• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed

Fleebee13

Moving in
Real Name
Lee-Anne Spencer
Hi there, I'm the owner of two rescue Lorikeets.First is Asher he is 6mths I've reared since I foundhim at 4wks. He became ever demanding with me to the point I was u able to even go to the toilet without him barking for me, I decided to get him amate and a cage since he was free range all that time. The mate is a 6mth old female I named Bella, the problem now is I cannot get anywhere nearAsher as she Huff's and gutterly growls I'm trying so hard with her, I am covered in bites and not the gentle kind either, it's made me so emotional and I need advice on how to deal with her. She has had one previous owner other than the rescue woman. I don't want to give up on her as they have bonded. I understand the attacking within the cage as that is her domain but when they are out in their play room she's just so very nasty toward me. What do you think I can do? Just persevere?
I'd greatly appreciate any advice given this is my fist time dealing with a demanding breed, I'veonly ever owned a budgie which as you know is acomplete kettle of fish. I've had Bella for a month now, my situation isnt ideal atm with my mum babysitting my feathered ones until I can move into a suitable home, unfortunately she won't let them out of their cage as she's in fear of being bitten so I visit every 2nd day and take them out to play for about 4hrs my wish is to only have a cage for sleeping though I respect mum's wishes as it's her home they are in for now. Thank you for any words of wisdom. Lee

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

Welcome to the Avenue, hopefully someone will help you with some information and advice soon :)

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
The simple answer is jealousy. Bella sees you as Asher's old girlfriend that continues to hang around. During their private conversations (yes they will be talking to each other) Asher is obviously singing your praises and this will be causing Bella to lash out at you. I advise lots and lots of talking to Bella and trying to assure her that she is Asher's woman now and that you don't want to interfere in their relationship. Also hands off is probably a good idea too. As time goes on Bella should begin to see you as less of a threat. Talk, talk, talk; they can understand just about everything you say to them. Good luck.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've had Bella for a month now, my situation isnt ideal atm with my mum babysitting my feathered ones until I can move into a suitable home, unfortunately she won't let them out of their cage as she's in fear of being bitten so I visit every 2nd day and take them out to play for about 4hrs
Until this changes, your relationship with Bella will not improve.
You need to be with these birds everyday, with lots of out of cage time so that Bella gets a chance to come out and explore in her own time. Asher already has a good relationship with you, and in time, it could help Bella to feel safe around you.

Also, you have only had Bella for 1 month, it will take a lot longer than that to start forming a relationship.
Just persevere?
Yes. It could take months, it could take a year, who knows. But patience is key. :)

When I found Aldora, I was in a similar situation to you. She bonded to Jaime but was very protective of him, their cage, everything. She would bite, hard. But nevertheless, I always let her out of the cage to fly and do as she pleased. She would eventually come to sit with me. She sits on me and stares at me.
She doesn´t like hands, but we´ve got to a point where, every once in a while she will come and sit on my hand. It´s a good feeling.
Our relationship has definitely improved. The key factors were: -me learning what makes her bite and avoiding those situations. -learning her warning signs when she´s unhappy. -Jaime. - Time. -Patience.

Pictures - Today the bird gives the human a reward. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Fleebee13

Moving in
Real Name
Lee-Anne Spencer
The simple answer is jealousy. Bella sees you as Asher's old girlfriend that continues to hang around. During their private conversations (yes they will be talking to each other) Asher is obviously singing your praises and this will be causing Bella to lash out at you. I advise lots and lots of talking to Bella and trying to assure her that she is Asher's woman now and that you don't want to interfere in their relationship. Also hands off is probably a good idea too. As time goes on Bella should begin to see you as less of a threat. Talk, talk, talk; they can understand just about everything you say to them. Good luck.
Thank you, I sought of had the feeling she felt threatened by my presence and relationship with Asher and yes im sure she says many things about me as she's always mumbling under her breath at me. I will endeavour to gain her trust and in time hopefully she'll realise imI no longer a threat

Fleebee13

Moving in
Real Name
Lee-Anne Spencer
Until this changes, your relationship with Bella will not improve.
You need to be with these birds everyday, with lots of out of cage time so that Bella gets a chance to come out and explore in her own time. Asher already has a good relationship with you, and in time, it could help Bella to feel safe around you.

Also, you have only had Bella for 1 month, it will take a lot longer than that to start forming a relationship.

Yes. It could take months, it could take a year, who knows. But patience is key. :)

When I found Aldora, I was in a similar situation to you. She bonded to Jaime but was very protective of him, their cage, everything. She would bite, hard. But nevertheless, I always let her out of the cage to fly and do as she pleased. She would eventually come to sit with me. She sits on me and stares at me.
She doesn´t like hands, but we´ve got to a point where, every once in a while she will come and sit on my hand. It´s a good feeling.
Our relationship has definitely improved. The key factors were: -me learning what makes her bite and avoiding those situations. -learning her warning signs when she´s unhappy. -Jaime. - Time. -Patience.

Pictures - Today the bird gives the human a reward. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Thank you for this, I assumed this would be the case it's hard on both myself and them at the moment so I should understand consistency and time is key. It just breaks my heart she despises me atm. Hopefully we'll all be together soon so routine can take place and trust and love from her will eventually follow. Thanks again

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It just breaks my heart she despises me atm.
She doesn´t despise you. She doesn´t even know you. She´s been through a lot. A month ago she had a whole other life, and since then, she has lived with you, then been sent to your mums where she´s not allowed out of her cage.
She will be confused and scared.

and trust and love from her will eventually follow.
In the same respect, there´s no guarantee she will show you affection in the future. All you should ever wish for her, is that she is happy and feels safe. Also she doesn´t have to trust you just because she spent X amount of time living with you, that trust must be earnt

I know for sure Aldora doesn´t ¨love¨me. But I know she is happy with Jaime. I´m fine with not being able to hold her or touch her, she knows she can land on me and I won´t push the boundaries. She trusts me, sometimes - it´s a working progress..

Bella is still young, and you should really be working on that bond now.
I really hope you can sort something out with your living arrangement soon.

Good luck :)