• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive Lovebird

scirensnow

Sitting on the front steps
Hello everyone, I have a 9 month female lovebird who has progressively gotten more and more aggressive and bitey over the 3 months I’ve had her. I’ve tried to work on trying to get her to step up but she bites my finger or does these weird head movements which to me seem like a sign to step away and let her cool off. She has a male mate who is also 9 months and he is the complete opposite, very kind and never bites. I just want to be able to train her to step up and do recall training at least. She’s very active out of the cage and loves spending time with her mate. I can occasionally give her scratches when she’s in the right mood but it’s usually me trying to dodge her beak. Does anyone have any tips for a very territorial and aggressive female lovebird? I just want to bond with her and do what I can but I feel so stuck.. attached is a picture of both of my lovies just for cuteness sake. Any advice would be helpful!!!

Attachments

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara will be able to helpn

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi gorgeous lovebirds I am new to lovebirds I’ve read a lot that females can be aggressive @Zara brillant hopefully she will be along to help soon
Is she still aggressive out of her cage ?

scirensnow

Hi gorgeous lovebirds I am new to lovebirds I’ve read a lot that females can be aggressive @Zara brillant hopefully she will be along to help soon
Is she still aggressive out of her cage ?
Yes, she’s aggressive out of her cage and in her cage.

scirensnow

Does anyone have any ideas? I’m really desperate and want to help this little girl…. :(

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
What do u do when she bites u ?
I am new to all this but if pico bites I say no bite in a firm voice and he’s got it but does still niddle or bite if I am not paying him attention do you give her treats like millet from ur hand ? Maybe u could hold a foot toy with treats in like the woven balls filled with millet or finger traps with millet in and give her loads of praise when she’s on ur hand playing with that and no attention say no bite if she bites u I know females can be cage aggressive especially when it’s breeding season were they handfed or parent raised ? Hopefully @Zara will be here soon as she as females I only have a baby n male hoping my baby a male but got a feeling female

scirensnow

What do u do when she bites u ?
I am new to all this but if pico bites I say no bite in a firm voice and he’s got it but does still niddle or bite if I am not paying him attention do you give her treats like millet from ur hand ? Maybe u could hold a foot toy with treats in like the woven balls filled with millet or finger traps with millet in and give her loads of praise when she’s on ur hand playing with that and no attention say no bite if she bites u I know females can be cage aggressive especially when it’s breeding season were they handfed or parent raised ? Hopefully @Zara will be here soon as she as females I only have a baby n male hoping my baby a male but got a feeling female
I generally say no in a firm voice and if she does it again I put her back in her cage. She won’t take treats from my hand, she just goes straight for my fingers. /: She was hand fed.