• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

advice on aggressive adolescent?

diitrex

Moving in
Real Name
Emma
hi!!
I've had my GCC since he was a baby. hes about 2 and a half right now, and has become incredibly aggressive and territorial over the past few weeks. he wont let me anywhere near his cage, and if anyone is near him when he's out of his cage, he will try to attack their faces/eyes. it all happened very suddenly. he used to be a little cage aggressive, but ever since mating season has rolled around it has gotten ten times worse. any help at all would be greatly appreciated. there has been no change to his diet (quarter of a hardboiled egg, some apple carrots and blueberries for breakfast, Tropican pellets during the day) and he's still eating just fine. he's also still playing with his toys, and doesnt seem overly bored.

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
:bump4:

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
He's 2 1/2 years? Or months? Definitely hormonal symptoms. What is his sleep routine like? This time of year the days get longer (at least in the US) and it triggers them to mate, so I increase their dark time and it definitely helps. My conure is on a strict 12 hours dark right now. Increasing foraging can help too, keeps them busy.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If he's getting egg every day, then cut it back to no more than once or twice a week.

Start training through the cage bars. Teach him to target to any location within the cage - through the bars.

Have him reach through the bars for the reward, offer the reward via a spoon or a cup, or drop the reward into treat cups that you can place around the cage for ease of access for him while training.