• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone have a Vasa Parrot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I saw one for the first time in person the other day... I was quite mesmerized! They are so beautiful and prehistoric looking! And I also like how unique they are (with the male having external genitals sort of and that they go bald LOL)

I'm curious how they are as pets, and to see pics! The female I saw was a breeder, so she was at the back of the flight looking at my warily.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ming, there use to be a member here with one named Eve. It was a male. Here is her site:
http://kawaldie.googlepages.com/

I have a friend with a Greater Vasa. They truly are cool birds and very large!

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Don't have one yet, but...one day. :3

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Don't have one yet, but...one day. :3
Yes I would like one too! But i don't know anyone who has one. The breeder I went to has a pair but they've never had fertile eggs.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
if I could have a Greater Vasa,
I'd have 100 haha (well, not literally).
They remind me of Harvey but with a slender look ('cause they remind me of chickens, and he gets called a chicken, plus the oversized beak etc),

So...come on...bring on the pics :dance4:

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
OH MY GOD,
THEY DO LOOK LIKE A CHOCOBO

[video=youtube;soY4lZ23Ci8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soY4lZ23Ci8&feature=related[/video]

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
They are SO cute! I love the cute sounds that one makes in the video!! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :heart:

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
I honestly would consider a Vasa...It was one of the species I was looking into for my search...but I thought maybe they'd be a little too hyper for our first bird...Maybe our second..;)

crayola

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ally
i bird sat a vasa one summer a few years ago. she was one of the smartest birds i've ever encountered. she was hand shy but loved attention. she could wistle so many things and would talk to her self all day long about random nothing. i def have these on my dream birds to have

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Yes, I now have a Greater Vasa. I almost got one 10 years ago but passed. They can be a little shy are taken as being independent. They are not monogamous birds. They generally get along with most members of the family. They LOVE !!!!!!!!!! to eat....even more than a caique! To me they play like a conure and some of their mannerisms remind me of a conure. They are not large birds. The have a smallish head and are slim and long. Size is about citron size or lsc but not as stocky.

But one of their more endearing traits is their call. It's more of a chortle. I have never heard Petosky yell. He just has the cutest vocalizations. Since he was 1 year old when I got him he is not quite as hand tamed as other birds. But he does step up and loves sitting with me. I can bribe him with food. Since he is in quarantine I have not had him with other birds yet.

This was the last bird on my wish list. I had told a couple of people here in Texas where there were two Greater Vasa's. I had been on a waiting list for at least two years. My Scarlet weaned and was doing well so I checked on the Vasa's. They were still available so I decided to complete my flock

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
OH gosh, I think I am in love.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Forgot to mention they love bathes. Sun bathes, water bathes, dirt bathes! I have to keep 2 water dishes for mine as he totally empties one by the time I get home from work.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran

Yes I would like one too! But i don't know anyone who has one. The breeder I went to has a pair but they've never had fertile eggs.
I know what you mean.
I'm on a few waiting lists, but at least two of them don't have prolific breeders.
Just gotta hope, anyway. :D

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OH MY GOD,
THEY DO LOOK LIKE A CHOCOBO

[video=youtube;soY4lZ23Ci8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soY4lZ23Ci8&feature=related[/video]
Oh, wow, that was cute :heart::D

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy

Oh, wow, that was cute :heart::D
Aw, there is already one with that name.

My little one is named Petosky after the petosky stones found along the shore of Lake Michigan by Sleeping Bear sandunes. Prehistoric stones to go with the prehistoric bird! I sit here watching the colors of the feathers. Parts look almost irradescent dark green. The body color turns dark black while the wings turn a light grey. It just depends on the light. This reminds me of greys...colors of the feathers change depending on the light and positioning of the feathers.

Gosh, I am in love with this guy. :o:

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
Aw, there is already one with that name.

My little one is named Petosky after the petosky stones found along the shore of Lake Michigan by Sleeping Bear sandunes. Prehistoric stones to go with the prehistoric bird! I sit here watching the colors of the feathers. Parts look almost irradescent dark green. The body color turns dark black while the wings turn a light grey. It just depends on the light. This reminds me of greys...colors of the feathers change depending on the light and positioning of the feathers.

Gosh, I am in love with this guy. :o:
Show us pics so we can be in love with him too!! :D

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
And who shall I send the pictures to for posting?
You don't have to send them to anyone. You can either upload them directly to the forum/thread or you can use an public uploader like Tinypic, Flickr, or Photobucket and post it through link. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.