• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African grey bonding to one person, can this be changed?

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
My african grey (got her almost two weeks ago) first started out acting terrified of my husband. She has now today, let him scratch her head and is coming over to him when he approaches the cage. She is lunging at me if I try to get anywhere near her. I am going to be the one home with her all the time, so this concerns me. Is it possible she will bond to me even if he is her "chosen" one? Help guys! Ive been crying for 2 hours. :(:(

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Who they will bond to is completely up to the bird. Sometimes no matter how hard we try to connect with them, it simply doesn't change the bird's perspective as to who's the chosen one.
Chloe is still very new to your environment. She could select your husband this month, but then switch over to you.

I have a Panama Amazon who, to this day, 5 years later, won't bond with me, even though I'm the sole caregiver. I still love him dearly and enjoy his silly antics and funny vocalizations. But I'm resigned to the fact that he only has eyes for my son.

The only time I can pick him up is if he flies away from his cage and wants a ride back to it. Those moments I savor.

Chloe is new with you. Again, please give her time to adjust and settle in, loving her unconditionally as everyone's relationship together evolves.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Wow. 5 years!? Thats crazy that you do all the nice things for her and she still hasnt bonded with you. Im quite scared thats what may end up happening here too. Being an african grey, its hard to read her sometimes but I am trying my absolute hardest. Shes here to stay without a doubt and I am so happy to have given her a home. I just hope that time will tell and with patience she will evolve to love both of us. Its just tough and heartbreaking but I know its her decision.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Two weeks really is no time. Your bird is still adjusting to her home. A bird will pick as their person who they want. There's not much you can do about that but that doesn't mean you can't have a good relationship with your bird too. You just need to work on building trust with her. Take things slow and be patient. :)

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Two weeks really is no time. Your bird is still adjusting to her home. A bird will pick as their person who they want. There's not much you can do about that but that doesn't mean you can't have a good relationship with your bird too. You just need to work on building trust with her. Take things slow and be patient. :)
Yeah, 2 weeks is short compared to some of these stories I have read. What so strange is a few days ago, she would shriek in his presence and poof up real big and tell him to "go!" and now shes coming over to him when he goes up to the cage, he said scratch scratch to her and she lets him touch her. He did this once and she did bite but almost every time she lets him. He is too scared to ask her to step up and honestly I think its bc he doesnt want to hurt my feelings further when she does it. But its just so strange to me. The only time she really comes to me is if I have a massive thing of millet in my hand. Ill give her a little piece and she runs back to the perch. A lot of the time I will go to talk to her and sit next to her and she will turn her back to me.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Do you think perhaps if I move her cage to the living room and then I stay in there to spend more time with her with just me around it would help? Right now shes in the computer room with us and we are both present at all times. I was thinking maybe if I put her cage in there, and sit her next to my chair, she would learn to get used to me more? Just a thought I had, correct me if its a bad thing to do!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Greys can also become super tuned in to their caregivers' emotions. Remaining open, calm and relaxed around her will speak volumes.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do you think perhaps if I move her cage to the living room and then I stay in there to spend more time with her with just me around it would help? Right now shes in the computer room with us and we are both present at all times. I was thinking maybe if I put her cage in there, and sit her next to my chair, she would learn to get used to me more? Just a thought I had, correct me if its a bad thing to do!
I don't think it's a bad idea. She should be wherever most of the household activity is. And sometimes who a bird is initially most comfortable with depends on who took care of them before. Was her former owner a male? My cockatiel Sunny was technically my fiancé's bird. However, Sunny didn't know that. He picked me and that's all there was to it. He eventually developed a relationship with my fiancé. If I wasn't home, Sunny was fine hanging out with the fiancé but once I came home he pretty much ignored the fiancé's existence. My cockatoo on the other hand initially picked my fiancé. He could give all the cuddles etc and Elvis basically tolerated me. We've had Elvis for about a year and a half now and that's changed. The relationship between Elvis and the fiancé has become complicated including the fiancé getting some bad bites. Whereas I can basically do anything to Elvis, including holding him like a football tucked under my arm and he'll let me. So, I think you just have to give your bird time to sort things out. You never want to force her to do things (unless it's for safety reasons) but time, praise and attention can usually win a bird over to some degree. :)

