• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does everyone here have full spectrum lighting for your grey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I need help with this. I try to take him outside at least once a day for some sunlight but with the days getting shorter and colder, it's getting more and more difficult. Just wondering what everyone else does.

Thanks

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I feed fortified pellets!;)

Parront

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Annrose
I have to light sources for my birds. One is a ceiling hung over head with 2 tube lights, about 26" long.
That hangs over the flight cage.
The other is a floor stand that has a full spectrum bulb. That one is cool cause I can move it where ever I need/want it.

I learned from watching the birds years ago, that the lights really make a difference in their attitudes, health etc.
Our house only gets direct sun light an hour or so aday, and only in one spot. The Birds just can't get what they need.

When we first bought the ceiling light...it was like the birds "woke" up. Their activity level increased, they seemed better emotionally...my list goes on and on.

Feather Mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gretchen
Both my birds have a full spectrum light on over their cage for 6 hours a day. It's been so gloomy and rainy here lately, I'm starting to think maybe I need one for myself too!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Both my birds have a full spectrum light on over their cage for 6 hours a day. It's been so gloomy and rainy here lately, I'm starting to think maybe I need one for myself too!
Same here on both! They have it over their cages for 6 hours a day and yes, I think I need one, too:)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I don't and have never used it. Although I am curious to see how many more people do use it.

Kayaker

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
George
I have replaced all my bulbs with the small curly full spectrum lights in all the birds rooms. I do think it helps as I no longer have pluckers and everyone's feathers just look better.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I have been using them since they became available and would NOT be without them! Grey's especially will benefit from the full spectrum lighting!
I have also brought back near to death(from Metabolic bone disease)Iguanas with diet and proper full spectrum lighting.:hug8::hug8::hug8:

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
I do not have a grey but three cockatiels and I use full spectrum lighting and I love it! My birds seem to be more active ever since I set it up! :)

sasha

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I have to light sources for my birds. One is a ceiling hung over head with 2 tube lights, about 26" long.
That hangs over the flight cage.
The other is a floor stand that has a full spectrum bulb. That one is cool cause I can move it where ever I need/want it.

I learned from watching the birds years ago, that the lights really make a difference in their attitudes, health etc.
Our house only gets direct sun light an hour or so aday, and only in one spot. The Birds just can't get what they need.

When we first bought the ceiling light...it was like the birds "woke" up. Their activity level increased, they seemed better emotionally...my list goes on and on.
Where did you get your floor lamp? That sounds ideal.

Thanks everyone!

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I feed fortified pellets!;)
It's my understanding that they need the full spectrum light in order to metabolize certain of the nutrients that they ingest, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable can address that.

According to my CAV, parrots need full spectrum lighting, and light at levels considerably more intense than what is normally found in a home environment, in order to be able to see to anything resembling their sight capacity (which, BTW, is much greater than ours - they see colors that we're not capable of seeing, if they have the appropriate light). So, if they don't have sufficiently bright full spectrum light available, it's akin to keeping a human being confined in an area where the lighting is so dim that he can't distinguish colors.

azcowgirl

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
kathy
we have put full spectrum lighting in our livingroom and our dinning room, where our birds are, and it makes a world of a difference, it also is good for all my plants we have, and i do believe the birds benefit from it.

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
I had read somewhere (I can't remember where now) that the FSL bulbs that you can use in your main light do not work effectively and that it has to be a more direct light. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I use these types of bulbs but if they aren't working then I should get a lamp or other type of light that will be more direct.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
There used to be some concern that parrots could perceive a flicker effect given off by the full spectrum light bulbs. It would be akin to living with a strobe light going all the time. Anyone know if this is the case?

Also, what brand of FSB are you guys using? It gets very confusing reading the different recommendations. :confused:

Parront

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Annrose
Where did you get your floor lamp? That sounds ideal.

Thanks everyone!
I got our's years ago it is called a Avian Sun Deluxe Floor Lamp. I do not remember exactly where I got ours, but I just checked on line, and they have come WAY down on pricing since I got ours.

The ceiling one I got at Menards, and I love it too.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Rosie loves sitting under the FS light. She sits very still and almost falls asleep.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I use the FeatherBrite bulbs. Make sure whatever you buy has UVA and UVB rays.

And yes, FS lighting is not only necessary for vitamin D to process calcium, but also for their eyesight as birds can see in the UV spectrum.

sasha

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Can I just buy a floor lamp from Walmart and then purchase an avian bulb for it? Sorry for all of the questions. I am really confused.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Can I just buy a floor lamp from Walmart and then purchase an avian bulb for it? Sorry for all of the questions. I am really confused.
That's what I'm using right now for 2 of my cages with a clip light on the third. I had 3 clip lights but my oldest2 fell apart within 3 days of each other. They did last 6 or 7 years though.

I bought this at Walmart in the spring. It has a sturdy, heavy base and the 3 lamps can swivel. Most floor lamps aren't taller than the cages though so I made a wood box to set it on.

Mainstays 64'' Track Tree Floor Lamp, Black: Decor : Walmart.com

It has cheap plastic shades but it's not as ugly as I expected, lol! The rest of it is metal and I was surprised to get adjustable lamps and a heavy base for that price.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I got our's years ago it is called a Avian Sun Deluxe Floor Lamp. I do not remember exactly where I got ours, but I just checked on line, and they have come WAY down on pricing since I got ours.

The ceiling one I got at Menards, and I love it too.
I also have two of the Avian Sun Deluxe Floor Lamps - one for each cage (actually I tell a fib - I now have three since a friend with two Greys gave me his as they were terrified of it). It won't help to tell you where I got them from as I live in the UK, but you could Google. I am still unsure as to their effectiveness since there is talk that they are useless - different people have taken UVB readings of even the most highly recommended "full spectrum" avian lamps with solar meters only to find the output is zero unless held at less than an inch away (see Files on the Feeding Feathers group). I use them only because the light is white and doesn't strobe to avian eyes like normal lights do.

Status
Not open for further replies.