• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting budgies!

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
A distant friend of mine has 2 budgies (a male and female), and they were well bonded with, but when his family got their dog they were basically abandoned. Now they just sit in the garage, and the only attention paid to them is giving them food+water/cleaning their cage as far as i'm aware. When my close friend told me this, I instantly wanted to adopt them and asked my dad, who was ok as long as they were ok. I currently have a GCC which I keep in my room, so if I took in the budgies (which i probably will soon), would it be better to keep them in the same room but far apart (can still see each other slightly) or keep them in separate rooms? And also, when I bond with my conure (he isn't fully tame yet) I usually do it in front of his cage since he won''t let me take him around yet. Would it be better to let all my birds out at once or play with my conure first, then the budgies once they settle in? The only problem I could see with this is that my conure loves my attention whenever I am in the room, and I don't know how he reacts to other birds besides conures.
Thanks in advance!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
The budgies willbe fine by themselves as they are bonded & the green cheek will pick on them or they will pick on the green cheek so I would not have them out togther.

I think the best thing would be to get a flight cage for the budgies as I suppose they are in some small cage too & keep them seperate fro the GCC.

Just be sure you think the budgies are not sick but you will have to do quarantine anyway.

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
The budgies willbe fine by themselves as they are bonded & the green cheek will pick on them or they will pick on the green cheek so I would not have them out togther.

I think the best thing would be to get a flight cage for the budgies as I suppose they are in some small cage too & keep them seperate fro the GCC.

Just be sure you think the budgies are not sick but you will have to do quarantine anyway.
Would it be ok if i just kept them out of sight of each other?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Quarantine has to be as far apart as you can.

You don;t want to chance them passing illess to you GCC.