• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Acting like she’s gonna regurgitate?

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hey so I noticed yesterday and today, finally when Kiwi will start playing with me, then snuggling, then back to playing, and she’ll get super excited and then stop and make the motion when she’s going to regurgitate ( Which I know this from watching videos and researching it ). Kiwi is only about 5 months old, so I thought this only happened with older birds or around mating season? Is it normal for her to act like she’s going to regurgitate? Nothing has come out yet, and I hope it stays this way!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
To me it seems like bonding behaviour. I never discouraged any of my birds from doing this, there's always pros and cons to everything. Other members will be able to explain this better than me but I'll be following. I believe in the beginning they probably won't bring up any seeds, but with practice they get the knack.

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Likely bonding...I think they watch the older birds and likely mimic things they’ve seen. Distract her with play. Just make sure she doesn’t have sour breath after.

You definitely don’t want to encourage it. I’ve seen birds that do it all over everything...of course worse case scenario.

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Likely bonding...I think they watch the older birds and likely mimic things they’ve seen. Distract her with play. Just make sure she doesn’t have sour breath after.

You definitely don’t want to encourage it. I’ve seen birds that do it all over everything...of course worse case scenario.
I usually calm her down with a soft voice and start giving her scratches which is a big distraction, so yeah. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t unnatural for a 5 month old bird to do this.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My bird has done this since he came home with me (about five or six months old). He only recently got to the point where he frequently brings food up and he is now 13 months old, before that he would do the motions and then re-eat/swallow what he had almost brought up. When he was younger he would only actually bring the food up once every now and then so it did seem more like he was practicing.
I try to either walk away or distract him so he stops regurgitating, I do not make a deal out of it but I kind of pretend I do not notice it and then make myself busy doing something else.