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Greys can also become super tuned in to their caregivers' emotions. Remaining open, calm and relaxed around her will speak volumes.
Yes i have heard of this before, my sobbing around her probably isnt helping. My husband and I are sitting here chatting and she just started hissing ... ( I am calmed down at this point) and since were both in the room, idk what shes hissing about either.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
I don't think it's a bad idea. She should be wherever most of the household activity is. And sometimes who a bird is initially most comfortable with depends on who took care of them before. Was her former owner a male? My cockatiel Sunny was technically my fiancé's bird. However, Sunny didn't know that. He picked me and that's all there was to it. He eventually developed a relationship with my fiancé. If I wasn't home, Sunny was fine hanging out with the fiancé but once I came home he pretty much ignored the fiancé's existence. My cockatoo on the other hand initially picked my fiancé. He could give all the cuddles etc and Elvis basically tolerated me. We've had Elvis for about a year and a half now and that's changed. The relationship between Elvis and the fiancé has become complicated including the fiancé getting some bad bites. Whereas I can basically do anything to Elvis, including holding him like a football tucked under my arm and he'll let me. So, I think you just have to give your bird time to sort things out. You never want to force her to do things (unless it's for safety reasons) but time, praise and attention can usually win a bird over to some degree. :)
We are mostly in the computer room about 98 percent of the time. Litterally all day, so thats where we have her is in there with us , but if she continues to bond closer and closer to him, I may have to move her to the living room and sit in there with her and move my desk in there so its just her and I. I dont mind her liking my husband and I dont mean to sound bratty about it, Its just important she has a bond with me if possible because he will be starting his new job monday and I will be the one home with her almost the whole day. Her former owners was an elderly couple. Im not too sure who did all the caring for her but I believe it was the man. Hes the one who gave me a lot of the info about her and always talked about changing her food, etc. I used to have a goffins cockatoo that loved us both dearly. I am hoping that patience and rewards and praise will change the situation for us and she will bond to both of us. Elvis is just the cutest name! Haha! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
We are mostly in the computer room about 98 percent of the time. Litterally all day, so thats where we have her is in there with us , but if she continues to bond closer and closer to him, I may have to move her to the living room and sit in there with her and move my desk in there so its just her and I. I dont mind her liking my husband and I dont mean to sound bratty about it, Its just important she has a bond with me if possible because he will be starting his new job monday and I will be the one home with her almost the whole day. Her former owners was an elderly couple. Im not too sure who did all the caring for her but I believe it was the man. Hes the one who gave me a lot of the info about her and always talked about changing her food, etc. I used to have a goffins cockatoo that loved us both dearly. I am hoping that patience and rewards and praise will change the situation for us and she will bond to both of us. Elvis is just the cutest name! Haha! :)
Thank you. We didn't name him. We adopted him and that was the name he came with. And he says "Elvis" like 50 times a day so there's no changing it. LOL. Although I wouldn't have named him that initially, his name certainly fits him.

If your husband is going to be starting a new job Monday, I would probably just leave her where she is for now. No sense disrupting her even more for just a few days. I think she just needs time to settle in.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Thank you. We didn't name him. We adopted him and that was the name he came with. And he says "Elvis" like 50 times a day so there's no changing it. LOL. Although I wouldn't have named him that initially, his name certainly fits him.

If your husband is going to be starting a new job Monday, I would probably just leave her where she is for now. No sense disrupting her even more for just a few days. I think she just needs time to settle in.
Aww I can imagine "Elvis! Elvis! Elvis" I was considering naming my daughter Chloe if I ever had one, like dead set on it, and I have endometriosis so its been hard to have children. I told my husband I would adopt a bird just in case we couldnt have kids, and I would just treat my bird as my child, and spoil him/her rotten. And sure enough this little grey is for adoption and they said her name was Chloe. I felt like it was meant to be! (another reason im sad she isnt bonding to me as well) Now we dont know if Chloe is a boy or girl for sure, but she knows her name so its here to stay! Yeah I think I will just leave her for now. See how things change in the next couple weeks.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Lucy(CAG) took one look at my husband and was in love. However if he was not around I was ok in her book :D
Haha! I would be satisfied if that happened in our situation too! Just PLEEEASSE let me have one little head scratch! Just one! What is it with our birdies liking these sexy men? Its not fair. Arent we sexy too!?:rofl:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your relationship with the bird will never be like your husband. You can and will establish your own unique relationship with him "in time". Not weeks or even months. You will establish this relationship when hubby is nowhere to be found. If he is "known" to be close by, even out of sight you need to step back and put your guard up. Whatever you do, do NOT flirt with the enemy in front of the bird. Don't be showing hubby affection or be touching/sitting close etc. Them's fightin' words in bird world.

