about Shadow.

I must admit I've seen his pictures before and he is gorgeous! :3

Rick Wilton

Checking out the neighborhood
Shadow is a very sweet lovable bird, she was actually rather evil when we first got her. All the staff at the pet store (no pet stores shouldn't sell birds) were afraid of her because she'd bite them hard and actually remove hunks of flesh. We bonded with her and she started to "chill out" as soon as she was out of the pet store. We've had her for 6 or 7 years now and is sweet as pie except when it's mating season then all bets are off. She has been known to chase me wife around the house and try and bite her. It's a hormonal mating thing (we guess) but other than that a couple times a year she's great. Talks a lot but almost never heard any yelling or squealing out of her, I'd say she is a quite bird. She thinks she is a dog as she barks, and loves to get "beat up" (rough house) we bury her in a blanket and grab her head and wrestle. She absolutely loves to "wrestle" and can get a bit aggressive when you are sitting on the couch she'll fly over and insist that you fight with her. Oh ya she's full flighted so we take her to the park regularly and fly her with a flight harness and a long dog leash. Mostly she just hangs out on our shoulder, whistling and talking to anyone who walks by. Unless they happen to be a bald or "hair challenged" man than she wants out of there NOW. Even at home in her cage if a bald person comes into view she'll go nuts trying to get out of there even if she's in her cage she flap and flap to the point of hurting herself. She will initiate a game of peak a boo all by herself, she'll duck behind something and say peak a boo then poke her head out then duck again. She is a real goof ball, full of words (not as much as some greys) and character. Oh and she holds a grudge if you make her mad.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
it has been ages since I have last been on here, I was doing a random vasa search and saw this thread. Eve is doing very well, he is now 12 and has fully matured. We have had 3 breeding season in a row without any new changes! It is nice to finally know what to expect each year. He still collect rocks out of the plants for "gifts", hunts, and becomes velroc birdie! All is well in vasa land! However.....ClayBirdie passed away due to lung complications (if that wasn't known) and Poe.....well I'm still angry over that one. So it's just me and Eve now.

Attachments

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome back Kimba!!! So very sorry about Clay Birdie. :hug8: Eve is so handsome!!! I am glad he is doing well!

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
Thanks! It's nice to see other vasa owners on here too! I will have to spend some time catching up, I think it has been 2 year since my last visit here? wow

Status
Not open for further replies.