• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anybody own a Hahns Macaw...?

Percy&Ivan

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Bump. Good luck though!

Barnaby Rose

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barnaby
Ok do a you tube search on Hahns macaw screaming. That will give you a very good idea of volume and what it sounds like. Don't get me wrong. I love Guiseppe and I would gladly get another Hahnsie if I had the time, money and space.
That was a great idea, I just did and actually I really do think I could live with that. It may be the pitch, may be the volume itself or maybe the 'tone' or etc, but those screams did not bother me HALF as much as say a Sun, or a cockatoo, even a full blown Macaw would. In my experience anyway

Barnaby Rose

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barnaby
I think a large part of it is your personal tolerance. My hahns is by far the quietest bird I own. She seems downright silent and I'm not bothered by her vocalizations at all. BUT I live with a big mac. So a jumbo jet wouldn't seem all that noisy to me either. My hahns, who I think of as my quiet bird, might feel very loud to another household.
Interesting.. So your big macaw aside.. Would you still consider your Hahns, individually, to be 'quiet'..? Again, the vocalizations do NOT bother me at all. Even the 'warning calls' are absolutely to be expected, and are not going to be a deal breaker. I am looking to avoid the 'screaming fits' and the constant yelling. My buddy has a Cockatoo, and I swear to god I wouldn't last one day in his house I would kill myself! Also, how old is yours, and is he/she male or female?

Barnaby Rose

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barnaby
Like alcmene says, individual noise tolerance will have a lot to do with how this pans out.

@Barnaby Rose. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
I most definitely will. I am constantly researching and learning and I will NEVER make a spontaneous, or uneducated decision. Hopefully my personal tolerance of noise is a little higher than I think it is!

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
There's no such thing as "your big macaw aside." Every experience we have is relative to all of our other collective experiences. She seems quiet to me, but I fully realize that between birds and kids, my household is very noisy.

She does chatter throughout the day. She does squawk multiple times a day. I can hear her from every room of my house (including the garage) when she sounds off. She doesn't like to be alone and contact calls incessantly if either my sun or a person isn't in the same room with her.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I know what you mean about a cockatoo scream. One sounded off while sitting next to me in the AV waiting room. I knew then that I'd never be able to live with a Too. IMO, my Sun and Hahns just cannot compete with a Too when it comes to volume.

doodadz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leilani
The screaming... It is all relative. My severe's are the most cage aggressive of all of my bunch. I know, not the same, but for me, just a different branch of the same tree. I have had more blood drawn from my severe than any of the others. I have had crushing injuries that are much worse from the other, larger birds but in the end, away from the cage, they are very sweet.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've read a bit in the last few days that Hanhns can be a bit bitey. Too soon to tell I guess, but so far 4 month old Hannah is super sweet without even a single warning bite.

I know that might change - but I'm hoping not.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
We have Hahns, he will be 4 this summer. He does his usually daily squeaking time in the mornings and later in the day. when we have visitors though he can be extremely loud. He either likes or does not the person. If he doesn't he gets ear piercing loud. And I usually have to put a cover over his cage to settle him down.