• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive Conure I need help

Kathleeny320

Moving in
All this info makes me so glad I'm a member here.

I adopted my second green cheek conure from a home where he was terrified of the other very aggressive bird and he became cage bound. All was going well and he has overcome many of his issues. He is still somewhat attached to his cage, but he also enjoys being out and about around our house with our other green cheek. They get along very well, and our original green cheek is kind of in love with him!, but he does not seem to return the love and I do not encourage that. They are caged separately but next to each other in our living room and never allowed in enclosed dark spaces

Recently though, as in maybe the last month, his aggressiveness has sky rocketed. He never ever really bit, only nipped slightly when he did not like something. However, now he bites with the intent to hurt and has drawn blood. His anger started out more towards my husband, but now is 100% toward me and to a much greater level. I am very aware when he is in an aggravated state (i.e. He fluffs his head & neck) and I do not force him to do things, I avoid touching him because he has never been one for scritches or lots of touch unless it's our other bird doing it. But now he actually seeks me out to hurt me. I was sitting on our couch and had both birds looking out the window next to it and he came over to me unprovoked and bit my face. He also flys at me/after me to continue attacking at times and I am at a total loss as to why. I avoid allowing him on my shoulder because I cannot trust him at this time and I have to use a perch to get him out/in his cage. He even aggressively tries to bite me through his cage bars when I am covering him up at night and uncovering him in the morning.

Our overall routine has stayed the same, we get up, have meals, play, go to bed, just like normal. I am the one who cleans cages, changes food/water, wakes them up and puts them to bed. I have not changed anything about my personal physical appearance and I wear the same bird clothes most of the time when I'm with them. The one thing I have changed somewhat recently was I swapped his happy hut out for a similar bed made of a different less fluffy material for safety purposes.

He does have moments of non-anger towards me, but they are in fact moments. I love him so dearly, and re-homing him is not an option I would ever consider. I am determined to get through this! But if anyone who has experienced these issues has had success identifying the cause of the anger, I'd love to hear!

Also, is it possible for them to learn this behavior from other aggressive birds? Some of his behavior is similar to that of the bird he was with in his last home.

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@Kathleeny320 To a lesser or greater extent, birds can indeed learn behaviors from other birds.

My suggestion, since he is going towards you and your husband and biting, is to cage him. Do not let him out.

Then, work on target training through the cage bars. Learn how to give him rewards without getting bitten. Establish good behavior *in* the cage, and once he's good at it, then try opening the door and targeting through the door, with him still in the cage. Once he's good at this, then do target training on the outside of the cage. Then away from the cage.

Also, try to teach some new behaviors to him that you can cue him to do so as to avoid the aggressive behavior. Things like playing with a ball (if he's holding a ball, he can't bite! ;) ), chasing a ball, or any other behaviors. Be sure to reward, reward, reward any desired behaviors!

If he's trying to bite when you cover him at night, would it be possible to stop covering him?

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I liked rocky birds reply. Can't find anything I disagree there. It all seems to work that way with cheeky.

Kathleeny320

Moving in
@Kathleeny320 To a lesser or greater extent, birds can indeed learn behaviors from other birds.

My suggestion, since he is going towards you and your husband and biting, is to cage him. Do not let him out.

Then, work on target training through the cage bars. Learn how to give him rewards without getting bitten. Establish good behavior *in* the cage, and once he's good at it, then try opening the door and targeting through the door, with him still in the cage. Once he's good at this, then do target training on the outside of the cage. Then away from the cage.

Also, try to teach some new behaviors to him that you can cue him to do so as to avoid the aggressive behavior. Things like playing with a ball (if he's holding a ball, he can't bite! ;) ), chasing a ball, or any other behaviors. Be sure to reward, reward, reward any desired behaviors!

If he's trying to bite when you cover him at night, would it be possible to stop covering him?
Definitely looking into the clicker training! And very strangely the past 2 days Alfie (the angry bird) has been acting more like himself and hasn't bitten or tried to attack me. I'm going to test the theory this afternoon that he may have decided he now hates my white t-shirt, because I changed and have been wearing a navy blue one these past 2 days without feeling his vengeance. Haha!

He is still fluffed and obviously irritated in the mornings when I'm getting him uncovered and when I'm covering him in the evening. I'll test the not covering and see how he responds.

I appreciate the help!