I've lived this scenario for more than a decade. You will persevere. :)

If you haven't read this you should. Lots of insight and ways to move forward.

Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Your relationship with the bird will never be like your husband. You can and will establish your own unique relationship with him "in time". Not weeks or even months. You will establish this relationship when hubby is nowhere to be found. If he is "known" to be close by, even out of sight you need to step back and put your guard up. Whatever you do, do NOT flirt with the enemy in front of the bird. Don't be showing hubby affection or be touching/sitting close etc. Them's fightin' words in bird world.

I've lived this scenario for more than a decade. You will persevere. :)

If you haven't read this you should. Lots of insight and ways to move forward.

Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine
Thank You for the information! I will read the article. I know this process will take time. I am not sure how this has happened, but it has! I went over to her cage a few minutes ago to sit and talk next to her. She gets out of her cage, runs to the oppisite side on the top, I get up to leave her alone because I found she was frightened by me, and as im walking away, shes inching to go back into her cage, by time she reaches the door of her cage, my back is next to her at that moment and she leans back and runs away quickly like shes terrified and starts shaking. For whatever reason, I cant seem to understand what I have done wrong. I am calm with her, give her treats, I change her food every morning, and the only time I ever try to touch her before is going up to her and wiggling my finger very slightly and saying "scratch scratch" (advice from previous owners" and she acts terrified, tries to lunge and bite me. Hubby does this, she runs to him and lets him scratch her. But two days ago, she was scared of him too. Weirdest thing is she rarely sees any part of my husband other than the back of his head as he sits there playing his games. He very occasionaly, maybe 3 times a day will walk by and say "hello bird". Its just unfair :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You didn't do anything wrong. This is a very common scenario that happens all the time. I would suggest your hubby read the article too because he is "the" big factor. He could make things worse or better depending on how he behaves. Personally I would limit hubby's exposure as much as possible for now (don't feed the fire) to give you time to become more valuable.

Anything "negative" that needs to be done. Hubby does it because he can do no wrong. All the good pleasurable things you do/provide to build that trust and respect.

You're in for a rough ride for a while. Buckle up.

Last edited:

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
You didn't do anything wrong. This is a very common scenario that happens all the time. I would suggest your hubby read the article too because he is "the" big factor. He could make things worse or better depending on how he behaves. Personally I would limit hubby's exposure as much as possible for now (don't feed the fire).
Okay, I just read the article , especially the part about "my bird loves me but hates my husband" . So correct me if im wrong, but does this mean we both dont need to be in the same room at the same time with the bird? Does this also mean that when my husband starts going back to work next week, and im the only one home with the bird , she will then become more trusting of me? Possibly? haha. I will try to get him to read it, but I can barely get him to read anything. I think hes just currently a little agitated with me for crying all day about this and seems to be fed up with it all so I will have to just explain it to him the best I can for tonight and hopefully he cares to listen :)

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Long story short, I keep saying things like "she likes you " and he just tells me he doesnt think that and she doesnt like him either. I dont think hes understanding whats going on, or hes just getting tired of hearing it. LOL He still thinks shes tricking him or something into a bite and I keep telling him she is showing signs of liking him by letting him touch her head, etc. She has bit him once, but hes gotten further than I have so either he really thinks she is tricking him somehow or he doesnt want to hurt my feelings by admitting what is obviously the truth. :rolleyes:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So correct me if im wrong, but does this mean we both dont need to be in the same room at the same time with the bird?
If he is in in the room. You are the competition/intruder. If he is not around then you are just another flock mate. But if hubby is in the kitchen clinking dishes the bird will know he's there and you are instant be demoted to dirt level again. The bird needs to think in his mind that lover boy is not there so you can work on the relationship. It's a mind game and trickery can be used.

Does this also mean that when my husband starts going back to work next week, and im the only one home with the bird , she will then become more trusting of me? Possibly?
That is the only way.