• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone else getting the spring hormonal time right now?

KJsChicken

Moving in
Real Name
Doom
Hi I'm still relatively new to bird ownership, and my cockatiel has been hormonal lately. I know theres a period in the spring where birds go a little breeding crazy, so is anyone else experiencing that right now? It feels very early.

My bird has also taken a liking to my mom. You know- LIKE LIKE. And she didnt eat much today or yesterday, even treats, and isnt so interested in training, or anything at all, just screaming. It feels very weird, like she's a different bird suddenly.

So we're being extra careful with touching. Not touching the back and sides of parrots are important to me and I did just read up more on breaking. She hasnt been biting much or territorial, just mating with a lot.

Is this hormonal season??
Does it hit as hard as this for others?
Any ways to keep stress levels down? I'm afraid she'll start plucking or just become upset.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Not so far with my tiel, Tteok, although his attitude the last week has been… difficult, we’ll call it :roflmao: He’s been pushing his luck every way he knows how, being extra bitey and just rude.

My too, Isadora? I’m beginning to think it’s coming. She’s been sassier than normal.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Not eating would worry me some. Be watching make sure isn't sick.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Not sure where you are but I have had a few bird hormones taking over my house just lately...

Macaw is (again) angry and off tap, Cocky is a bit moody and a tad sneakier and snappier than usual and Budgie is just busy whispering and screaming sweet bird words to anything shiny or interesting and mis- using his perches lol. All have been wood chipping like mad. Only ever noticed the odd change in interest in food from my macaw, the other two do not seem to get focussed enough on killing me that it affects their appetite.

KJsChicken

Moving in
Real Name
Doom
Hi, sorry for cluttering up the forum but I'm almost sure she may be laying eggs actually. Very little droppings, moody, tail fanning, and had a lot of mating behaviors this week and last week. The daylight hours have drastically changed here too. I could definitely be wrong about the eggs and we'll be keeping track of her stress and eating.

However, I'm thinking far ahead and If she does lay in the next day, is there anything to look out for? I know to look for egg binding, and not touching the eggs, but is there anything else I should look for in these beginning stages of laying?

Many questions, my apologies, but I massively appreciate all the replies ♥

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hi, sorry for cluttering up the forum but I'm almost sure she may be laying eggs actually. Very little droppings, moody, tail fanning, and had a lot of mating behaviors this week and last week. The daylight hours have drastically changed here too. I could definitely be wrong about the eggs and we'll be keeping track of her stress and eating.

However, I'm thinking far ahead and If she does lay in the next day, is there anything to look out for? I know to look for egg binding, and not touching the eggs, but is there anything else I should look for in these beginning stages of laying?

Many questions, my apologies, but I massively appreciate all the replies ♥
Don't be sorry at all!

@Zara might be able to give you some support and tips

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
is there anything to look out for? I know to look for egg binding, and not touching the eggs, but is there anything else I should look for in these beginning stages of laying?
Th¡s is is a good article to read through RE egg complications;

Does your bird eat pellets? If not, you may want to talk to your vet about whether a supplement would benefit her.

Offering more calcium rich foods can also help, they must be given alongside access to unfiltered sunshine (or while your bird eats pellets containing vit D3).

Remember a healthy, active, flighted bird has a lesser chance of complications, so keep leaving her door open so she can have a fly and excersize her wings (but never force her).

As for the hormonal season question, I have found the local weather can also play a part, when there´s freak heat or cold, it can affect my birds perception of season.
My lovebird hen laid an egg last week - I rotated the cage when cleaning it and it knocked her cycle on the head, so that´s that, easy enough.

Maybe some with cockatiel hens could be more specific with help and thoughts :)
@Tiel Feathers @Birdbabe

KJsChicken

Moving in
Real Name
Doom
Th¡s is is a good article to read through RE egg complications;

Does your bird eat pellets? If not, you may want to talk to your vet about whether a supplement would benefit her.

Offering more calcium rich foods can also help, they must be given alongside access to unfiltered sunshine (or while your bird eats pellets containing vit D3).

Remember a healthy, active, flighted bird has a lesser chance of complications, so keep leaving her door open so she can have a fly and excersize her wings (but never force her).

As for the hormonal season question, I have found the local weather can also play a part, when there´s freak heat or cold, it can affect my birds perception of season.
My lovebird hen laid an egg last week - I rotated the cage when cleaning it and it knocked her cycle on the head, so that´s that, easy enough.

Maybe some with cockatiel hens could be more specific with help and thoughts :)
@Tiel Feathers @Birdbabe
Thank you very much! Yes she is on pellets and eats a good amount of cuttlebone. Zelda is flighted and is a very strong flyer, so I'm glad that will reduce complications. Rearranging the cage sounds like a great idea, I will plan to do that today!