• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

An adult budgie and a baby Lovebird. Compatible?

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Too much of a risk. There lovebird's beak is way bigger than a budgie's. If they even got along 99.9% of the time, is the single incident and you get a seriously injured or potentially dead budgie. Not a chance I would take. Also offer is seen that the bigger bird is not the aggressor, but the tiny budgie tries to bully the bigger bird and then ends up injured.
Welcome to the Avenue :)

shallow

Moving in
Too much of a risk. There lovebird's beak is way bigger than a budgie's. If they even got along 99.9% of the time, is the single incident and you get a seriously injured or potentially dead budgie. Not a chance I would take. Also offer is seen that the bigger bird is not the aggressor, but the tiny budgie tries to bully the bigger bird and then ends up injured.
Welcome to the Avenue :)
Ty for the warm welcome. But I meant baby lovebird. Like total baby, 10-20 days old. With an adult Budgies. So I don't think the baby will harm budgies? I often hear Budgies are really friendly birds so if I keep a baby lovebird and an adult budgie together, maybe they can be good friends?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I often hear Budgies are really friendly birds
Yes they usually are.
But lovebirds can be nasty, even to friendly birds.

so if I keep a baby lovebird and an adult budgie together, maybe they can be good friends?
Babies grow up.

Lovebirds should be housed 1 bird per cage, or one bonded pair per cage.

They may still enjoy each others company from separate cages though :)

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
In the same cage, or the same room? It's never advisable to mix species in a single cage, regardless of age. Having another bird in the room can be welcome company, but interactions need to be supervised and separate out-of-cage time may be necessary.

shallow

Moving in
I meant same cage. I thought if the baby grows up with the Budgie around, it will be friends with him lol. I will keep them in separate cage but will let them meet whenever I'm home. Thanks for the advices

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Unfortunately, many parrot species are not compatible with each other, even if they are raised together from very young. It only takes a moment for a parrot to bite and if it is a biting a smaller bird, the result can be a serious injury.

Budgies are friendly and sociable bird, but they are also pushy and inquisitive. They can annoy larger parrots and might not realize they are in danger until it is too late.

Lovebirds are great little birds, but they are known to be rather bitey when they are displeased and their bite is bigger and stronger than a budgie's. As a baby, your lovie might be able to tolerate your budgie, but when it grows up, it could decide it has had enough. There is a real risk that your budgie could get hurt.

Definitely don't keep them in the same cage. And be very careful to always monitor their interactions so you can separate them if there are any signs of trouble brewing. You might not get much warning ... or any ... before something bad happens.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:welcome2:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
10 to 20 day old baby needs warmth. Don't put him in with a flock of budgies they might hurt the baby as it so small now. They may not accept it even if its so young & a lovebird that young needs to be in a brooder & be handfed or with its parents.

:welcometrain: