• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting Elderly Cockatiel Advice

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
So at the moment, I do NOT have said Cockatiel. I have the Quarantine process list set, this isn't what I'm asking about. :tiel2:

A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend's friend passed away, leaving behind a male 16 year old Lutino Cockatiel named Ian. Because the family wants absolutely nothing to do with the bird, and I am the only one in the vicinity who can take it (again, a friend of a friend etc. etc. lead to me), because I actually know birds and have owned a Cockatiel before.
I am told the Cockatiel is coming with his cage and toys - I do not know about food etc. I assume I will find out about it soon, but I don't plan on changing anything for awhile with him.

My main concern IS his age. I've never had an elderly bird before (Phoenix died suddenly at 9 years old, Watson died ~3 months old, and Dawson is just 2 years old), so I'm nervous. Other than keeping his cage/toys/food in as much of a same state as possible, what can I do not to stress him? What can I do to hopefully not stress him to death? I'm terrified I'll get him and the next day he'll be dead.

I have no idea what his routine was like - again, friend of a friend of a friend - and the family involved doesn't seem to have any liking or concern for the bird. I have no idea how the bird was taken care of, but from pictures he seems Flighted and Friendly? He also can sing, so I mean that has to be something.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Aww...don't be terrified. I have 4 tiels (soon to be 5 :D) I am guessing my oldest (Buddy) is at least 16 yrs old. He is a pet store bird. I originally purchased him for me. At that time, my sister purchased a pied gray/yellow for her daughter for her birthday. We were told that this gray had a "girl-friend" that someone purchased and now my sis purchases this pied who Buddy has since bonded to. I let sis keep the pied at my home until her daughter's birthday...in the meantime - since I have such a soft spot for tiels - this gray is tugging at my heart strings...I go visit him the next day...he is still available...they offered me a discount since he is a little sassy/feisty...I bring him home. Sis tells me the pied she purchased will be lonely...and I give in and let Buddy also be a present to my niece. 8 months later...the 2 tiels are brought over to my home while my sister and family go out of town for a wedding. That was almost 16 years ago! The pied has since passed...but I still have Buddy. :) Over the years, he has bonded to three other tiels of mine and currently bonded to my lutino who is much younger. Buddy is still very active, still displays hormonal behavior...he is fully flighted - can keep up with my other tiels that are 6-7 years old.

No set amount of time is guaranteed for any of our birds...One of my tiels passed at 15 1/2 , and 2 about 10 years. There are members here that have tiels that are older. @sunnysmom, I think her Sunny is about 20.

If you decide to take him into your home...follow quarantine suggestions...and whatever other advice usually given when bringing a new bird into your home...let him/her adjust to the new surroundings, speak softly, offer treats, etc. Sing back to him...see how he reacts...I think tiels have been known to be quite resilient to adjusting to a new home.

It saddens me that his current family wants nothing to do with him:(. But probably best for him if they want to rehome him. You may need to keep some his current foods so he still eats while attempting to convert him to a more healthy diet. If his current family wants nothing to do with him - I don't imagine his selection of toys is all that great and stimulating. You may want to offer some new toys...My tiels love things they can easily shred...balsa, finger traps, mohagony pods, very thin pine slices, palm strips...

My best to Ian and you if you decide to bring him into your home :hug8:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
be ready for him or her to do some mourning, their owner has passed on and you are new person. try and find out what type schedule the bird is on, whether or not it's covered at night, music it likes, food and water set up within the cage. try to keep the perches the same way for a while. be prepared for a few good nips too, Bebe has reminded me to go slow while in his cage.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
16 is not that old. You don't treat him any different than a 2 year old. If/when you notice the bird has a physical issue because of its age (or whatever) then you adjust accordingly. It boils down to you putting those observation skills into nuclear and reacting according to whats presented. You have to get to know this bird like any other bird, which takes time.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
If it's any help, last September I adopted a tiel from an AA member. Sonny's OH had passed away and he kept screaming no matter how things were changed to try and calm him down. He was banded (removed at first vet visit) and it turns out that Sonny is actually 22 years old. Granted I have a flock of tiels but sonny doesn't fly. He became infatuated with another male tiel who also cannot fly and devotedly follows Theo around. There was no schedule or anything else for Sonny, I just gave him his space and let him figure out what he wanted to do. He isn't hand friendly and will only step up to a rope perch though every now and then he forgets himself and steps on to my hand. the rest of the time he hisses and lunges and will bite if I get too close.

If you can take him in, I'd say do so. At 16 he may still have many more years of life and even if he isn't hand friendly at the very least he'll be well taken care of. He might even surprise you and be the nicest of tiels. You won't know unless you try either. I don't mean this to be a guilt trip, but what will they do with him if you (the crazy bird lady) doesn't take him?
Signed:

Another Crazy Bird Lady

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for thinking about taking the 'tiel into your home. He may be frightened because he has been moved from somewhere familiar to a new home and will probably miss his person. Just be patient and calm with him. I am assuming that he would come with his cage and the same food he has been eating so continue to be consistent with his diet. One of my 'tiels lived for 23 years so you don't know how many more years might be ahead for the guy.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
If it's any help, last September I adopted a tiel from an AA member. Sonny's OH had passed away and he kept screaming no matter how things were changed to try and calm him down. He was banded (removed at first vet visit) and it turns out that Sonny is actually 22 years old. Granted I have a flock of tiels but sonny doesn't fly. He became infatuated with another male tiel who also cannot fly and devotedly follows Theo around. There was no schedule or anything else for Sonny, I just gave him his space and let him figure out what he wanted to do. He isn't hand friendly and will only step up to a rope perch though every now and then he forgets himself and steps on to my hand. the rest of the time he hisses and lunges and will bite if I get too close.

