• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive Adopted Quaker

LydiaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
I adopted Eddie about a year and a half ago and I don't know his background. Any time I get too close to him, he starts hissing and trying to bite me. He always seems really comfortable around me, but when I try to handle him, he starts going a little crazy. Usually, Eddie and I just sit together and I'll give him some toys to play with, talk to him, and we'll eat some vegetables together. He's always very content, fluffed up and chatty. The second I get my hand (or anything really) close to him, he starts hissing and trying to bite whatever is near him. I never yell at him and I take care of him like he's my actual child.

Is there anything I can do to stop Eddie's aggressive behavior, or could he just be like this due to potential past trauma? I don't mind if he never becomes a cuddly bird, I just want him to be more comfortable with handling.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
I’m not on the up and up with Quakers but I do understand they are not always the cuddly type to begin with.

It definitely sounds like he has PTSD since the reaction is to anything that goes near him that he doesn’t initiate.

So that’s your key really to turn the lock. You may be successful and you may not. With skittish birds we want them to concentrate on something other than what they are afraid of so they can desensitize.

So if you wanted to use a T-stick, lay it down close to approximate place he will be when you give him toys and treats. Then do as normal. Give him a toy and maybe drape one or two of his most favorite toys on the T-stick (Prepping the toys & stick should be prior to doing the activity. Don’t let him watch you as we don’t want him to think it’s “part of you” yet) Then you sit where you normally do and chat him up. Get him interested in the toy you have so he focuses on toys and hopefully goes to get the other toys regardless of the stick. Or toss a couple of his favorite treats near it as well as leave a toy on it. Anything that gets him consistently near it or on it so he get used to it and know it won’t hurt him. It may take days or weeks or months before he no longer considers it a threat but eventually he will. Once that happens, set everything up but put the stick with hand’s reach but far enough away he doesn’t consider it an extension of you. Now you can go back to letting him watch you hand him the toys and food. I would place the food and toys right next to the stick. Hopefully by the time he’s comfortable with getting toys and food near you and the stick, he’ll be able to see it as extension of you but one that is harmless.

The other thing you can do if you haven’t is target training. It is very useful because you can do it while he’s caged. So he’s in his safe space and you aren’t. That should give him the peace of mind to learn.

It might also speed up the process of acclimation outside of the cage. Once he trusts you enough that he’s following every order inside the cage, you may have enough currency for him to go where you direct him outside of his cage.

I’m sorry you’re having such a rough go of it, but you took the first step and gave the little guy a second chance at a forever home. If neither of the above ideals work, maybe someone else will step in with other suggestions. Best of luck to you!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
He may never be cuddy or comfortable with handling. Sometimes you just have to accept them for the cute and opinionated grumps that they are. Has he always been that way and do you know how old he is? It might just be hormones exasperating the issue.

Also just want to add that Blu, my quaker, is super cuddly most days and as cute as it is, I have to say that it's much easier to have a bird who keeps their distance.

LydiaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
He may never be cuddy or comfortable with handling. Sometimes you just have to accept them for the cute and opinionated grumps that they are. Has he always been that way and do you know how old he is? It might just be hormones exasperating the issue.

Also just want to add that Blu, my quaker, is super cuddly most days and as cute as it is, I have to say that it's much easier to have a bird who keeps their distance.
I'm not sure how old he is, but he's an adult male and that's all I really know. He's always like this, so I don't think its necessarily hormones. I'm okay with him being the way he is, but I just wanted to see if there was any way I could make him more comfortable. It seems like I've kind of tried everything though lol. Maybe he is just a grumpy lil guy.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm not sure how old he is, but he's an adult male and that's all I really know. He's always like this, so I don't think its necessarily hormones. I'm okay with him being the way he is, but I just wanted to see if there was any way I could make him more comfortable. It seems like I've kind of tried everything though lol. Maybe he is just a grumpy lil guy.
I wish I could be more helpful but I don't know what to say besides time and patience. He may come around one day. It's obvious you love him and respect his space. I would just continue to do that. If my guy is extremely angry I just kind of step back and change the subject by singing or being silly. He can't resist that.