• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African grey bonding to one person, can this be changed?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Okay, Thank You! I will, I still love her and will be a good momma to her of course! It does hurt pretty bad but its just her choice. I think your right about what he is saying, just to spare my feelings. My husband is the type though that would never admit it. Im just gonna have to talk with him about it some more. Hopefully she will switch her affections in the future :)
I'm going to tell you this out of honesty. Because you are the primary caregiver you don't really want this bird to choose you because if he did you would be CONSTANTLY barraged with mating behaviour and your husband would probably move out because of the attacking.

This is a blessing in disguise. Trust me. Just give it time and you will have a "better" relationship with the bird because it will be a "friendship". Not an unnatural problematic mate bond relationship.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You won't even know or understand his behaviours until you've had him one full season (a year or more) because you won't see them all until that.

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
You won't even know or understand his behaviours until you've had him one full season (a year or more) because you won't see them all until that.
Yes, I have the moment this all happened on video. I do believe its a hormonal little dance she was doing. AND i am almost dead set on this bird being a MALE now because of the way the wings dropped and the tail was down and not up. Are you saying she may start attacking me or my husband? So far its been me that she has bitten last night. She let him pick her up.

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Another thought, maybe you are being to "pushy" for her comfort. Try backing off a bit. Sit a little farther away from her. Read to her but don't look at her. If she runs away to the back of the cage when you approach them just walk by her cage and drop a treat in her bowl and keep moving. Don't look at her when you do this. If you are not cleaning her cage or changing food and water don't linger close to her cage. Closely observe when she starts getting uncomfortable when you approach her cage and take a small step back. Use that point as your interaction point. Sit your chair at that distance so your side is facing her cage. Then talk to her, read to her, sing to her or simply sit and play games on your phone. Then slowly (over weeks or months) move your chair closer as she becomes more comfortable.
I understand what you are saying. Yesterday, up until last night was an actually improved day for her and I. She wouldnt shake when I was near, acted interested in me talking to her, even came to the cage door for once. I thought she was actually interested me, though not once did I ask her for anything until she flew down from the cage and needed my help on the perch. I have been working in this way for about a week now, after others have given me the same advice you have, and its been good progress. Though, in the first place, my husband didnt want anything to do with her other than the occasional hello. He said he didnt do it on purpose, he was just gaming and didnt think about it. I think she chose him because he didnt have interaction with him at all.

Rong

Sitting on the front steps
My african grey (got her almost two weeks ago) first started out acting terrified of my husband. She has now today, let him scratch her head and is coming over to him when he approaches the cage. She is lunging at me if I try to get anywhere near her. I am going to be the one home with her all the time, so this concerns me. Is it possible she will bond to me even if he is her "chosen" one? Help guys! Ive been crying for 2 hours. :(:(
Hello,whats the update?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Whats the update?
This thread is from 2018 and the member you are requesting an update from has not been on this forum since 2019, so it is unlikely you will receive a response.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Lol this came up in the new posts and I was thinking oh another african grey story so kept reading the first page until I saw a few of @JLcribber John's replies then saw the date. OMG.
Long time to wait for an update lol if they are still members?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
This thread is from 2018 and the member you are requesting an update from has not been on this forum since 2019, so it is unlikely you will receive a response.
Is this thread about the first or second bird? I seem to recall the OP rehomed the first bird they got pretty soon after getting it and got another who seemed to like her more to replace it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is this thread about the first or second bird? I seem to recall the OP rehomed the first bird they got pretty soon after getting it and got another who seemed to like her more to replace it.
I'm not sure. I just know this is an old thread :lol:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
All the yellow sticky thread at the top of the African grey forum are good reading if you haven't read them yet.
Like this one

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Pamela Clark is a great resource
Here is one of her articles