• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

About to lay an egg?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm worried about my budgie. The first year I had her she laid an egg overnight, and never laid one again. She is 4 now. I think she might be getting ready to lay.

She's all puffed up today, sleepy and will hold her tail up every now and then. I noticed she also is scratching at her vent area with her feet.

Do these sound like egg laying clues? Or could something else be wrong?

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Kacy I dont have any experience with this but hopefully someone will be along soon to help.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Before they lay (or just before..) their poops will usually get really big, and *sometimes* you can see a slight bulge on the vent area. None of my female Budgies scratched at their vent with their feet though, that is new to me. I would keep an eye on her for a bit, if she is puffed up and sleepy for too long, it may indicate that she is ill, if nothing changes I would have her seen asap.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm totally stressing out! she was perfectly fine yesterday. Hyper, excited, playful, climbing all over...

She is not hand tame at all...so I don't know how I would even get her to the vet without her going into shock or something.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Bump. Sorry!! Just really worried.

Her poop is not normal now. There is no green to it, she's not eating.

I went and checked on her and she's still all puffed up, and keeps picking at her vent area, with her feet and beak. She seems uncomfortable - having trouble sitting still.

Last edited:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Tips on how to remove her from the cage??! I'm trying to find an open vet.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Ok a local AV has 24 hour emergency services. I haven't used them before, but they are close and have good reviews on YELP.

I have no idea how I'm going to get her out of the cage. I'm so stressed out right now :(

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Towel her. Cover her completely up and put her in a carrier or a box with a lid. She could be egg bound.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Ok. I hope I can get her out without causing a ton of stress on her. Poor thing.

I'm calling the hospital right now.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
this is exactly what happened to Sweety..we thought it was an egg too...but turns out she had a tumor..she got all puffed up, tail bobbing and scratching at her vent....hopefully, that will not be the outcome for your birdie..but get her into a vet asap

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Is the cage too big to put in the car? Also, is she bearing down every now & then. Being egg bound is a medical emergancy. One thing they told me when I had an egg bound bird was that humidity can sometimes help. So I said, like next time I go into the bathroom, close the door & turn on all the hot water? And they said yes. That is a short term measure however. They told me egg binding in fatal about a third of the time. Best to be safe. If it isn't egg binding it still sounds like something that needs to be looked at ASAP!

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can this moved to the emergency section?

Can you put a washcloth in the palm of your hand and firmly put your hand around her to pick her up?

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
If you are still trying get her out of the cage, may I suggest you take her into the bathroom, shut the door, & cover the mirror (in case she escapes) before you towel her . Good luck...I'm saying prayers that all goes well.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Thanks for all the help.

We got her out of the cage. Didn't take long, but she's going to be mad at me for a bit! We held the travel cage up to the open cage door and spooked her to fly in.

She's really freaking out.

We are on our way now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Could someone please start a candle thread for us?! Thank you. :hug8:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck. I'm so glad you're on your way. Sending positive thoughts.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I was going to say she may be egg bound. I hope she will be okay though, so glad you are getting her seen.. I hope everything will be okay, keeping you both in my thoughts. Please keep us updated! :hug8: :hug8:

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Oh, Kacy, I hope she's okay! :hug8:

If you have to catch her again in the future (in case spooking her into the travel cage doesn't work), what you want to do is pinpoint her location and have someone else turn out the lights so that the room is *completely* dark. She will naturally freeze and you can catch her in a small washcloth or towel more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.