• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another Full-Spectrum Lighting Question Thread

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Over several websites and even more threads I've gathered several questions about full-spectrum lighting as winter nears. I know that reptile heat/UVB lamps have different parameters that aren't optimized for indoor birds so I'm rethinking where I'm going to buy my birb bulbs. I was thinking about getting the FeatherBrite 20 watt bulb, because it seems to be the best on the market - although it's a bit higher in watts than what most people would recommend apparently? But I'm confused on a couple of detail-oriented things.

What does it mean when someone (who's reviewing the product) says that the color range temperature is too high for indoor birds?
What are the specifics of a "good" bird bulb?
What kinds of lamps can the bulb be used in? Is there a certain one I need to buy?
How far away should the lamp be installed above the cage?
How often should the birds be exposed to the full-spectrum lamp? Is there a point where it's too much, or is it an all the time kind of thing?

I appreciate all of the feedback! :)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I use the featherbrite dome cage top light.
image.gif
Easy snap on and off for removal.
You can find product details on the Featherbrite site.
Also you can do a search in the forum for members comments on full spectrum lighting.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I have the same lamp as @WendyN and I'm happy with it and the bulb. I think too high of a color means it's too warm of a light, like too yellow, you want a mid range, cooler light. Also, my vet suggested just a little bit of light in the middle of the day is all that's needed. I researched all the specs before I purchased my lights, but I can't remember it all now!:wacky:

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm curious about this as well as we currently just have fluorescent ones above their cages

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
This lght makes my birds happy.

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Where is the best place to get full spectrum light bulbs? I am in ON Canada

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Thank you all for your responses, and suggestions! I found that same light on Amazon for pretty cheap, so I think I'll order it closer to Christmas when fall turns more towards winter!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
What does it mean when someone (who's reviewing the product) says that the color range temperature is too high for indoor birds?
I actually haven't seen anyone ask this question... but the Kelvin rating should be about 5,000k to 6,500k.

What are the specifics of a "good" bird bulb?

5,000 - 6,500 Kelvin Rating
94+ CRI preferred

What kinds of lamps can the bulb be used in? Is there a certain one I need to buy?

Depends on the bulb you get. If you get the screw in type, you don't need any special type of lamp for it.

If you get a tube light, like the one below, then go with a shop light (hopefully one that uses an electronic ballast?) which can be found for pretty cheap online or in some hardware stores. It would be about $20, give or take, on the cheap end, for the shop light (no bulbs included)

Philips 209056 F32T8/TL950 Straight T8 Fluorescent Tube Light Bulb - - Amazon.com

How far away should the lamp be installed above the cage?

About 12-16 inches away from the top perch is ideal.

How often should the birds be exposed to the full-spectrum lamp? Is there a point where it's too much, or is it an all the time kind of thing?

There's no one answer here. Birds receive "full spectrum" lighting outside during the entire day, unless it's overcast... so you may hear anywhere from 30 minutes to 12-14 hours. Even when they are in the shade, the rays from the sun still bounce around and can still get to them.

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
@Monica Thank you for the detailed response! (I really like when you answer my questions because you're thorough :D)
I've been doing some more research and on another bird type forum, they say that budgies - since they're so small - should only get between 15 and 45 minutes of exposure to UVB lighting.
This seems like too little for me, so I was wondering if there's any other way for me to know when it's too much?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My vet also said just a very little bit a day is all you need.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
As long as the bulb doesn't cause any sun burn like effects (which the Zoomed ones can), I'm not sure there is any "too much" as long as the light isn't on for longer than 12 hours.

I wont even say that these bulbs are beneficial in the sense that they do help the bird absorb more vitamin D, but it can result in more active birds.

Get a timer for the light, so it can come on or off without you having to be around and you're set!

Just thinking... might be worth reading some older threads? Some of the links in them are dead now, but there's still a lot of great advice in them! :)

Does everyone here have full spectrum lighting for your grey? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
full spectrum lighting? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Full spectrum lighting..what set up do you have? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Parrot Hotel & Shop

Hit the Road
Real Name
Stephanie
Hi all,

Just thought I would chime in here as I do carry the Featherbrite lights. They are the best ones on the market as they are specific to birds. The AvianSun brand is made by a reptile company and from what I've read, aren't as good although I do have customers that have requested that one.

I carry the overhead featherbrite fixtures, plus the separate bulbs that fit into regular sockets. I also just got in the featherbrite moon lighting for birds with night frights - it's a blue calming colour. Really cool!

Avian Lighting - Parrot Supplies l The Parrot Shop

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
As long as the bulb doesn't cause any sun burn like effects (which the Zoomed ones can), I'm not sure there is any "too much" as long as the light isn't on for longer than 12 hours.
I wont even say that these bulbs are beneficial in the sense that they do help the bird absorb more vitamin D, but it can result in more active birds.
Get a timer for the light, so it can come on or off without you having to be around and you're set!
Just thinking... might be worth reading some older threads? Some of the links in them are dead now, but there's still a lot of great advice in them! :)

Does everyone here have full spectrum lighting for your grey? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
full spectrum lighting? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Full spectrum lighting..what set up do you have? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Those would be super helpful to read, thank you! I wasn't really aware of what UVB lighting does for most budgies, but since it's cold outside I can't take them outside safely like I usually do and I don't want them to miss out on that. Plus I wouldn't mind more active peepers! :p I love when they're goofballs and are having a great time, so this can only be beneficial!
The timer is a fantastic idea, especially since I'm not home 100% of the time! I'll look into getting one of those!

Hi all,
Just thought I would chime in here as I do carry the Featherbrite lights. They are the best ones on the market as they are specific to birds. The AvianSun brand is made by a reptile company and from what I've read, aren't as good although I do have customers that have requested that one.
I carry the overhead featherbrite fixtures, plus the separate bulbs that fit into regular sockets. I also just got in the featherbrite moon lighting for birds with night frights - it's a blue calming colour. Really cool!

Avian Lighting - Parrot Supplies l The Parrot Shop

Featehrbrite are very good I hear, and their reviews on Amazon are awesome! I might have to message you directly when I get enough money so I can order those and that moon lighting - that sounds awesome!:omg:

Parrot Hotel & Shop

Hit the Road
Real Name
Stephanie

Those would be super helpful to read, thank you! I wasn't really aware of what UVB lighting does for most budgies, but since it's cold outside I can't take them outside safely like I usually do and I don't want them to miss out on that. Plus I wouldn't mind more active peepers! :p I love when they're goofballs and are having a great time, so this can only be beneficial!
The timer is a fantastic idea, especially since I'm not home 100% of the time! I'll look into getting one of those!

Featehrbrite are very good I hear, and their reviews on Amazon are awesome! I might have to message you directly when I get enough money so I can order those and that moon lighting - that sounds awesome!:omg:
yes for sure. We put them in the bird room the other night and they are pretty cool :)