If you can take him in, I'd say do so. At 16 he may still have many more years of life and even if he isn't hand friendly at the very least he'll be well taken care of. He might even surprise you and be the nicest of tiels. You won't know unless you try either. I don't mean this to be a guilt trip, but what will they do with him if you (the crazy bird lady) doesn't take him?
Signed:

Another Crazy Bird Lady
If I don't take him, I have no idea. It seems they just want to get rid of him, and whatever that implies - whether dumping him on another bird lady or taking to a shelter or [god forbid] just releasing him...I don't know.
I don't plan on moving anything in his cage, and I /hope/ I'll be given whatever is left of his food. I have no idea what his situation was beforehand, whether he lived with this old owner alone, or he was his owner's in the house of the family.
I was hoping I could get SOME information, but due to the distaste this family has for him, I doubt I can get any information.

Thank you all for these kind words! I hope it goes well; I don't plan on rushing him, and I understand he'll be grieving, but I just want to make him comfortable.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think you have to worry about his age right now. I sure do hope you get him. Welcome him into your home as you would a young tiel. Take it slow. Let him get accustomed to you and your home. Let him come around. He will and it will all work out well. :) I can't wait to that you have him.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Klomonx It may just be that the have that line of thought that (a) it's just a bird and (b) that birds are dirty. The fact that you're concerned about his well-being and have thought about his care is worth it's weight in gold. Please let us know how things go for both of you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sunny came to live with us when he was 15. He will be 20 this year. It's actually almost his bedtime. One thing is the older he gets the earlier he likes to go to bed. And then I have to leave for a bit but will post some suggestions tomorrow. : )

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
It may take him a little while to settle in. But it sounds like right now he's with non bird people who probably aren't as sensitive to his situation. You sound like you will be! I have a feeling it will be a relief for him to come to you however long it takes him to settle in. So happy he is finding a nice home with an experienced person who cares!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
When we first got Sunny, we thought he was "old" because all the bird books said that tiels' average life span is 12-15 years. I therefore think initially I treated him like he was old and frail. Once I became better educated and got to know Sunny, I realized that 15 really wasn't that old and that he certainly didn't act old. He is still smart, silly, playful, inquisitive, etc. All the things that a younger bird is, just with more naps. :) Sunny is a little cautious though about new toys. I'm not sure if that's just him generally or because I don't think he had a lot of toys before. He also is very, very attached to his cage. I don't know if your possible new tiel had the same cage his whole life but Sunny did. I bought him a new one when we first got him and he wants nothing to do with it. And since, Sunny is rarely in his cage, I decided to just let him keep his old one. Sunny really does not like hard food- like if pellets are too hard, seeds to large, etc. But loves softer foods like rice, pasta, cous cous, etc. I also give him senior nutriberries because they have supplements aimed at helping older birds. Sunny has had some health problems. He has trouble maintaining his good bacteria level. Our vet- Dr. Dorn, who you know. :)- thinks it's age-related. So Sunny gets daily probiotics. If you get this tiel, I think just like with any other bird, you just have to try to take things at his own pace. And don't think because he's "old" that he can't still learn new things, etc. Sunny surprises me all the time. : )

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I would say go for it. You don't know how long he will be with you, but that time (even if it is short) will be cherished by him and you.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
Some long drawn-out drama later (long story), and being given an ultimatum that 'someone else' can go get him before we can, we SHOULD be getting him tonight ~7pm my time. I'll update this with how it goes.

Jazzy*

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
I hope everything goes well with picking him up tonight.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
So I have Ian. Let me explain what's up.

What I know about his past situation
: His original owner, as far as I know, has had him these ~16 years. No idea where he came from, but I'm going to assume pet store based on his cage and care. His original owner was in her 50/60's and died very very suddenly sometime in April. In fact, she died the day she was going to take him to get his nails cut. Since then he has been moved from his original owner's house, to X other person's, who is wheelchair bound with a small dog. More stress. He is now with me.

His Health: He's skinny. Not sure if it's normal skinny or not, his keel? Breast bone? Looks very pronounced, which worries me. He's missing feathers on the underside of his wings (is this normal and just because he's white this is noticeable? Dawson has a lot of down under his wings), on his shoulders (they're like pin-prick so I imagine they were trauma based on what I'll go on to explain), and under his crown. He is clean, otherwise. One wing is clipped, the other is not. Most disturbingly: his talons are around an inch long. I am calling the vet ASAP. I'd rather talk directly than leave a message, so this will be done tomorrow.

His Cage: His cage is, forgive my language, shizz. He has a cheapy charlie cage like this. It's put together so wrong, it's main door opens INWARD rather than out. When we get him settled (or if he well, survives), we're gonna give him Phoenix's old sleep cage, which is still on the small side but much better quality. He had a few toys but they're all thrown out due to the fact they were so disgustingly kept or broken. He's on a seed diet, which I'm not gonna change until, again, he gets settled.
We completely cleaned the wholeeee thing because it was in disgusting condition.

Some pictures - the cage he's in is the travel cage. I destroyed it when we got home in order to get him out, it was impossible otherwise. It was given to us along with him, not mine.

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
he is a beauty and I hope that he settles in quickly.